Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the mpg I've posted a photo off seem pretty poor for this car? This was sitting on a motorway with the cruise on as you can see. It eventually topped out at 43 mpg on a 45-mile journey, and I have tried it for a week now back and forth to work and it hasn't improved. I got around 327 miles on a full tank.

Vehicle Car Automotive design Speedometer Gauge

Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
Not bad for a 18 mile trip.

Far better to look at average MPG over a few tank fulls rather than single trips.

Reactions: Ianc2021 and 54112

Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
It seems low to me, but i don't have any personal experience of your model. Are you resetting the trip computer at each fill, or is still working off previous (shorter?) trips.

I was going to say maybe the engine is still a bit tight, but looking at your odometer I'd imagine that has loosened as much as it going to. On the motorway, the mild hybrid is of very little use; all you are doing is lugging around extra kit. And yes, it is winter (I see 1C on your dash) so that won't help. How are your tyres pressures? They can be OK as far as the TPMS is concerned but still a bit lower than ideal.

Reactions: 54112

Registered
I'm hesitant to say something is wrong but as the owner on an older model with same 1.6crdi but no hybrid system I'd be in the low 50s under similar conditions (as long as its not an 18.9 mile long climb at 70!) Never mind 43mpg after 45 miles.

Maybe if its 1 degree and you've hot air on, heated seats say, wipers, demisters...I suppose I could forsee it dipping into the 40s but I'd be disappointed with that. Maybe try different speeds/gears see what difference it makes. Mine 5th doing 55mph does better than 6th at same speed or higher. Maybe the hybrid just has a particar sweet spot?

Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT
I noticed that cruise control sometimes tend to keep the car under acceleration and not take advantage of the ondulations enough, so it will on some ondulating motorways use more fuel than I would.But we are talking maybe 1 or 2 mpg at most.
And this is a single journey stat, so nothing to do with previous journeys.
There's definitely something not quite right with it, if the conditions are what you say.
Worth having it checked.

Registered
I would say - if the car is running ok and no obvious signs of binding brakes,I would live with it until (hopefully) the ambient temp goes up to (say) about 13 deg c and more daylight running with less use of headlights/ac/heater etc.
January is a bad month to check ones mpg figure,especially if doing shortish trips.

Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
It seems low to me, but i don't have any personal experience of your model. Are you resetting the trip computer at each fill, or is still working off previous (shorter?) trips.
The screen Op is showing is one that simply shows that individual drive. Although can auto reset after 4 hours if car not used. If not it resets each day. (y)
So in that trip shown (Note temp 1C) you have approx 5 miles of driving before car gets to normal engine temp.

Some people say Cruise (is it smart version) is not as efficient as driving yourself. But that maybe down to individual driving style. Reading the road ahead is always going to be better than any car based system that at best with SCC is only reading what the car in front is doing. Normal CC is just doing what speed you asked it to do with no understanding of what is happening in front of you.

Reactions: mr.macspot

Registered
The screen Op is showing is one that simply shows that individual drive. Although can auto reset after 4 hours if car not used. If not it resets each day. (y)
So in that trip shown (Note temp 1C) you have approx 5 miles of driving before car gets to normal engine temp.
yeah on that trip: 19 miles in 27 minutes?
Yet you are cruising at 70mph?

Registered
MPG and Speed are not the same as Average MPG and Average Speed ;)

Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
Not everyone lives next to a motorway. That is about the distance & time it takes me to get to one.

I think we will forget about the picture being taken while driving 馃槺

Reactions: fenegroni

Registered
Wouldn鈥檛 it be better to reset the drive stats after engine is warm and cruising? Otherwise this might also include 10 minutes idling to deice the car.., with a diesel!

Registered
Our 2010 Ceed CRDi SW (115 PS) was used by myself and the wife on our commutes. No mild hybrid and no stop/start. Mine was 15 miles each way, the wifes 20 miles. The 15 miles took me about 30 minutes, about 1 mile of town driving, 8 miles of dual carriageway and 6 miles of good A road. But I did have to contend with 5 sets of traffic lights and had to cross a M1 junction and contend with a busy offslip/roundabout off the dual carriageway. The wifes commute was about 3 miles of town driving, 1 miles of good A road, 1 miles of dual carraigeway and 15 miles of motorway. 5 sets of traffic lights, junctions on and off the motorway and 2 traffic islands and took about 30 minutes but she did her trip just before peak times, mine was during peak traffic.. She used cruise on the motorway but only rarely used cruise, too much happening. On an average fill up we did about 50 mpg (calculated) but that included local running as well. We saw no difference between summer and winter which contradicted the supposed poor mpg diesels do when using winter diesel.

When the wife retired the Ceed was sold because she had inherited my dads Micra and I bought a Leon 1.4 TSi petrol (140 PS) to avoid DPF issues with the reduced mileage. On an average fill up it did just over 45 mpg, if the wife had been using it as well that would no doubt have increased.

Based on both of those the OP's 43 mpg is pretty poor.

But as iooi says in post #2 they need to do several brim to brim fill ups and then calculate the figures, the dash can tell you a load of nonsense. Its a toy and not a valuable feature. Never use ours in any car.

Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
Wouldn鈥檛 it be better to reset the drive stats after engine is warm and cruising? Otherwise this might also include 10 minutes idling to deice the car.., with a diesel!
Don't think you can on that screen, and if you could it's a bit pointless as it is then not a true reflection of the trip. Even sat idling to deice is part of your trip.
As I found out the other day with 15 mins of having to chip frozen snow of the screen. Took over 1/2 a mile off my average MPG. Which was all my usage. :mad: No idea on the effect on that trip.

Which is why you need to do a average MPG over several tanks for a clear gauge of cars MPG (y)

Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
Strange how Kia keep adding and removing simple function between models. On the Sportage you can reset the Drive Info at anytime simply by holding the OK button on the steering wheel.

Attachments

Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
Maybe you can. Just can't see the point 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Strange how Kia keep adding and removing simple function between models. On the Sportage you can reset the Drive Info at anytime simply by holding the OK button on the steering wheel.
Same on the Stonic. It simply auto resets after 4 hours. But you can reset it any time you like.

the point being:
The OP was wondering if this was reasonable consumption. Yet have no details of the actual journey.
if he had reset the trip counterthen moment he joined the motorway and kept a steady speedand published that figure as figure1. Then another after leaving the motorway to destination and detail how long he was idling etc as figure2. Basically provide some discernible data.

Reactions: iooi

Registered
Mostly motorway at 70 with some b road I achieved 55.5mpg over 116.7miles, 50:50 B roads at 60 and motorway at 70 54.4mpg over 74.6 miles in a 1.5T GDI GT line hatch. Not hanging around but driving sensibly.

I would say you should be getting more from a diesel hybrid but have no experience with them in a Ceed

Registered
Some people are trying to compare apples and oranges LOL
January is not the time to do an mpg check - if the car is running ok and no obvious brake binding - I would be inclined to leave well alone until at least springtime and when daylight driving in reasonable ambient temperatures is possible - then see what the AVERAGE mpg is over a few tankfuls - preferably by the fill to fill against mileage method.

• Love

Registered
Kenp - it may depend on where you live and your types of journeys.
Us up in rural perthshire will have to do more deicing and take longer to warm up than (say) if you live in the SW of england.
Also if you keep your car in a heated garage and do not have to deice etc (+ quicker engine warm up time) you may not get too much difference in mpg summer to winter - there are too many variables to give a black and white answer.

Registered
From my personal point of view - sometimes our cars are running for 5 - 10 mins just to deice and then (say) drive off at minus 7 deg c with headlights/heater/ac/HRW all running - it is a certainty that our mpg will be lower than during a summer start at + 15 deg c and driving straight off with no lights/HRW/ ac running and of course the engine warms up quicker (and therefore gets more efficient much quicker).

• Love
1 - 20 of 31 Posts