Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my car for over three weeks and have completed the initial run in period, so here are my initial thoughts on the latest MY21 facelift version ----------

1) Solid build quality, with just one minor rattle from rear driver side door.Will raise this at 3000 Km first inspection/ service.Paint is good and body panel fits are excellent.
2) Feels like a bigger car on freeways, cruises nicely and not too affected by wind. Generally feels surprisingly stable.
3) Handling is decent with very little body roll. Our Australian version apparently got a specific suspension tuning.Have not pushed too hard yet to test tyre grip.
4) Steering is OK, not fantastic, but reasonably direct.
5) Engine sounds very rough being a 3 cylinder, and it surprises me that road testers fail to mention this more. It actually sounds terrible. It has really good low down torque but I do not believe it makes maximum torque starting at 1500 RPM. it really need more like 2000-2200 RPM to start pulling properly. It will cruise a lower RPM, but find minimum speed for engine to feel comfortable in 5th gear is 70KPH.
6) Power does not continue building at much above 5500 RPM and pointless trying. It seems the detune from original use in Rio to now 99 Hp / 74kW has robbed the engine of its real potential revs range.
7) Gear change is very good, light yet positive. The gearing is generally very tall as result of low down torque charateristic of the turbo motor.
8) Interior finishes are good for the price apart from the heater/AC fan controls, which feel like cheap junk. Steering wheel and indicator stalks etc feel nice for the price. I added some 4 mm thick black felt to the front storage areas on console to isolate things from the hard plastic finish.
9) Seating is comfortable with decent lumbar support. However my wife finds the drivers seat does not lift enough for her being quite small. Perhaps some spacers under seat mounts might be a future project.
10) Noise levels are usually OK, but on really rough road surfaces a significant amount of tyre noise is heard. Wind noise is however low. It will be interesting to hear how JimKia goes with his extra soundproofing of the car floor, but I would like to also silence engine sound a bit also.
11) Infotainment system is nice and clear, and after some connection setting issues with my phone, it now connects with WIFI and Bluetooth, so runs Android Auto without need for cables. Sound quality is OK, but rear speaker volume is rubbish and they can hardly be heard, even after adjustment.
12) Total lack of door storage in rear doors is a bit poor. I was spoiled by our last city run about being a Honda Jazz with storage spaces everywhere, so I do think Kia could improve design a bit in this regard.
13) Fuel consumption is generally good, but on short trips to shops etc when the engine is cold seems to be very thirsty. Once warmed up it is fine.
14) Cosmetic appearance of this new model looks good in my opinion, with the red side stripes and red strips on grill. Unfortunately the fake rear exhaust grill on on rear bumper spoil the overall effect and I like the older version in this regard with twin real exhaust tips.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Great update, here in blighty still battling with KIA as the GT line doesn't have parking sensors (or the centre seat, spare wheel, sports pedals of the out going MY20etc) Kia have finally admitted that the "listed optional parking sensors" do not fit the MY21 so there is no way to have them unless you buy the "S" which has them as std. The other option of the Picanto 3 only has the non turbo 66hp slug fitted here (no 1.25 84hp or turbo 99hp option) onwards and upwards so they say ha ha PS it's probably a blessing the dealer lied and the one we ordered back in Nov didn't materialize as we have ice and snow now so the old Landy comes into it's own again, maybe life is trying to tell us something...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some extra comments I forgot to mention.

The trip meter has a dual feature- In addition to recording mileage and consumption since last fill/ reset, there is an automatic secondary screen that resets itself each morning, and records the same information for just trips taken that day. This secondary display appears briefly whenever you turn ignition off. Nice feature.
Fuel consumption figured given by trip system are consistently out by about 10% when checked by brimming to full, and dividing fuel used by distance. Example today's fill trip reported 5.7 l/100km actual calculated to be 6.3! This seems a common issue with manufacturers trying to fudge figures. My wife's 2016 Astra is terrible in this regard - at minimum 12-15% optimistic, and when I queried it with Holden Australia they claimed it only reports miles traveled not fuel used in idling. (Total nonsense as we use the Auto Shut Off feature). So Kia not too bad compared to some others, and car is generally economical once warmed up.

Infotainment system seems to have problem with music files on USB memory stick, as it does not like music in separate directories/ albums. It seems to get confused also when using "shuffle" option and tends to repeat recent songs. Hope to find a method of solving this issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have had my car for over three weeks and have completed the initial run in period, so here are my initial thoughts on the latest MY21 facelift version ----------

1) Solid build quality, with just one minor rattle from rear driver side door.Will raise this at 3000 Km first inspection/ service.Paint is good and body panel fits are excellent.
2) Feels like a bigger car on freeways, cruises nicely and not too affected by wind. Generally feels surprisingly stable.
3) Handling is decent with very little body roll. Our Australian version apparently got a specific suspension tuning.Have not pushed too hard yet to test tyre grip.
4) Steering is OK, not fantastic, but reasonably direct.
5) Engine sounds very rough being a 3 cylinder, and it surprises me that road testers fail to mention this more. It actually sounds terrible. It has really good low down torque but I do not believe it makes maximum torque starting at 1500 RPM. it really need more like 2000-2200 RPM to start pulling properly. It will cruise a lower RPM, but find minimum speed for engine to feel comfortable in 5th gear is 70KPH.
6) Power does not continue building at much above 5500 RPM and pointless trying. It seems the detune from original use in Rio to now 99 Hp / 74kW has robbed the engine of its real potential revs range.
7) Gear change is very good, light yet positive. The gearing is generally very tall as result of low down torque charateristic of the turbo motor.
8) Interior finishes are good for the price apart from the heater/AC fan controls, which feel like cheap junk. Steering wheel and indicator stalks etc feel nice for the price. I added some 4 mm thick black felt to the front storage areas on console to isolate things from the hard plastic finish.
9) Seating is comfortable with decent lumbar support. However my wife finds the drivers seat does not lift enough for her being quite small. Perhaps some spacers under seat mounts might be a future project.
10) Noise levels are usually OK, but on really rough road surfaces a significant amount of tyre noise is heard. Wind noise is however low. It will be interesting to hear how JimKia goes with his extra soundproofing of the car floor, but I would like to also silence engine sound a bit also.
11) Infotainment system is nice and clear, and after some connection setting issues with my phone, it now connects with WIFI and Bluetooth, so runs Android Auto without need for cables. Sound quality is OK, but rear speaker volume is rubbish and they can hardly be heard, even after adjustment.
12) Total lack of door storage in rear doors is a bit poor. I was spoiled by our last city run about being a Honda Jazz with storage spaces everywhere, so I do think Kia could improve design a bit in this regard.
13) Fuel consumption is generally good, but on short trips to shops etc when the engine is cold seems to be very thirsty. Once warmed up it is fine.
14) Cosmetic appearance of this new model looks good in my opinion, with the red side stripes and red strips on grill. Unfortunately the fake rear exhaust grill on on rear bumper spoil the overall effect and I like the older version in this regard with twin real exhaust tips.
How did you manage to set up your wireless android auto I have been trying with little in the was of success

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you manage to set up your wireless android auto I have been trying with little in the was of success
I could initially not wifi connect either- Had to go into "developer mode" in Android and enable something- Think it was Phone projection, but it took several attempts and then fine afterwards ! (My dealer had attempted before and had given up).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Found this- Think this was route I went--

Zen Secularis

Silver Product Expert

1/15/20

So, random question... Do you see "Wireless projection" in your Android Auto settings? And is it enabled? If not, enable it.

If you do not see this option, you will need to enable Android Auto Developer settings (if you have not already). Go into Android Auto settings (either from the AA app, or from the Phone settings, then Google, then Device Connections), and tap on the Version (at the bottom) until the warning comes up letting you know that you will be enabling them (you also get a countdown to know how many taps you have left).

From there, tap the three dots in the upper right, and select Developer settings. Once that opens, enable the "Add wireless projection settings" check box. Then exit and find the "Wireless projection" area and enable wireless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.