Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has seen symptoms like this :

Started car, no flat panel display but radio playing. None of the controls related to the radio or flat panel display operate. Radio continues to play after car is turned off and driver exits car.

I pulled the Multimedia fuse to stop the radio. Fuse was OK so reinserted it and flat panel display/controls are operational again. Its most likely a firmware issue causing a lockup but I was wondering if its a known issue or not?

Edit - its a Ceed Sportswagon trim level 2

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Clearly nobody has seen this which is sort of worrying.

Having said that the issue/fault has only happened once since then and I'm thinking its to do with a slightly low battery.

I'd been doing a lot of short (3 mile) runs back and forth during a house move and I suspect ISG/heating/etc drained it enough that the voltage dropped enough that the flat panel/controls simply didn't initialise/boot properly.

Having turned ISG off the problem hasn't reoccurred. Been using car less so could be just a fault which I haven't seen again (yet). If it does I'll repost, along with whatever the resolution was.

As an aside pulling/re-inserting the "Multimedia" fuse on the Ceed SW ISG2 2019 model also seems to reset the current average MPG figure (for a while). Odd that happens but if you try it then you'll see a far more accurate (IMHO) figure for the remainder of the next drive.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Happened again yesterday but system recovered (rebooted by the looks of it) while I was driving.

Pretty sure this is voltage-related as the car isn't doing many miles (under 10) per run and given the power drain on defrost/demist aircon settings with overnights of -10C (& I left ISG on again - keep forgetting) its likely just a low-medium battery charge resulting in a bit of a voltage drop under load.

I'm fairly a sure 50-100 mile run would sort it out but I'd probably get arrested for that here during lockdown.

As an aside, having played around a bit I find the only electrical accessory which is guaranteed to prevent ISG operation is the rear windscreen heater. Aircon on max heat/cool/whatever, lights on, phone charging, stereo blaring and ISG activates 90% of the time. Rear windscreen heater on = ISG off.

Never really considered how much power the rear windscreen heater pulls but I guess it must be a fair few watts as it melts ice very rapidly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your ISG is working then the battery is above 75% charged.
Most of the time these days its amber (or no) indication on ISG rather than green so not activating until the engine compartment gets warm.

I really wish there was a way of simply turning ISG off by default. There's a sequence of lights near here and its 100m between them with enough delay to turn ISG on and it can't help. Meh I suppose batteries are a damn sight cheaper than clutches :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.