Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So today my Kia Ceed failed its MOT on one of the led day time running lights not working 馃う

Has anybody had a similar issue? Can just the day time running lights be replaced? Or is it a new unit

How did you fix it? Kia parts have just quoted me 拢600 plus vat for a replacement headlight unit!!

The car is 2014 but the previous owner never stuck to the service schedule so I'm pretty sure the warrant is invalid

Many thanks!! 馃憤

Registered
As the headlight unit is not a serviceable item whether or not the service schedule has been adhered to should be immaterial. Therefore it might well be worth speaking to a Kia dealer about this to see if the warranty would apply as the car is less than 7 years old.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I thinking of popping down to kia on Monday. Hopefully it's in their interest to sort it for me as they are still billing kia for the repair.

Registered
Kia warranty should deal with this so long as the warranty has not been voided. I had mine replaced under warranty on my 2012 registered Cee'd after about 5.5 years from new. Parts had to be shipped from Korea so it took a couple of weeks before the repair could be completed. For me it was non urgent as the MOT was not due for several months.

Registered
This is what I call "in built obsolescence" -ie: make it illegal to have some technical do-hicky not working and then charge ridiculous amounts for a replacement to nudge customers towards hopefully a newer purchase when car is out of warranty.
While I fully appreciate DRL's are helpful(not necessary, but certainly helpful), do they really need to be a 拢600 repair bill?
Wouldn't it be better for the customer and better for the environment if it was a replacement bulb and accessible easily? (also it would encourage the customer to stay with the Marque if parts are sensible)
I firmly believe that as lights are a safety feature they should be accessible by any average DIYer in less than 10 minutes and be changeable by that DIYer (or AA / RAC type person) at roadside and not need a whole new lamp unit. How these cars get type approval amazes me as it means you could have bulbs blow to render the car invisible to other road users at night and it need a ridiculous bill and hours of labour to get it working again....
Kia aren't the only ones either, all Marques seems to be going down the in built obsolescence route. I'm pretty sure in the early 2000's Renault had a car that needed the front bumper removing to change a headlight bulb!!.

On the up side, it isn't a serviceable part so should be covered by the warranty.
I had my O/S rear door (known rust issue) and sun roof seal replaced this way as although servicing hadn't been within Kia fully, the parts are not serviceable and are expected to last at least 7 years.

A quick google suggests failed LED driver units are the issue with these and the driver unit is not 拢600 (拢56 on Ebay) but its a faff getting to it due to the sealed unit nature of the headlamp assembly. There are a couple of Youtube videos on folks who have changed them but its a competent DIYer job only and you'd probably be as well finding a headlamp unit from a rear end shunt write off if you end up down this route if warranty fix is knocked back.

Super Moderator
Assume this is a LED DRL. Hence the cost.

Plenty of posts on these being replaced under warranty, some even after 7 years.

How these cars get type approval amazes me
Maybe it is something the regulators are pushing for to stop people fitting illegal light bulbs to their cars.

Registered
Both of myine went. Kia replaced the entire units under warranty. However I thought cars older than 1st March 2018 were exempt from daytime running lights being tested on a MOT?

Registered
Both of myine went. Kia replaced the entire units under warranty. However I thought cars older than 1st March 2018 were exempt from daytime running lights being tested on a MOT?
We've been here before haven't we?

There are NO cars younger than 1 st March 2018 which are due for Mot.

All exterior lighting equipment, if fitted must work, Even after market add-ons.

Registered
The problem is that the DRLs double up as front position lamps, and thus must be fully functional at all times. When I had a Cee'd and one of the DRLs failed, I e-mailed my local dealer asking about the legality of driving with a defective front position lamp. Guess what? No reply! The following week, however, the parts arrived from Korea and the job was done.

Registered
It is technically illegal to drive with a defective DRL or with a defective front position lamp. Prosecution is unlikely especially if you can show that the vehicle is booked for remedial work (even if yu don;t have a firm date).

I see so many cars with only one headlamp or side light or tail lamp it must be loooong odds indeed to ger pulled for it. In your position I would get it booked in and then drive it

Registered
Many car parts shops fit bulbs for free as part of their plan to recommend washer fluid, wiper blades, and just get customers into the shop. A large number of the cars driving about with just one light on could be fixed with one short visit to a friendly car part shop.

Registered
Many car parts shops fit bulbs for free as part of their plan to recommend washer fluid, wiper blades, and just get customers into the shop. A large number of the cars driving about with just one light on could be fixed with one short visit to a friendly car part shop.

While on older cars this is sometimes works it is far from that simple on more modern cars. To change the bulb in my secretary's Renault required the removal of the bumper and grille and headlight to access the bulb, for a labour cost of 拢270 (and that was several years ago), Any factory fitted LED or HID requires the replacement of the entire assembly usually including reflector and lens, so for headlights that is serious money.

Registered
I also had a renault, and had to remove the grill and lights to replace 2 xenon D2s bulbs, however the newer renault i have now is just a 5 min job to replace the HID bulbs, similar to a typical H4. Many of the cars with just one light on have H4s.
I guess the traffic police just need to be lenient on folk who don't have the will, ability or budget to replace the newer fancier lights when they go.

Registered
Something to consider before buying a new car. Built in unnecessary expense courtesy of the EU who love lights on all the time, but did not specify LED of course. Bring back Lucas sealed beamed units when we are out of the EU.

Registered
Bring back Lucas sealed beamed units when we are out of the EU.
I presume you are having a laugh.

But if you are being serious lets consider the facts:

1 They were rubbish even in the 1970's. My first 6 cars were fitted with them but out of desparation and a desire to stay alive I replaced them on the Spitfire and the wifes Mini with Cibie H1 Halgen direct replacements, literally a night and day difference.

2 Since they were rubbish over 40 years ago I somehow doubt that they would meet todays more stringent standards.

3 And with regards to us being sold cars with sealed beam lights now we are out of the EU think again. To fit such pathetic lights would require a redesign of the front end of cars that were intended for the UK market and who is going to go to that expense when the rest of the world is quite happy living in today and not the past.

If you want a car with sealed beam units buy a classic. They have many other features you probably remember fondly such as failing to start in the morning, leaking oil on the drive, leaking water in as many places as possible, falling apart with serious corrosion by their 5th birthday. And would you really be happy driving a car without modern safety kit on a daily basis when every other car on the road is probably twice the weight of the classic and has far better brakes.

Things were not as good years ago when you think about it even though though you may fondly remember them.

Registered
I presume you are having a laugh.

But if you are being serious lets consider the facts:

1 They were rubbish even in the 1970's. My first 6 cars were fitted with them but out of desparation and a desire to stay alive I replaced them on the Spitfire and the wifes Mini with Cibie H1 Halgen direct replacements, literally a night and day difference.

2 Since they were rubbish over 40 years ago I somehow doubt that they would meet todays more stringent standards.

3 And with regards to us being sold cars with sealed beam lights now we are out of the EU think again. To fit such pathetic lights would require a redesign of the front end of cars that were intended for the UK market and who is going to go to that expense when the rest of the world is quite happy living in today and not the past.

If you want a car with sealed beam units buy a classic. They have many other features you probably remember fondly such as failing to start in the morning, leaking oil on the drive, leaking water in as many places as possible, falling apart with serious corrosion by their 5th birthday. And would you really be happy driving a car without modern safety kit on a daily basis when every other car on the road is probably twice the weight of the classic and has far better brakes.

Things were not as good years ago when you think about it even though though you may fondly remember them.
I suspect oldhenry was being somewhat ironic and wearing spectacles of a pale red colour :)
I remember older cars well and leaks both oil and rain and the obligatory oil leak on British Motorbikes.
As you say, modern cars are vastly superior although somewhat overly technical which is why I say many have in built obsolescence.

Registered
We had an issue with our DLR - one side would illuminate but then go off after a short while. Our dealer replaced the Printed Circuit Board controlling the lights and they have been fine ever since.

Registered
Saw this post and had to jump in - I had my DLR's replaced a total of three times under the 7 year warranty. On the third time I made sure to have all previous incidents documented as I was about to cross the 7 year threshold and wanted to make sure this was acknowledged as a manufacturing defect as I was advised it would cost 拢600 a pop otherwise. In the end guess what, one of them started flickering again but this time the guys at my Kia dealer had a permanent workaround, to avoid replacement, that Kia had advised they do. They ended up soldering the faulty circuitry and it hasn't played up since. That's not to say I don't always catch myself looking in the car in front's bumper reflection to check they're working though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts