Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im looking to get a new KX2 Sportage with the 2.0 petrol engine, has anyone got one? I hear the engine does good MPG? obviously from new it wont get maximum MPG until its got a few miles on the clock, it cant be as bad as the old sportage

·
Registered
289 Posts
Depends how you use it.Most people expect to get nearly what manufacturer says but it never happens.I have a kx2 petrol 3 weeks old only done 120 miles with it up to yet only been used for 3 or 4 mile trips in this cold weather and average fuel consumption is reading 23mpg which is as much as i expected with this type of use.I expect it should increase as the engine beds in and the weather warms up but the car is great.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It seems with Kia's (perhaps all other manu's these days) that to get anywhere close to the stated fuel economy you need to drive with a feather touch on the peddle.

My deisel FE AWD supposed to do 47mpg. Driving 50/50 mix (or perhaps a 60/40 in favour of motorway) and not really driving like i'm100 years old (eg I put my foot down every now and then!) I'm doing 34mpg.

Slim

·
Registered
197 Posts
Most of us take a hard look at fuel consumption figures and CO2 output when buying a new car (and a recent used one) but not many of us seem to understand or try to find out how the figures are produced.
First, KIA does not produce the figures. They are done by an EU testing agent. In the UK the Vehicle Certification Agency is responsible - google them and all is explained.

Secondly, the figures are produced in a lab on a rolling road. There is a fudge factor for wind resistence but the rolling road is nothing like the real world. While there are figures posted for different wheel sizes, the tests do not take in to account the exact model which means weights and additional loads created by all the gizmos are not really taken in to account.

Thirdly, the test is conducted at 20C. Fuel consumption varies widely with temperature. The test starts with a cold engine...we all know though that a cold engine warms up a lot faster at 20C than the minus 6C I'm currently enjoying (or not).

Lastly, the test is conducted over a total of 6.8 miles - 2.5 for the urban and 4.3 for the extra urban. The max speed, reached only briefly, is 75 MPH. Does this sound like how you drive?

Even the VCA admits that it's hard to achieve the same figures in the real world but points out that as all makes have the same test, the relative data should be informative.

So don't blame Kia if you are not achieving what you expect...the testing is not ideal but it's a bit more consistent thant it used to be.

Like I say, have a look at the FAQs on the VCA website - this link probably won't work!

http://...vca.gov.uk/fcb/faqs-fuel-consumptio.asp

Richard

PS -this site prevents links by replacing the www with ...

To make the link work, copy it and paste it in to your browser then make sure the ... is replaced withthree xw.
Edited by: Blow-in

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi i am waiting for my petrol FE to arrive, does any one out there have one and can they state what sort of fuel consumption they are getting at the moment? i would expect it to go up when the warmer weather returns but it would be nice to have a reasonable idea on actuals as mpg stated is never very accurate due to different factors.

Many thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mmmm.... Personally I would think hard before getting the petrol version. I agonised over this until a 2.0ltr diesel was offered to me. I'm getting 36 mpg on the Diesel FE. That's on a daily 16mile round trip in and out of town. Admittedly I easily see 42-3mpg on a run. I used to own a Mazda5 2.0 Sport petrol and this averaged out at 33mpg. I really can't imagine the new Sportage petrol engine would be any better than my old Mazda. Fuel isn't getting any cheaper (You soon forget this fact when enthusing over your new purchase).

·
Registered
289 Posts
my 20ltr petrol has had its first run today about 60 miles on ordinary open roads and average fuel consumption has read 37 mpg.of course we dont know how accurate these readouts are until you have checked over a few tanks full.when you consider the diesel is £1500 but road tax£75 cheaper if you only do low milage and don,t tow i think the petrol is a better buy .also the first 5 percent of extra economy of diesel has gone in extra fuel cost over petrol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
37mpg is pretty good. And you're not wrong with your calcs.Idid the due diligenceplus scenarios.What swung it for meon the diesel was psychological (peace of mind)knowing the residual value could be higher for the diesel.The 1.5kdifference at new might stillbe approx1k in three years andthe second hand market should be strong. Putting my logic aside and on a more positive noteI think this is a great car to own and drive regardless of what you're sticking in the tank and your enjoyment shouldn't diminish in any way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks for the update guys,

i also looked into the diesel but there were none left to order. only thing i would say working in the trade is on modern diesels unless you are doing high mileage the dpf filter can become an issue. if i get above 30 mpg from the petrol it will be an improvement from my old zafira 2.0 litre turbo!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was thinking of buying a Sportage 2.0 diesel, but when I checked the manual it said you have to drive at 2000rpm for 25 minutes if the dpf warning is activated. Apart from the M6, there is nowhere in Cumbria you could do that. DPF's are going to kill the diesel market for private use once buyers recognise them for the half-baked bit of engineering they are.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think if you ran more slowly in a lower gear at same rpm it would have the same effect but I bought a petrol 1 for same reason.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am getting just under or just over 30mpg with mine, that is from the trip computer.

2.0 AWD Petrol Sportage FE.
My sig is not showing for some reason.
Edited by: velcrohead

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sid Rumpo said:
I was thinking of buying a Sportage 2.0 diesel, but when I checked the manual it said you have to drive at 2000rpm for 25 minutes if the dpf warning is activated. Apart from the M6, there is nowhere in Cumbria you could do that. DPF's are going to kill the diesel market for private use once buyers recognise them for the half-baked bit of engineering they are.

Has anyone had a DPF warning activate? I've done 40K miles with the older 2 litre diesel with DPF and it's never occured.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts