Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick one.

Took my Sedona (53 plate) for its MOT and it passed first time, 107000 on the clock. Must say I was impressed that there wasn't a bush or track rod end or other that was worn at this age/mileage.

Just got me wondering, with the slating some folk give these cars, whats the pass/fail rate on Sedonas and if it failed first time, what on, it might give an indication of problem areas to check for future MOTs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In the two years i had my sedona the car cost me £1650 in repairs and it was bought from a kia main dealer. It was the most unreliable car i ever bought and i had the privilege of buying it for six grand. Downgraded to a new picanto and very happy so far. Its early days yet, but the sedona was a total nightmare for me.

·
Registered
702 Posts
timtheenchanteruk said:
just a quick one.

Took my Sedona (53 plate) for its MOT and it passed first time, 107000 on the clock. Must say I was impressed that there wasn't a bush or track rod end or other that was worn at this age/mileage.

Just got me wondering, with the slating some folk give these cars, whats the pass/fail rate on Sedonas and if it failed first time, what on, it might give an indication of problem areas to check for future MOTs.

To be truthful a lot depends on how it has been maintained over the years. I tend to be more on the proactive side rather than the reactive side when it comes to maintainance. If I see something that doesn't seem right I replace rather than wait until it fails. Mines done 92,000 on a W plate ,never had it fail an MOT yet but most of it is common sense.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bruno, what are you saying exactly?. Because to me your post fails on two counts. First you are saying if a car has problems its the owners fault. So myself who had the car serviced at the proper intervals and faults appear because i and others did what wrong?

Second, you say if something does not seem right you get it replaced. So in fact a part fails and you replace it before the car breaks down. Like what i and every other person does. Some times tho the car will fail with out warning, Is that the owners fault too?So in fact if you are going around replacing parts here there and every where, the car is not as reliable as you say.

Edited by: Dustyjoe

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dustyjoe said:
Bruno, what are you saying exactly?. Because to me your post fails on two counts. First you are saying if a car has problems its the owners fault. So myself who had the car serviced at the proper intervals and faults appear because i and others did what wrong?

Second, you say if something does not seem right you get it replaced. So in fact a part fails and you replace it before the car breaks down. Like what i and every other person does. Some times tho the car will fail with out warning, Is that the owners fault too?So in fact if you are going around replacing parts here there and every where, the car is not as reliable as you say.

DustyJoe having spent years in the motor trade including as an MOT tester, some of the things I've seen you would not beleive.Just having the car seviced at regular intervals sometimes (in most cases) is not enough. With some new cars now not needing a service from anywhere from 12 to 24 months, some (NOT ALL) are content to leave it until the service is due or the service light comes on. Cars can and will break down no matter how much you have them serviced with electronics probably the worse culprit for this it works 1 minite and fails the next . What I meant in the original post was I service my sedona along Kia's recomendations but I check check and check every week just for peace of mind . When I said if something does not look right I change it it's for my peace of mind not because the part is failing/making a noise etc. How an owner looks after the car does go along with how reliable the car is.

As for MOT failures most cars fail on the following ball joints/bushes/brakes out of balance or not working to specifications( ie not working ) Bulbs/wipers/tyres/rusty brake pipes/damaged flexible pipes/blowing exhausts and emissions . Now for most of these there is no excuse. If I had a pound for everytime a failed cars owner said "but I only had it serviced 2/4/6/8 etc months ago. One common on front wheel drive cars split/damaged CV joint rubbers. These dont make a noise they throw a bit of grease around the wheel arch and if you are lucky it runs through the gaps in the alloys so you know somethings wrong, but if not, unless you check on a regular basis you wouldn't know until the CV joints start to make a noise. Rusty brake pipes are very much down to the individual testers interpration of the standard for them, but I'll guarantee that most places that do MOT's and repairs will fail more rusty brake pipes than Testers who are just an MOT tester and don't do repairs

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's fair enough.
My car never failed an MOT, but it was a nightmarefor things going wrong. ECU, Alternator, Pulleys and then steering pump. Just glad its gone. Now i have a brand new picanto and after a week of getting used to driving such a small car, i am loving it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dustyjoe said:
That's fair enough.
My car never failed an MOT, but it was a nightmarefor things going wrong. ECU, Alternator, Pulleys and then steering pump. Just glad its gone. Now i have a brand new picanto and after a week of getting used to driving such a small car, i am loving it.
I would imagine after driving the Sedona the Picanto feels like a sports car
as the Sedona is not noted for quick acceleration. As with all cars some cars are what I term Friday afternoon cars and are riddled with faults whilst others of then same model seem to be trouble free go figure

·
Registered
187 Posts
It took a bit of getting used too and i am a big bloke so felt really strange in such a small car.My exuberance was that bad, that i was never going to touch a kia again. It was the fact that the dealer payed off the finance and i got a deal on my new picanto. So far i am happy, but the car is only two weeks old

1 - 9 of 9 Posts