Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, 1st post here and am seriously thinking of buyinga Sportage
Ive seen the car i want, July 2011 ex-demo AWD Auto Artic White Satnav.

My current car is a E60 530d m sport

I know the 2 cars are totally different but you really never know i think until you drive a car for a few weeks as to how you would get on with it

Anyone went from similiar

How do the interior plastics hold up to rattles? cant be having those!

Any comments appreciated

·
Registered
260 Posts
Went from a RX8 231 to this and apart from a few niggles like the satnav and the fact I'd like a bit more power its a great car which will hold its value. Not sure about what you mean by plastic, mine's leather and it doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">I'm a bit of a rattlephobe too. So far, none have manifested themselves over the two weeks we have had the car. It is used for a 50 mile round trip commute every day over some quite poor roads.
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">I would have posted earlier... but the forum broke when I tried to post my reply. Again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HGF69 said:
Went from a RX8 231 to this and apart from a few niggles like the satnav and the fact I'd like a bit more power its a great car which will hold its value. Not sure about what you mean by plastic, mine's leather and it doesn't rattle.

Thanks for the replys, yea meant the interior dash and any plastics in the car, the one im looking at also if leather. Rattles do my head in to be honest, so am worried if 20k in and rattles start everywhere

it will have to go!

Im also worried about future value, the one im looking at is £24k, wouldnt want it to be worth 7-8k in 3 years time! though with the 7 year warranty it sould hold up ok i think.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Residuals seem to be pretty good at the moment. We were initially looking second hand but quickly realised that we could buy a new one for less money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WHat sort of prices can you expect for a Ex-demo July 11 AWD 2.0 kx3SatNav with towbar?

I have a tradein so cant buy straight.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I went from an e46 convertible and an Astra SRI 2.0 Turbo to the Sportage.

My wife and I love the car, the BMW was getting on in age and milage and the Astra was my toy, but we are looking to start a family and only need the 1 car so this is where we ended up.

I was looking at second hand range rovers, bmw x5's and volv0 c90's (i think) originally and the KIA never crossed my mind until we were driving past the Kia garage in Royston and my wife said lets take alook, im a bit of a badge snob, (ok not with the astra) and didnt want to but my wife persisted and i am glad she did!!

We both love driving the car. Its no BMW but for what you pay and what you get its outstanding.

We have a top spec KX3 2.0 AWD Diesel with the Auto box, the auto box has some niggles i need to talk to the dealer about but other wise its an excellent car.

:) happy owner here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I went from a vauxhall Astra VXR to a kx3 1.7
Do I miss the Astra, not really but that's purely down to how much I'm loving my Kia. Only problem in 2 months was a piece of exterior trim needed popping in place, 2 min job sorted by dealership. No rattles and the overall build quality is sound. Spend half hour last night talking to a couple who were admiring my car as I walked up to it. Get plenty of admiring glances. I doubt very much you would regret the change. Residuals? I'm sure they will hold well, transferable warranty a big plus, as is the equipment levels and styling. I imagine a sought after car in a few years time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers, when you say it's no BMW can you explain, I'm also looking at so many options, used x5, xc60, xc90 didn't like the autobox but great comfort, even the basic spec evoque though needs to be the dynamic to look any good and that's 40k. Tiguan felt nothing special

·
Registered
147 Posts
Forgot to mention performance, it's a totally different drive to a VXR which was rapid but I don't feel mine is underpowered, pulls quite nicely. Overtaking not a problem both on open roads and motorways. A lovely drive :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I sold a 9yr old 911 turbo and used some of the proceeds
to buy a new KX-2 AWD petrol 2.0L (planning kids). Got the car start of June
2011 and have clocked up 2500 miles. Initially impressed with the Sportage but
that's wearing off now and I'm considering getting rid of it. Have been offered
£16k from a Kia dealer but would likely get £17k-£17.5k if I sell private ""“
fully expected this but may wait until the first fall of heavy snow to put it
on the market. I paid £20.7k

Plenty gadgets for the money. No rattles inside.

Personal dislikes:

I find the car lurches a lot between gear changes and
breaking due to the very soft suspension (tires maxed out at 38psi).

Gear ratios onthe 5 speed petrol gear boxare
not the best. Even revving hard in 2nd and changing to3rdbrings you
down into low revs with no torque or power. The pick up is very slow. I've had
a lot of different cars and this is the worst gearbox I've owned. It feels like
it could have done with a 6 speed box. A turbo on the petrol would also have
been a nice option. The diesel is probably better but I couldn't wait 9-12mths
for a car.

Check the problems with seat vinyl/leather tearing. I've
got early symptoms of this occurring.

Car beeps / warns youfor just about everything (no
seat belt on, sunroof not closed, in wrong gear etc...) yet leaving an interior
light on by accident and the battery is dead - no beeping as you lock up. Very
frustrating.

No illumination on some buttons at night - interior
lights for example - you'll be opening the sunroof by accident.

No ability to change or turn off the auto dimming of
audio information screen etc... Can't see it when it dims in marginal lighting
conditions.

The steering is the worst I've experienced in a car
(electrically assisted). The vague steering is very apparent while driving on
dual carriageway / motor way with long straights. You find yourself continually
making adjustments with lack of feel from the steering.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a hell of a drop in 2500 miles close to 5k. Probably the first mostly negative review I have read and things I will have to look out for on the test drive. Def want something which handles as close to a car as can be expected from a crossover. I will miss the torque and constant pull of the 530d but that's also to be expected. Any other comments are appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would consider the diesel 2.0L AWD. On paper it's slower but I did test drive it and it pulls better with the higher torque at low revs. The 6 speed box also felt better. However, I would not go fora diesel if you're using it mostly for short city commutes due the DPF issues that are widely know about.I've been hunting the forums to see what I can do to the Petrol model to make it a bit quicker but have not found anything yet - no ECU remaps etc... The dieselturbo can be remapped if you go for that. If you check the <?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">US</st1:place></st1:country-region> forums you quickly find out that the car lives up to its name over there as it's sporty to drive with bigger engines and turbos on the petrol models. I also drive a Mk5 GTI for fun so I'm not missing the 911TT when I posted the above comments- just honest feelings about the car after 5-6mths ownership. More than happy to answer any other questions you have.

Cheers,

Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im going for a longer test drive . hopefully tomorrow so will report back then as to what i think over a variety of surfaces. My main worry would be the interior quality (rattles)after a year or 2 driving. I actually drove a F10 2010 530d at the weekend andboth frontseats creaked and rattled the entire drive, which for a 1 year old BMW was v surprising to be honest. Does say alot for current BMW build quality, something i would expect of alot lesser brand names.

I definately do NOT want a car that creaks and rattles at the slightest ripple in the road.

I also want to see how it pulls when overaking, ie does it struggle, though most reviews seem to say otherwise.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
We must have taken about four test drives before we finally decided to go ahead and buy a Sportage. Some dealers are extremely helpful and will give you the keys and let you get on with it (I can recommend Warwick Kia.) Choosing which model was easy because we were looking for maximum fuel economy so it had to be a diesel. Fuel economy also ruled out the auto and AWD. We did briefly consider AWD but decided that we had managed perfectly well with FWD for years, despite living in a very rural area and having interests that take us off tarmac roads.

I am quite a fast driver and I'd say that it handles extremely well. It's easy to forget that you are driving a tall and reasonably bulky SUV. I have no issues with the steering at all (so far.) My wife has actually commented on how much she likes the steering. She was initially a little concerned that the engine would lack power. It does... but it makes up for it with usable torque. It easily pulls up a long, steep and twisting hill on our commute home in fifth gear without losing speed. It certainly isn't a sluggish as the published figures might suggest.

The only slight disappointment so far is the comfort of the passenger seat. I have long legs and I find that, even with the seat all the way back, it doesn't give me enough support under my thighs. I'm hoping that simply altering the angle of the seat base will bringrelief, it has on three previous cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well im back from the test drive, couldnt get as much driving out of the car as we would have liked due to no diesel in the take, range showing 0, and couldnt see a pertol station anywhere. Did get approx 15 mins. Car drove pretty well, steering a little light on occassions. Felt pretty good inside, quiet enough to hear each other talking without raising voices, still not sure how the interior will hold up after a year or 2 with interior rattles, there were a couple comming from the boot area.
The kit/spec is very very good, was the KX3 auto Satnav, though to be honest really dont need AWD or Auto, so probably makes more sense waiting for a manual with Satnav ( only really want it for the reversing Camera ) all those models seem very hard to come by here in N ireland. The car does look stunning for what it is, my hat off to the Audi Design Guy. LED's do look the part!

Still considering PX'n the 530d. The car is up at £23,800, July 11 AWD 2.0 Auto with Towbar

Though when i got back into the 5 series i know i will miss it ALOT when it does go, so keep changing my mind again and again.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
You could probably get a new 1.7 diesel '3' satnav for a lot less than £23,500 by going through a broker. You could save even more by not having the factory satnav and spending £350 on an aftermarket built in unit.

Part exchange isn't necessarily a problem either. We bought through a broker and traded a car in when we collected the Sportage. IIRC the total saving on list was over £3,500.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I reckon these cars will hold their value pretty well. Forget what comes off the price immediately as as soon as you drive a new car out the showroom you wipe 3 grand of its value.

Its looks and 7 year warranty are a real plus. There's also a shortage and will be for some time so they'll be in demand. Who'll want a 2nd hand Kuga, Hyundaior Quasqai in a few years if you can own one of these?

I have never owned a car that so many people have commented on in car parks, it really has had 20+ remarks and looks on a daily basis.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts