Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Not sure if everyone is aware but the USB port on the Soul supports a Laptop Hard drive.
All you need is:

1x 2.5" External Laptop HDD
1x USB cable
Format the drive in FAT32 (You made need something like SwissKnife or similar depending on version of windows, It can be found here http://www.brothersoft.com/swissknife-download-62555.html)

You control music selection as you would the iPod.

I found that the menu system was quicker using a HDD instead of the iPod and the music quality was better. (Quality is probably down to being able to use my original High quality mp3 tracks and not having iTunes down converting them every time!)
You also have the advantage of being able to arrange folders how you want them so that you can easily find your Fav album/tunes easily.

I Originally tried the HDD as I was fed up with having to keep plugging and unplugging the iPhone, this way I can just leave the HDD always connected and hidden in the glove box or wherever.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Thanks for the info.

i just have a tiny little 2gb memory stick left in it permanently....... not really interested in searching out certain music......i just hit random and listen. Its got over 700 songs on it and its not full yet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use a 8gb memory stick with the music in several folders to aid selection. 2500 tunes!

·
Registered
887 Posts
The iPod intergration is naff, as you have found a drive full of tunes works so much better, folders can be you multistack CD, except you can have hundreds instead of 6...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Womble1974. Is the HDD just one of those external hard drives that you can buy in various GB /TB storage? I have Western Digital 250GB (although it is a bit big to lug about) but I see they now make them quite small. Also, by leaving it plugged in does it stop and start playing at the track that was playing at the time? I have plugged my MP3 player into the USB port, but every time I turn the engine off and on again, the radio starts reading from the beginning of my tracks. That is ok if it is only a couple of albums in, but if it is track 300 then it is a pain having to fast forward through the other 299.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
183 Posts
My memory stick also picks up from where it was last playing if you leave it plugged in. Remove it and it will start from the beginning again. Just a word of caution though, the handbook says not to unplug memory devices while the unit is switched on, I suppose it could corrupt the files. Aldi had an offer on last week for the 8gb at £12.99, some stores may have a few left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts