Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought has anyone checked their mileage trip is accurate. Over a true measured mile what does your mileometer read. Maybe they read less than a true mile and this would give you a poor mpg reading as you work out fuel used and miles covered.
Most speedometer read faster than the actual speed you are doing but the mileometer can be the opposite and read less than the actual miles covered.
Worth testing out if you feel the cars mpg is not what it should be.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Mine is pretty much bang on with what the GPS says. The speedo is way off though, about 5 mph too high at 70 mph.

·
Registered
662 Posts
your speedo see's wheel rotation your gps see's distance traveled per second gps speed will not be acurate on hills and speedos will not be acurate on bends or if trye sizee or pressures are incorrect

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Only bought a Sat nav last November, not thought to check it against the Odometer, will check on next trip to Scotland.

On the subject of odometer accuracy some do vary and make quite a difference to calclated MPG. As examples our last 3 cars before the ceed were a C-max, Mondeo and G o l f. On our twice annual trip to Scotland we always go via the exact same route which has not changed since the M74 was built in the early 90's.

In the G o l f the milage from home to Annandale services was 200 miles exactly, home to Aviemore 400 miles exactly. In the Mondeo and C-max it was 190 miles and 380 miles, a 5% difference, as I said above not done the trip in the Ceed yet. The calculated (not dash displayed) G o l f TDi consumption was always 60mpg, the Mondeo 50 mpg and the C-max 56 mpg but if you recalculate the consumption of the G o l f using the Mondeo's and C-max's mileage it reduces to 57 mpg whichis still pretty good but when you consider that the C-max was bigger, heavier, more powerfull and had kit the G o l f only dreamed of the C-max was a clear winner in my book. Fingers crossed for the Ceed, looks OK so far, got a calculated 49.53mpg on the last fill, more motorway than town use but still 2 cold starts a day minimum.

With regards to speedo accuracy I have no idea about the G o l f and Mondeo but we had a Road Angel in the C-Max which was about 5mphless than the speedo at 70, in the Ceed its about 3mph less.

Paul
Edited by: suttonseven

1 - 4 of 4 Posts