Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I' m very happy as I just took delivery a few days back of my lovely new Rio 1 - blaze red, will post pics soon.

Have to admit it, I love it, so here is a review of the first 500 miles.

The excitement was justified, it is a lovely car overall so far, and here are my observations.

Exterior paintwork, metallic blaze red, excellent and looks just great, I think even without the chrome grille, it still has a striking front end, back looks great too, and in fact I still believe it looks good with metals instead of alloys. Love the wrap round headlight housing too, makes for a mean, sexy looking front IMHO . Wasn't expecting the electric wing mirror adjustments with the basic 1 version , good as they are otherwised fixed

Having clicked up 500 miles+ in a busy first few days of ownership, I have been travelling around a bit showing it off. Have driven about 15 miles in city, 15 miles in town, 70 miles "A" road, and about 400 motorway.

The interior is comfortable from a drivers position, I'm tall too, and all of the controls are easy to see and use, telescopic streering wheel is good as I managed to find a position suitable to provide enough space and see the cluster of displays for rpm, speed, fuel and trip, nice having volume control for music on the steering wheel too, which works well. I have noticed that the mpg indicator seems to be a bit erratic when one takes their foot off of the accelerator, but I'll keep an eye on that, it is probably just the computer readjusting it's readout. In town getting about 42mpg and about 53-54 mpg on a regular 50 mile trip on the mororway to and from work. very happy though, and thus far "dash rattle " free. Also good to get warning on dash display when there is possible icing conditions. Nice vision out of the front, also the smaller "quarter light " windows are useful for vision when turning
Overall finishing is quality, window and air demisters work well and easy to use, lack of air conditioning is not proving an issue for me personally at the moment, and the vents work well, and I've gotten nice and toasty within minutes on a couple of frosty early mornings.

The boot is good , in that it has two handy little side pockets, have put a torch, gloves and first aid kit in mine to start off with. And being tall no problems putting things in and out over the ledge. Temporary tyre repair kit is under the floor panel inside the boot as expected.

However reversing into car parking spaces as expected can be "tricky", but a good look over one's shoulder out of the side windows with concentration can usually gain good results in terms of getting it right, have had a few attempts now, and starting to get better used to the cars dimensions, so fingers crossed, practice will make perfect. - and No I'm not usually crap at reversing, it's the side columns honest!

The car is lovely and quiet to drive in town or on the motorway, and it really makes for a relaxing and smooth drive on most roads, and on the longer journeys on motorways or "A" roads it's a delight to ride in, and have a friend that drives a VW Polo TDi and he is surprised just how quiiet a ride it gives once it's happily cruising along. Can be a bit revvy to start from traffic lights, and you really have to work quickly through the short gears.

Gear change is smooth, but I' ve found the gears 1-4 quite short, and the car just purrs along, so one has to listen quite hard at times to make sure of changing up or down. However, the gear indicator on the dash works really well telling you to change up or down as necessary, it's very handy if you have music on. About 3000-3500 rpm is comfortably giving 65-70mph. Plan for extra time on overtaking is normally best policy, and up steepish hills a bit of extra welly and 4th seems to work best, because as expected, less than nippy up a steep hill as recently seen on other peoples reviews.

Road handling/stability feels great, but I don't quite know what people mean about numb steering, it does the job for me, but then I don't pretend to be any expert. On city, town or country roads so far it handles well for me, and on motorways the ride is very comfortable and responsive.

Overall, very happy with what I have, however would be interested to know if the flucuations with the mpg readouts are normal when taking your foot off of the accelerator for any length of time., will keep an eye on that.

Will post pics once I've worked out how!Edited by: Red_Runner66

·
Registered
525 Posts
Nice Review.

Are there any other 88MPG non-Air "1" Rio Owners on here, everyone else seemed to be saying they couldnt get hold of the non-Air models....?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi big_boz,

I think the op refers to the 1.25 non air Petrol version.

Nice review, nevertheless.

I personally am waiting for the 1 non air diesel version as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now 780 miles in, the panic petrol buying, and having a quarter tank left I thought I would do the 50 mile trip along the M4 at 50-55mph , just to conserve fuel and also to see what the MPG would come out at with my 1.25

Quite impressed with the result which was showing 54.8 mpg on the trip computer - woo hoo!

Mind you doing 50mph on the M4 gives the slight feeling of going backwards ! LolEdited by: Red_Runner66

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice Review Red_runner66 I have the 2 spec 1.25 in electric blue,also agree with all your comments,steering is fine just a bit of minute correcting on Motorway,gears are low 1-3 mainly find i change up quickly too,do you sometimes find it's hard pulling away smoothly and the car seems to lag between 1st & 2nd? I can get a good takeoff with practice.
Had the reversing sensors fitted as i feel it's a must with this car but would'nt recommend a dealer fit too expensive,check with dealer 1st if fitting your own to see if it effects warranty.
Driven normally i'm currently averaging 43-45mpg mainly urban at 3000 miles so well chuffed.
Only negative is the dash rattle but soon to be fixed.
Not sure what you mean about the MPG meter but the instant one will fly up & down and the average will slowly calculate,remember to reset trip/average on fillup.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Armac08, and congratulations on your new car too.

I agree that it is hard to pull away smoothly, mainly at junctions and lights, but on the hill starts it seems smoother as I can more finely control the clutch, but that may be due to the hill start assist. Also at junctions and lights I may be slightly overdoing the revs so as not to inconvenience other driversdue to possibly pulling away too slowly or stalling, which I did once or twice when I first got the car as I was not used to it. Haven't noticedISG in action yet.

I think I'm now starting to get more proficient at working up through 1-3 more smoothly.especially asI know working through1-3 has to be done quickly, and have a much bettter feel for the gears generally. This man becoming more in tune with his machine I guess.

Good luck with the dash rattle, I hope they resolve it for you, I might consider the reverse sensors, how much are Kia dealers asking to fit those? However I'm now getting used to the dimensions of the car, so I'll re-evaluate over the next couple of weeks.

Also thanks for the info regarding the mpg indicator, it's obvious now I had this on instant for a couple of trips, and the other steady setting works just fine.

Just filled it up with £50 @ £1.42 per litre tonight with an 1/8 tank remaining, so for a full tank looking at around £57. It was telling me I had 455 miles available before next refuel, so that is promising.

Btw how did you go about uploading the pics of you nice electric blue machine, I want to post photos of my blaze red one, but haven't worked that out yet.

Happy driving, I'll keep updating any other things I discover with my 1.25 5dr non air.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The dealer would charge around £250 for rear sensors too expensive for what is a low cost item.
Have'nt posted any pics yet but think someone else has,don't forget to check your oil topped mine up a few months ago needed only about quarter litre used Carplan synthetic 5w30 as i could not get the 5w20 specced,I checked with dealer and oil manf' and both said it was ok,just topped tyres up too to 32 all round.
ISG? not on mine,think that's only the ecodynamics.
I think the more you like a car the more you seem to care for it,hope to see more of them on the road as i feel like an elite being the only one in my area,seen a few Picanto's tho' no doubt due to 'Take me out'
,Enjoy.

Edited by: Armac08

·
Registered
234 Posts
They were a dealer fit about £295
although you could try haggling,
Would'nt be without them tho'when parking.
Would have had them fitted elsewhere but was concerned about warranty and wanted my car asap.

Edited by: Armac08

·
Registered
487 Posts
how about the tyres.....is it noisy like my mom in law(jk-luv her)or very quite like a baby sleeping in our lap?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine is a Rio 1 with the smallest 15 inch non alloys, nicely tarmac-ed road, and it glides along like a dream, rumbles on rougher tarmac sections, but the noise suppression inside the car still gives a great quality ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts