Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've my 1st Edition 2.0 petrol Sportage ( manual 5 speed ) from new in Nov.2010. Over the winter it averaged 29 mpg and now it never does better than 33 mpg. I live in the countryside and drive in accordance with all the recomended economical driving techniques. It is on 18 inch wheels and feel by now with 8000+ miles on the clock it should be giving a better mpg overall.Am I being too optimistic?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Chris, is that real (full-to-full) mpg or what the trip computer thinks? My trip computer was almost exactly 10% optimistic averaged over 2000 miles. Best mpg I've had was 31.9.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sid
That's using the trip computer which I must admit did seem to be a bit optimistic ! I'm out of practice with a pen and paper but I would not disagree with your figures. I live in South Cumbria so I have a mixture of flat and more hilly roads but there is certainly not much town work with lots of stop start motoring. The manual quotes 35 point something which I thought I woud beat as I had a Citroen Picasso, 9yrs old, which exceeded Manufacturers mpg easily all the time I had it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Kia do not provide any consumption figures - the one's they quote are provided by an independant testing body and are determined by a strict set of criteria that, by and large, you would never encounter under normal driving conditions !!mhtml:{5BD49215-C0DE-4E2F-9404-41BA...00&KW=&PID=18959&title=fuel-consumption#18959

You will only be disappointed if you believe the consumption figures that are produced by the independant testing body for the whole industry. It is, of course, inKia's interest to quote these "garbage" figures - after all they can blame someone else if ever questioned. No one in the trade believes the published consumption figures.

Follow this link for the "official government fuel calculator" http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk/

·
Registered
291 Posts
My 8 month old kx2 petrol has only done 2000 miles of local driving and is showing 29 mpg which I know is over optimistic as I have worked it out with calculator and true mpg is actualy only 27.During the winter months it was only showing 23 but it was new then.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's been mentioned on here before, but www.fuelly.com lets you keep your consumption figures on line, does all your litre to gallon conversions etc. All you have to do is enter mileage and litres (on full-to-full, obviously) and it comes up with mpg.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and either keep driving like a miser or take up walking which is very nice where I live but a bit tedious when you are trying to get to work on time!!

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My diesel FE can pull about 39mpg , but if its stop start/local type driving it'll barely hit 34mpg.

Best I've had on a long run is 42mpg, some way short of the 47+ it should do.

It is just about possible to get the mentioned mpg, but I dont think theirs enough hours in the day to get up to 30mph whilst doing it!

Slim

·
Registered
140 Posts
Fuel consumption Kia Sportage FE Diesel Manual

Imperial Urban (cold) 31.7

Imperial Extra Urban 45.6

Imperial Combined 39.8

Congratulations Slim you are almost spot on the
"real" consumption figures as calculated at :-

http://carfueldata.direct.gov.uk

Please do not believe the "garbage
47+" provided by the industry independent testing body. My FE diesel is
currently running at 37.5 after 13500 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts