Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought a car from dealer but they didn't service it and it was from previous owner and invoice from a garage says 5w30 synthetic oil

I don't want to go out buying wrong oil to top it up if I needed to

So is synthetic mean fully or semi because I would of thought if they used semi they would of put that or am I wrong

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dealership cant remember where they put the booklet

its a 2009 1.1

because my only option I got left to do is wait till its near half way on the dipstick and get a engine oil change because eurocarparts shows fully or semi

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
So the obvious choice is to go for full. What's the mileage? I only do about 8,000 miles a year and never have to top up between services. The level never drops.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You most likely find the engine won't need topping up between services.
Does the oil look clean?
If you are worried ask the dealership to do a free oil change as you have just purchased the car as a sign of goodwill.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
69000 on clock I only going to do is 8000 or under miles and oil still looks new as previous owner as hardly used it from service

It's my first car so I no idea if they stay full for long so that why I was double checking and don't see signs of any leaking so I'm guessing I should get 1-2yrs before needing oil change but I do a oil check in a month to make sure it not using up oil

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds like you will be doing lots of short trips. Should have a oil change every 12 months', most local garages do oil change & filter for less than £60 so worth considering.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i get it done in 12month

should i get fully oil on safe side it might have already got fully oil

ye i planning to use car for crap weather days for work and dry on my bike

·
Registered
362 Posts
I always use Fully synthetic in my ceed, but in your 1.1 I would use semi. If it states 5w 30 then just get the best brand you can afford, I use Total oil in ceed and my van but use Miller's in my Evo.
On Ebay at the moment fully synthetic item 264311787361 is on there for £20, could not go wrong at that price.

·
Registered
362 Posts
As I said I always use fully but yours would be fine on semi but when I found listing for fully at £20 for 5 ltrs you can't go wrong (bargain).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well wouldn't it be best is waiting till im near half way on dip stick and then order new filter and oil and replace it then because the oil still nice gold colour on dipstick and full mark

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If you want superior oil go for the fully synthetic as the cost difference is next to nothing. Look on the various oil company sites and see what they say. On the Shell site you can put in your Reg. No. and they specify what is suitable.

It costs several thousand pounds a year to run a car and you are looking at about £25 to have a supply of oil if you ever need to top up between annual changes you might not even need it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok when time comes to doing a oil change I noticed most oils show on the net as acea c3 or a5

for example castrol magnetic 5w30 is acea a5 but they have also stated its gf-4 which my manual states gf-4 upwards or api sm

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok when time comes to doing a oil change I noticed most oils show on the net as acea c3 or a5

for example castrol magnetic 5w30 is acea a5 but they have also stated its gf-4 which my manual states gf-4 upwards or api sm
Use ACEA C3 5W-30 fully synthetic.I use this in my daughters Picanto with over 80,000 miles on the clock.Never uses a drop of oil between changes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts