Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
E-Niro 4+ Jan 21, 70 plate
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have the UVO app for MY21 E-Niro with the latest updated software, which shows on the main sections in miles once logged in and refreshed, However there is a section at the bottom of the home page called "Charging/Energy" select this and it takes you to a sub section to show "Set charging limits" and "Energy Consumption" When I select Energy Consumption it shows everything in KM. Have tried everything I can think of to change with no luck. Any ideas?

Attachments

Super Moderator
1st off you need to change to the "Connect " App. Note they are closing UVO accounts down.

Which may help as many people said it fixed this issue.

If that does not work then try this.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st off you need to change to the "Connect " App. Note they are closing UVO accounts down.

Which may help as many people said it fixed this issue.

If that does not work then try this.

Thanks for the info,
I've downloaded the Connect app and set it up and also used the other link to set the Navigation settings to Miles. As if by magic Energy consumption now in miles (y)(y)(y)
Out of curiosity, what counts as "Electronic Devices" in the energy consumption as 10% seems a lot for the radio. lol

Attachments

Super Moderator
Not 100% sure but may include heating using the electric heater, rather than scavanaged heat from the battery.n

Hopefully @RobinB Will be along, as he has a good understanding of EV's. Or another E-Niro owner.

Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
Nice of you to show so much faith @iooi but I wasn't too sure what is included in what measurement either :eek: I wish there was a more technical manual for curios chimps like me to go and clarify what's going on!
I too thought that "Electronics" might be anything and everything on 12V (there's actually quite a lot) but we would expect the PTC heating to be a nice safe 12V, so wouldn't that get counted twice if it counted against climate and "electronics" I thought.
So what will be consuming 12V? Heating, fan, cooling A/C (maybe), lights, head-unit computer and displays (including radio), power to circuits for door locks sensing, engine/battery management, energised circuits for driving power to the motor, the vision for collision avoidance, the rain detector etc There's quite a lot in a modern car (whether EV or ICE)

I started with a Google for some clues about what might be "electronics" and what is "climate" and what is "battery care". I found a thread on SpeakEV which had a few ideas and initial ball-park figures 'Electronics' power consumption when driving

So I went outside for some experimentation. On a pre-lunch play I got an impression of what was going on, but I needed to go out again with a notepad because the numbers were varying and a bit muddled. I was using the EV display in the car because it gives a live representation of the power use across those categories - So much better than the history for the entire drive - You can turn things on and off and look at the results.
Sorry for wonky picture - car was facing wrong way and low winter sun...
I wasn't going to wait for dusk for shot!
Font Electronic device Technology Multimedia Display device

In very broad-brush... I get in, turn the car fully on but have the climate fully off, lights off (as much as possible, but DRLs will be on because the car is "ready" to move). In this lowest power consumption that I can set, the power used is only "electronics" and it is about 0.2kW (200W). If I just st there and do nothing the electronics consumption doesn't remain static. It seems to steadily rise and fall between 0.21 and 0.28kW and it takes about 20 seconds for that cycle. The fact that it is rising and falling on its own creates a problem of clearly identifying how much difference turning things on makes and also begs the question "what is cycling this way?" I'm guessing that it is the way that the LDC (the Low voltage DC-DC converter) is behaving in order to charge the battery. After doing some tests with fan and heater and A/C I noticed that the "electronics" was only cycling between 0.20 and 0.23kW - maybe that hinted that the car was detecting the 12V battery as needing less top-up?
Turn fan on: max fan caused "electronics" to hit 0.32kW ranging down to 0.25
Heat on (27C, mid fan): Climate = 2.2kW, Electronics = 0.26 (so it looks like heating power is not included in electronics)
A/C on (thermostat 17): Climate = 0 ! Electronic - 0.28 (odd no climate, but ambient temperature was already below threshold), so have A/C on and temperature set to 22C: Climate = 0.42kW, Electronics = 0.21 (looks like the A/C power and heating have come to more power than when I was just heating - as you would expect)
All Off again: Electronics = 0.21 - 0.23kW cycle - Hmm 12V battery requiring less charging?
Full lights (high-beam + front & rear fogs + brake lights): Electronics 0.37kW

Interesting that we can see that turning all lights on doesn't get anywhere near the sort of power that resistive heating uses, and you wouldn't have your foot on the brake long or the fog lamps in use often, so don't fret about lights, certainly not the front LED headlights.

Using an OBD2 diagnosic port dongle I could see what current the LDC was supplying. When power was minimal (but with that 20 second cycling) the "AUX Amps LDC" was reading 12.4 - 13.2A. With fan on it became 19A. With full lights it was 20-25A.

From what I've read elsewhere the "Battery care" is battery heating, so I'm not sure that I have ever (or ever will) see that as anything but zero for two reasons (a) my Soul EV doesn't have a battery heater to the best of my knowledge and (b) it would only get used in some very cold temperatures and niche conditions. Kia are more frugal than Tesla with throwing kWatts at heating a battery in order to deliver "performance" acceleration or "performance" fast charging. I am "OK" with that choice, but maybe it would be nice to press a button to say "warm my battery in preparation for charging in 20 minutes time".

I think I've noted in the past that on freezing mornings I've seen several kW of power going to heating, today there was 2.2kW when the car was aimed at 27C, but if I had lowered the temp or allowed it to reach the target the ongoing maintenance of that temperature drops off quite a lot. I think I've seen it down to 0.4kW, but that might be resistive (PTC) heating which is now operating gently or it might be the Soul First Edition's heat-pump taking heat from the motor and motor drive electronics and pumping it to the cabin (and maybe battery).

Still lots of unknown unknowns!

Bottom line: There's lots of electronics. Don't forget that an "on" car charges the 12V battery electronically. Although the heating is done from the 12V (I'm pretty sure) it is accounted for as "climate" and Kia must therefore be subtracting it from the "electronics" power.

Perhaps have a look at the owner's manual section on fuses to see how many fused subsystems there are and what the fuse ratings are (for indicative relative power).

• Haha
Reactions: ags1960 and iooi

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice of you to show so much faith @iooi but I wasn't too sure what is included in what measurement either :eek: I wish there was a more technical manual for curios chimps like me to go and clarify what's going on!
I too thought that "Electronics" might be anything and everything on 12V (there's actually quite a lot) but we would expect the PTC heating to be a nice safe 12V, so wouldn't that get counted twice if it counted against climate and "electronics" I thought.
So what will be consuming 12V? Heating, fan, cooling A/C (maybe), lights, head-unit computer and displays (including radio), power to circuits for door locks sensing, engine/battery management, energised circuits for driving power to the motor, the vision for collision avoidance, the rain detector etc There's quite a lot in a modern car (whether EV or ICE)

I started with a Google for some clues about what might be "electronics" and what is "climate" and what is "battery care". I found a thread on SpeakEV which had a few ideas and initial ball-park figures 'Electronics' power consumption when driving

So I went outside for some experimentation. On a pre-lunch play I got an impression of what was going on, but I needed to go out again with a notepad because the numbers were varying and a bit muddled. I was using the EV display in the car because it gives a live representation of the power use across those categories - So much better than the history for the entire drive - You can turn things on and off and look at the results.
Sorry for wonky picture - car was facing wrong way and low winter sun...
I wasn't going to wait for dusk for shot!
View attachment 14597

In very broad-brush... I get in, turn the car fully on but have the climate fully off, lights off (as much as possible, but DRLs will be on because the car is "ready" to move). In this lowest power consumption that I can set, the power used is only "electronics" and it is about 0.2kW (200W). If I just st there and do nothing the electronics consumption doesn't remain static. It seems to steadily rise and fall between 0.21 and 0.28kW and it takes about 20 seconds for that cycle. The fact that it is rising and falling on its own creates a problem of clearly identifying how much difference turning things on makes and also begs the question "what is cycling this way?" I'm guessing that it is the way that the LDC (the Low voltage DC-DC converter) is behaving in order to charge the battery. After doing some tests with fan and heater and A/C I noticed that the "electronics" was only cycling between 0.20 and 0.23kW - maybe that hinted that the car was detecting the 12V battery as needing less top-up?
Turn fan on: max fan caused "electronics" to hit 0.32kW ranging down to 0.25
Heat on (27C, mid fan): Climate = 2.2kW, Electronics = 0.26 (so it looks like heating power is not included in electronics)
A/C on (thermostat 17): Climate = 0 ! Electronic - 0.28 (odd no climate, but ambient temperature was already below threshold), so have A/C on and temperature set to 22C: Climate = 0.42kW, Electronics = 0.21 (looks like the A/C power and heating have come to more power than when I was just heating - as you would expect)
All Off again: Electronics = 0.21 - 0.23kW cycle - Hmm 12V battery requiring less charging?
Full lights (high-beam + front & rear fogs + brake lights): Electronics 0.37kW

Interesting that we can see that turning all lights on doesn't get anywhere near the sort of power that resistive heating uses, and you wouldn't have your foot on the brake long or the fog lamps in use often, so don't fret about lights, certainly not the front LED headlights.

Using an OBD2 diagnosic port dongle I could see what current the LDC was supplying. When power was minimal (but with that 20 second cycling) the "AUX Amps LDC" was reading 12.4 - 13.2A. With fan on it became 19A. With full lights it was 20-25A.

From what I've read elsewhere the "Battery care" is battery heating, so I'm not sure that I have ever (or ever will) see that as anything but zero for two reasons (a) my Soul EV doesn't have a battery heater to the best of my knowledge and (b) it would only get used in some very cold temperatures and niche conditions. Kia are more frugal than Tesla with throwing kWatts at heating a battery in order to deliver "performance" acceleration or "performance" fast charging. I am "OK" with that choice, but maybe it would be nice to press a button to say "warm my battery in preparation for charging in 20 minutes time".

I think I've noted in the past that on freezing mornings I've seen several kW of power going to heating, today there was 2.2kW when the car was aimed at 27C, but if I had lowered the temp or allowed it to reach the target the ongoing maintenance of that temperature drops off quite a lot. I think I've seen it down to 0.4kW, but that might be resistive (PTC) heating which is now operating gently or it might be the Soul First Edition's heat-pump taking heat from the motor and motor drive electronics and pumping it to the cabin (and maybe battery).

Still lots of unknown unknowns!

Bottom line: There's lots of electronics. Don't forget that an "on" car charges the 12V battery electronically. Although the heating is done from the 12V (I'm pretty sure) it is accounted for as "climate" and Kia must therefore be subtracting it from the "electronics" power.

Perhaps have a look at the owner's manual section on fuses to see how many fused subsystems there are and what the fuse ratings are (for indicative relative power).
Hi RobinB,
Thanks for the information, I thought there must have been more to it than my Pink Floyd rattling the windows馃槀
The photo you have shown is obviously the cars info screen. How do you get to that page. Had my MY21 E-Niro for just over a year now and haven't seen that screen, assuming the Soul and Niro have the same software.

Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
I had to go and look because it really isn't obvious. I remember pushing the EV button then the battery icon, then I thought where was something else... so I went and checked:-
  1. Push the physical EV button
  2. See that "Energy information" battery icon showing current SOC - tap it
  3. See that row of information "Range", "With climate off", "Battery" - tap it

Here's the "EV" display after pressing the EV button
Tap that battery (so obvious - Not!)
Font Gadget Audio equipment Technology Display device

After tapping the battery you get the controls for setting DC or AC charging limits. You would tap on the DC or AC sections to set a limit, you can see mine is set to 100% because I'm always on a public charger and I choose when to stop. The top row, showing the range with/without climate, is also a button that you can press. That's what takes you to the energy consumption view.
Gadget Font Display device Electronic device Multimedia

There's a useful lesson about DC charging on these screengrabs. You can see that I'm on 91% SOC and the estimated time to 100% (on a DC charger) would be over an hour - I think that underlines the fact that charging from 90% to full takes longer than charging up to 70 or 80%.

What else can we say about what's where (since this might be of interest to some people):
From that battery icon you get to the charge limits, like I've already said. "Charge management gets you to the screens for setting a singular or pattern of departure times. You can also set the scheduled charging and pre-heating of the car before departure (dependant on it knowing your departure and that the car is plugged in and that power is available down the cable at the time heating is required). The car won't do a scheduled pre-departure heat from battery. You can manually start it doing heating for a departure using the Connect app and that doesn't mind working from battery in the absence of AC mains.
ECO driving gives you access to your recent trips, bit like the Connect App but with the consumption efficiency for each one - Those interesting metrics which Kia chose not to include in the "Trips" list of the app, but they did think my top speed was important enough - sigh...
EV settings: get at some EV settings, like how much regen to have when you swich drive modes, how "eco" the climate should be in each drive mode.

Reactions: iooi and ags1960

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to go and look because it really isn't obvious. I remember pushing the EV button then the battery icon, then I thought where was something else... so I went and checked:-
  1. Push the physical EV button
  2. See that "Energy information" battery icon showing current SOC - tap it
  3. See that row of information "Range", "With climate off", "Battery" - tap it

Here's the "EV" display after pressing the EV button
Tap that battery (so obvious - Not!)
View attachment 14620

After tapping the battery you get the controls for setting DC or AC charging limits. You would tap on the DC or AC sections to set a limit, you can see mine is set to 100% because I'm always on a public charger and I choose when to stop. The top row, showing the range with/without climate, is also a button that you can press. That's what takes you to the energy consumption view.
View attachment 14621

There's a useful lesson about DC charging on these screengrabs. You can see that I'm on 91% SOC and the estimated time to 100% (on a DC charger) would be over an hour - I think that underlines the fact that charging from 90% to full takes longer than charging up to 70 or 80%.

What else can we say about what's where (since this might be of interest to some people):
From that battery icon you get to the charge limits, like I've already said. "Charge management gets you to the screens for setting a singular or pattern of departure times. You can also set the scheduled charging and pre-heating of the car before departure (dependant on it knowing your departure and that the car is plugged in and that power is available down the cable at the time heating is required). The car won't do a scheduled pre-departure heat from battery. You can manually start it doing heating for a departure using the Connect app and that doesn't mind working from battery in the absence of AC mains.
ECO driving gives you access to your recent trips, bit like the Connect App but with the consumption efficiency for each one - Those interesting metrics which Kia chose not to include in the "Trips" list of the app, but they did think my top speed was important enough - sigh...
EV settings: get at some EV settings, like how much regen to have when you swich drive modes, how "eco" the climate should be in each drive mode.
Again thanks for the info. I would agree with you it isn't obvious how to get to these screens. I now intend when I'm sitting with nothing better to do whilst on a charge point I'm going to open every page I can and then touch everything on the screen to see what wonders it reveals 馃槄 I might even get to know all the pages before I replace the car with something else and have to start all over again.
I knew the one for the eco driving Trips screen. This screen tells me every so often that I've been getting 100+mKwh. If only it were true. lol

Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
...I now intend when I'm sitting with nothing better to do whilst on a charge point I'm going to open every page I can and then touch everything on the screen to see what wonders it reveals 馃槄 I might even get to know all the pages before I replace the car with something else and have to start all over again.
They may move things around a bit in an update. I found (while playing yesterday) that I could no longer find the "winter" setting checkbox (which I had definitely seen originally, when the car was new and we went through the settings). It is probably right that it is no longer shown, as I don't think our Soul EV has the battery heater anyway.
Nothing so likely to sow confusion as having options for non-existent features!

Reactions: ags1960
1 - 10 of 10 Posts