Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi getting my new Niro tomorrow and worried about the non sat nav ! They said I connect my phone and use that as sat nav via the screen Is this any good and is it easy and reliable, also I use a app on my phone called (here we go ) which in my opinion is the best out there it does not require internet and works a treat ! So can I use this via my phone onto the Niro screen ? Sorry if all seems mixed up but I heavily rely on sat nav and it was something I could not understand was missing from my new Niro (motobilty car) thanks for any help and advice . Ps I think the sales man said something about a Kia app which I can down load and use but again surely this will cost data whilst using on you phone via car

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I think the days of folk needing/wanting in car satnav are now firmly past. Nearly everyone has a smart phone and there are plenty of apps which do the job just fine.

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
Here you go will not work (i think)

You will have to use either Android Auto (Google maps or Waze ) Waze is great.
Or Apple Car play. I know Waze works on Apple, but not sure which other navigation apps will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the days of folk needing/wanting in car satnav are now firmly past. Nearly everyone has a smart phone and there are plenty of apps which do the job just fine.
Well when buying or leasing or through motobilty I would expect a car in 2020 would have as basic a thing as sat nav ! I looked at a dozen other cars before choosing this model and even the most basic car had sat nav ,so to say it’s firmly in the past is nonsense. My question was asking if there was a way round using just the apps mentioned or if I could use my preferred app via cars screen. (Also the same car 2019 had sat nav they have just excluded it from this model whilst refining other features

·
Registered
126 Posts
I obtained an old Tom Tom off my son and use that. He updated it with the latest maps before handing it over. Android Auto won't run on my phone (motorola). He didn't need the sat nav anymore because both his and his wife.s cars come with one built in (a Fiat and a Mazda). If in built Sat Navs are so 'yesterday' why do the Niro 3 ans 4 come with one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well said - the remark that says Sat Navs are days gone is absolutely ridiculous .

·
Registered
119 Posts
What is ridiculous is that you have to take your Kia to a dealer and pay £25 once a year for updates.
This is so contrary to all the other satnav systems which are updated easily at home.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Kias used to be done at home through the Kia website. But then they decided that we in the UK could not do this anymore. Rest of Europe can still do it through the website.

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
Far better off using other navigation systems given how far behind the "Here" system that Kia & other manufactures use can be. Even BMW users (they use the same Here sat nav system) complain it can take 2 updates to get the roads updated.
Which is the crux of Turnup's comment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not everyone has a smartphone, many of those that do can't run the apps or want to run the apps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked my new hybrid a week ago, very pleased with it.one question. How are the wheel trims removed. Are the chrome nuts holding the actual wheel on or just the wheel trim.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I too was surprised that my new Niro 2 hybrid did not have built in satnav! However, I downloaded Android Auto (from Google Play Store) to my Samsung phone and now use Google maps instead. Works fine, and best of all, it uses miles, yards and feet and not that horrible european metric system!

·
Super Moderator
2,413 Posts
I too was surprised that my new Niro 2 hybrid did not have built in satnav! However, I downloaded Android Auto (from Google Play Store) to my Samsung phone and now use Google maps instead. Works fine, and best of all, it uses miles, yards and feet and not that horrible european metric system!
Even better mapping is up to date.
Try Waze, gives some nice user interaction on traffic levels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts