1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honestly they are already out there... o_O
Indeed, but this will only make the amount who do it even worse

Its one of the reasons i rarely use cruise control, as i find it far too easy to switch off, i much prefer to keep full control of my vehicle, and use the motorways as they were intended (utilising the most left hand lane available), not driving at 69mph in the middle lane with blinkers on

The only time i ever use it now is for driving through motorway roadworks, with average speed cameras

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
This is my fear with all these new fangled "safety" gismos, people will simply pay less attention to the road whilst driving, and be more tempted to drive when tired, thinking (incorrectly) that these so called safety gismos will save them

It's going to lead to a certain proportion of drivers driving like zombies
One advantage of EV's and their range. You are forced to take a decent break every so often (y)

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
What's wrong with doing the speed limit in the middle lane, is the outer lane too much for you to use?
Because you drive in the Left Lane unless overtaking (y)

·
Registered
Proceed GT Line-S on order. Currently Leon 15 Xcellence
78 Posts
Doesn't matter what speed you are doing 30mph - which will likely end up getting you a ticket unless the reason is slow traffic, or driving at or exceeding the speed limit, you keep to the left most lane unless overtaking; there is no fast lane either, there are only overtaking lanes. CLODs and RHODs cause undertaking, which is also wrong but what else can you do when there is a numpty who refuses to move to the left. Perhaps PC plod should charge a few with driving without due care and attention or careless driving.
I have worked on some of the traffic centres installing the systems that control the cameras that monitor the motorways and the standard of driving by some never ceased to amaze me, frightening is another word for it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Its one of the reasons i rarely use cruise control
No idea what this thread is about other than motorway driving. I guess something has been deleted that makes it pretty meaningless.

With regards to cruise control we would not be without it. The Ceed was our first car with it fitted. The 430 mile drive from our lodge home would leave us feeling drained but with CC in the Ceed the drive was much easier. No need to concentrate on your speed, more time to concentrate what is happening around you. A tap on the brake deactivates it if your right thumb was tired. Only issue was long downhills, your speed could creep up.

But with Active Cruise Control (or whatever different makes call it) as fitted to our newer cars that does not happen, set it at 73 mph and that is where it stays, the brakes are used to keep you there. Only small issue I have with it is it can be easy not to notice your speed is dropping if you get behind a motorway dawdler since it matches your speed to the car in front. Rarely happens now but had to retune ourselves initially.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,489 Posts
What's wrong with doing the speed limit in the middle lane, is the outer lane too much for you to use?
I suggest you do some basic reading and understand the UK motorway lane structure.

A Beginner’s Guide to Motorway Lanes – and how to use them

Why there’s no such thing as a fast lane or a slow lane
The first thing to remember on entering a motorway is that there’s no such thing as a fast lane or a slow lane. All lanes have a speed limit of 70mph unless otherwise indicated.​
Motorways typically have three lanes:
Lane one – the left lane – is for routine driving.
Lane two – the middle lane – and lane three – the right-hand lane – are for overtaking.
Keep to lane one unless there’s a build-up of slow-moving vehicles in that lane, when you can move over to one of the other lanes. However, you shouldn’t stay there longer than necessary, particularly if you’re holding up traffic.​

Reactions: Gloomy Bear

·
Super Moderator
3,422 Posts
@Back again as I said earlier in this thread, I split this from the original post as it had wondered way of topic. You can link back to the original thread by following the link on my quoted remark on the first post or click here

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
I have seen many people have fun with the "Let's sit in the middle/lane 2" crowd.

Pass in lane 3, move back to lane 1 slow down, as they go past long hard stare. Rinse & repeat 🤣
Seen others pass slow down & see what they do.

·
Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have seen many people have fun with the "Let's sit in the middle/lane 2" crowd.

Pass in lane 3, move back to lane 1 slow down, as they go past long hard stare. Rinse & repeat 🤣
Yep, I'm one of those people

I also delight in driving past them in lane one (perfectly legally I might add), and see them explode in anger when they think you have undertaken them, either that, or they don't even notice you at all, and remain fixated on their middle lane crusade

·
Registered
801 Posts

I have seen people do that sort of thing as well - but it is pi55ing in the wind innit.
I just laugh at middle lane 'hoggers' and overtake them and leave them to it - I also laugh at the 'Lane Nazis' and overtake them and leave them to it whilst they act out their Lane Obsessions LOL (I am sure there must be treatment available on the NHS).
I am on a motorway to try and get somewhere fast and easily - if people want to be 'Richard Heads' on the way then I just try to avoid them and carry on.
I have never understood why so meny people get so worked up about Lane use - there are circumstances/traffic conditions where it is best not to go immediately into the LH Lane and I do not always immediately do it - by the same token I try to never impede other people.
Constant lane changing on a really busy motorway is an absolute waste of time and quite often there are 3 full lanes of traffic moving at different speeds anyway.

Reactions: fenegroni

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
583 Posts
do any of you remember when the first few cars with low profile tyres and sports suspension were about? Driving in the first lane could be incredibly stressful. Double wishbone suspension front and rear with little toe in and aggressive camber meant a constant wavering in and out of the ruts dug up by the heavy lorries. At night, in the rain? even at less than 60mph was asking for trouble. I would though move over if faster traffic approached. On a busy motorway I would seek to close the gap from one group of slower cars to the next as rapidly as possible to avoid having to move into that lane…
So if you had approached at 90mph you would have probably thought j was a middle lane hogger (except I would have moved over well in time if you had just approached a little slower before accelerating into the distance again)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yes bad condition LH lane is one of the reasons I alluded to above when I posted that moving into the LH lane automatically is not necessarily a sensible decision - I always drive with reference to the appertaining road and weather conditions - 'driving by numbers' is definitely not my style LOL but rest assured I will be driving as fast as achievable/legal.

Reactions: fenegroni

·
Registered
Proceed GT Line-S on order. Currently Leon 15 Xcellence
78 Posts
Whilst not illegal to undertake, this is from the RAC site, full link here: Undertaking – have you been breaking the law? | RAC Drive

Can you receive a penalty for undertaking?
Some drivers may find it tempting to undertake, especially if they’re faced with a middle-lane hogger, but be aware that it can be dangerous and you can be fined for doing so.
Undertaking recklessly could see you receive a fixed penalty notice (FPN) for careless driving or driving without due care and attention.
READ MORE: 10 driving offences you didn’t know were illegal
This usually means three points on your driving licence and a £100 fine, although some police forces may offer a driver education course as an alternative.
In some more serious cases it could be considered dangerous driving which carries a harsher penalty of up to nine points on your licence or disqualification, a fine of up to £5.000 and a court summons.

I don't bother with passing then moving to the left and slowing down, I just pass, signal my intention and move back to the left and move on, hopeful that showing the numpty the way to do it might have some effect.... it sometimes does. Obviously road conditions play a part in this, but on a motorway with clear left hand lane with a good surface there is no excuse.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts