Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just done a round trip of 1250 miles to france with 5 up,roof box and a trailer full of camping gear.we averaged around 34mpg(sedona 2.9 04),i thought this was good,but been told if i change the filter to a KandN 1 and a powerbox(not sure what this is)it would be better.is this true or should i leave alone and be happy with the mpg
many thanks

robin

·
Registered
422 Posts
Leave it alone - if your getting that mpg with a roof box and 5 passengers your doing well - its a 2.9 ltr engine pulling a large heavy body - not a racing car. Another air filter will not make any significant improvement - just ensure you change the standard air filter often. A powerbox will probably give you slightly improved performance but I'm sure this will not increase you mpg - all they do is push the operating perimeters, that the makers have set, a bit closer to their limits and I would imagine put a little more strain on components in the engine. Vehicle makers always use engines that are slightly de-tuned in order that they will run reliably - unless you buy a sporty supercar and look how temperamental they are. If they were that good I'm sure Kia would fit them themselves. Do you really want to push to its limits, an older diesel engine, that is running perfectly well and giving good mpg results.My opinion completely but the old saying - 'don't mend it if it aint broke' - usually makes good sense.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That is a good average but you can improve the drivability with the PowerBox and Filter..the filter allows the engine to breath easier, allowing more air and giving an extra 2/3 bhpwhilst fitted with the Powerbox it performs even better.
Our PowerBoxes do not perform to the max levels..there are 9 programmes to select on the type of returns you require...Under TUV stats the system can improve your returns upto 20%...i have seen lower and higher averages..

Here is a comment from a forum member who has fitted one of our systems ;

Hi Davy, Paddywagon - I cancategorically declare "that I was supplied with a tuning box kit by Paddywagon everything included - AND IT DOES WORK!"

I was not easily convinced about these things, but bit the bullet and fitted one, GREAT, especially for the xtra torque when towing the big van. Oh, did West Coast to East Coast to South West and back up again to Anglesey, Tuning box on Programe '5' Sedona returned just under 55MPG ON THE TRIP, AND FILL UP TO BRIM!! Oh @ 65 mph on Cruise.

·
Registered
141 Posts
i have just been up and done the motorway at speeds of 70/75 and got 38 to the gallon.
and when towing the caravan its about 32/34mpg. thebest i have had was sticking to 50 mph was get near to 45mpg

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is that in a 2.9 diesel - auto or manual - I should think you are well pleased with those figures - is it a standard set up or do you have any mods. I did 120 miles up the M1 yesterday and tried to do a bit of an economy drive sticking to 56mph but it was like running on the spot. I lasted about 5 miles and then got up to 70 on cruise control and that felt more comfortable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Alcutler its a 2003 2.9 auto and as for doing the cruise thing i try that most days and have the same problem end up at 70mph. lol.
i had a toyotalucida before this and would be very lucky if i could get 32mpg on a run

and only get 18mpg round town thats was a 2.2td.

·
Registered
422 Posts
dmc said:
Alcutler its a 2003 2.9 auto and as for doing the cruise thing i try that most days and have the same problem end up at 70mph. lol.
i had a toyotalucida before this and would be very lucky if i could get 32mpg on a run

and only get 18mpg round town thats was a 2.2td.
Yeah I find 70 is a nice cruising speed for my Sedona plus with all the speed cameras and unmarked Police cars is risky going above this nowadays - other than that on the motorway for economy - find a HGV doing the speed you want and stick behind him for mile after mile (boring but hey). Very good figures then especially towing and an auto - is it all standard or have you got K and N air filters, tuning box fitted, etc ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi all, did not realise that no-one was interested in 55 mpg? (quite embarrassed now) Only just realised about my one finger typing error. IT was actually 47!!! not 55 mpg, I am very very sorry. The only time I exaggerate is with the women, they did'nt believe me either! Again I'm very sorry for the error..

·
Registered
422 Posts
MININUT said:
Hi all, did not realise that no-one was interested in 55 mpg? (quite embarrassed now) Only just realised about my one finger typing error. IT was actually 47!!! not 55 mpg, I am very very sorry. The only time I exaggerate is with the women, they did'nt believe me either! Again I'm very sorry for the error..
Thats still a very good result though - I'd be well pleased getting that sort of return from mine.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi, my Wifes Mazda 2' does the 55mpg.

Yes I am very pleased with the service I get from my Sedona. Like everyone else I feel that anything under 70 mph in the Sedona feels like 40 mph in another car and it DOES get monotonous! But I cant help but trying to get more per gallon out of the Sedona, even if it means 65mph for two and a half hours!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
MININUT said:

Yes I am very pleased with the service I get from my Sedona. Like everyone else I feel that anything under 70 mph in the Sedona feels like 40 mph in another car and it DOES get monotonous! But I cant help but trying to get more per gallon out of the Sedona, even if it means 65mph for two and a half hours!!
I have problems working out exactly what my mpg for my Sedona is - doing a combination of medium to short - stop / start journeys - I also run a Vectra 1.9 cdti and that has a computer screen that tells you what mpg your doing as you drive along and works out you average over the length of your journey - very handy - Nice when your de-accelerating and it says you are doing 999.9 mpg - if only I could do this all the way down to the in-laws in Penzance - I'd have to stop every now and again to syphon fuel out!

·
Registered
399 Posts
HA HA HA! charge them for the fuel used mate! We keep the Sedona for our regular long journeys because she's very dependable and comfortable. Like everyone else mpg is bound to suffer on short journeys, in my opinion the Sedona is a cruiser; and does it well, trouble is 'the brakes fail every time we get near to the in-laws and my left ear hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
as you say70mph in the sedona is a great cruising speed at only 2250 rpm is good.
in my old lucida 70mph was around 3500 rpm.

·
Registered
702 Posts
alcutler said:
MININUT said:

I have problems working out exactly what my mpg for my Sedona is - doing a combination of medium to short - stop / start journeys - I also run a Vectra 1.9 cdti and that has a computer screen that tells you what mpg your doing as you drive along and works out you average over the length of your journey - very handy - Nice when your de-accelerating and it says you are doing 999.9 mpg - if only I could do this all the way down to the in-laws in Penzance - I'd have to stop every now and again to syphon fuel out!
The fuel computer's are something of a gimmick .I used to have one on a Mk Rover 2.7 manual similar to the one Tony Pond drove around the TT lap at over 100 mph ,as Alan says when easing off it does give great figures but boot it hard from a standing start and it used to show 1 mpg I didn't keep that up for long. I do have to do a large amount of miles with my job so I dont tend to rush anywhere these days except home so it helps me with the Sedona driving with a light foot and just keeping up with traffic enough not to stand out , I seem to average mid 30's over a tank full and did 41mpg last year touring scotland .

·
Registered
422 Posts
dmc said:
as you say70mph in the sedona is a great cruising speed at only 2250 rpm is good.
in my old lucida 70mph was around 3500 rpm.
Yea it will do that all day long - no problem

·
Registered
399 Posts
My sentiments exactly? Quite frightening I found one early morning heading east along the M62 (think I quoted this somewhere else on the forum) cruising I thought at 70 Sedona very quiet and comfortable, hardly any traffic, in some kind of a trance had a look at the speedo 105 MPH (or 110 not sure), I woke up!!! decided then to fit a cruise control, cheaper than losing my licence!! The power from this engine is something else!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a 2005 auto and I NEVER get over 30mpg solo and just come back from France towing a caravan and only got 22mpg.I dont thrash the car and try to drive as economically as possible.

Any ideas what could be wrong? seems to drive fine, only done 37k

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought a 2008 (58) Sedona 2.9 diesel auto, tookit out on a 300 mile round trip of mostly motorway driving and only got 32mpg. It was driving sensibly, so I was surprised the figure is so low compared with what other people seem to get (hence me Googling Sedona fuel economy and finding this thread)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts