Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here and new to the car world in general, my car is a Kia Ceed 2011
and I took it for MOT a couple of days ago, and it failed, It needs some things fixed, but I got a quote from the mechanic for £380

I have attached a photo of what has failed, If anyone can help me understand what I am looking at as the mechanic didn't give me a full review, he
Said he needs to open the car to find the real issue as he couldn't only see from the readings.

Thanks
Product Azure Font Rectangle Screenshot

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi Alex
Put simply - your parking brake (handbrake) is not working very well.
Both rear main brakes are not working at all on the footbrake.
Offside rear brake probably seized up as it is not 'releasing' properly.

Reactions: Phil in Wales

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Alex
Put simply - your parking brake (handbrake) is not working very well.
Both rear main brakes are not working at all on the footbrake.
Offside rear brakes probably seized as it is not 'releasing' properly.

Hi Max, thanks a lot!

That is more detailed than the actual mechanic, do you have an idea what's needed to be changed?
I was going to call a place to book my car into for repair, but I was wondering if the £380 is a realistic price for these issues.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Hi Alex
Welcome to the world of motoring :)
Depends really - labour cost will be something in the region of £50 - £60 per hour at least depending on where you live,so a couple of hours job starts off costing at least £100.
Depends what the problem is - sometimes the brakes just seize up through lack of use,the back brakes only do 20/25% of the braking effort,and sometimes the brake pads just seize up due to a build up of rust and road dirt (if disc brakes on the rear).
We always leave our handbrake 'off' whilst parked at home so they do not seize 'on'.
Garages are a bit of a minefield - it is good if you can find a local independent with a good reputation for honesty and good workmanship.

Reactions: Drwho2

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are not sure if you are getting a good deal with the garage try elsewhere. New rear brake shoes are about £25. With new fittings on eBay . Back disc pads are about £20 so time to fit about 1.1/2 hours

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Alex,
try looking at clickmechanic.com I had a very simlar problem with my car, and had both rear disks and pads replaced for less than what you have been quoted there. They also came to my house and did it! Obviously depending on your car and the parts the price may be different.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts

Probable cause.. ^^^^^

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'd reccomend replacing the all the consumable parts while you are at it, don't go for a half way fix as it may last just 6 months. The low milage Ceed I purchased last year had been rarely used, the rear brakes had just been fixed by a proper workshop with all new parts and I expect this to last the rest of the cars lifetime. The handbrake still works like new 18 months later.
I have done some half way repairs on drum brakes myself, just enough to pass a MOT, and they dont last 6 months.
You may require a handbarke cable/s if they are sticking.

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new here and new to the car world in general, my car is a Kia Ceed 2011
and I took it for MOT a couple of days ago, and it failed, It needs some things fixed, but I got a quote from the mechanic for £380

I have attached a photo of what has failed, If anyone can help me understand what I am looking at as the mechanic didn't give me a full review, he
Said he needs to open the car to find the real issue as he couldn't only see from the readings.

Thanks
HI & Welcome.

Is it the same mechanic that gave the quote to the one that said they need to open it up to find the issue?

Sounds like the best option is new disks & pads at the rear of the car and a good clean up of all other parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not always easy to know who to trust when it comes to mechanics (especially if like Alexjames you're new to the world of car ownership) you could try asking around friends, family and neighbours for a local garage they'd recommend. What area are you in? someone on here may know a good one near you.
As for the brake problem it does sound like the handbrake is suffering from the mechanism inside the drum being seized up which needs the discs/drums taken off and the bad parts cleaned or replaced, similarly the footbrake not working on the rear wheels may be just the pistons/calipers/pads seized up which might be resolved with a clean up. Paying someone else to do it will mean paying workshop 'labour' charges which are way more than the mechanics wages as you have to pay your share of the workshop rent, rates, heat, light, phones etc. It's a shame the mechanic is seeming a bit vague, the more people understand about their cars the better they can look after them and appreciate why they need to pay for repairs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Been there, done that:

16 December 2020
FAIL

Mileage: 55,213 miles
Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Parking brake lever has excessive movement indicating incorrect adjustment (1.1.6 (c))
  • Parking brake efficiency below requirements (1.4.2 (a) (i))
Your issue may be slightly different but in mine bits were seized up (presumably due to lack of lubrication). The garage had to replace a part and I think I paid 160 pounds to get it fixed; can't find the invoice so can't advise what exactly needed replacing. My Ceed has been serviced by a KIA garage from new, but I suppose these sorts of things are never touched during a service.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
bits were seized up ... I suppose these sorts of things are never touched during a service.
I have not seen this mentioned on the service items table for any common car.
Similar to the slider pin/ bolts on brake calipers.
both of these issues are an easy source of work for repairers, so it may even be in the interest of the garage to let these items decay so that the customer can pay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd reccomend replacing the all the consumable parts while you are at it, don't go for a half way fix as it may last just 6 months. The low milage Ceed I purchased last year had been rarely used, the rear brakes had just been fixed by a proper workshop with all new parts and I expect this to last the rest of the cars lifetime. The handbrake still works like new 18 months later.
I have done some half way repairs on drum brakes myself, just enough to pass a MOT, and they dont last 6 months.
You may require a handbarke cable/s if they are sticking.
Thanks a lot I will do, I booked it on this Thursday and if it happens to be easy to replace all of them I will do.

The car is in excellent condition other than that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not always easy to know who to trust when it comes to mechanics (especially if like Alexjames you're new to the world of car ownership) you could try asking around friends, family and neighbours for a local garage they'd recommend. What area are you in? Someone on here may know a good one near you.
As for the brake problem it does sound like the handbrake is suffering from the mechanism inside the drum being seized up which needs the discs/drums taken off, and the bad parts cleaned or replaced, similarly the footbrake not working on the rear wheels may be just the pistons/calipers/pads seized up which might be resolved with a cleanup. Paying someone else to do it will mean paying workshop 'labour' charges which are way more than the mechanic's wages as you have to pay your share of the workshop rent, rates, heat, light, phones etc. It's a shame the mechanic seems a bit vague, the more people understand about their cars, the better they can look after them and appreciate why they need to pay for repairs.
Yes I totally agree with you, I was not very upset about the price as this is not a complete rip-off I was more upset of why he didn't tell me exactly what it needs to be done.

But now I booked a place for Thursday, and they will give me a more detailed quote, and hopefully I will sort this out soon.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Have to say, my handbrake has been working perfectly since I did the service almost 18 months ago.

My car had a full service history, so it's presumably something that gets "overlooked" by many mechanics.

It is a bit of a faff getting into that lever arm for lubrication so it's easy to understand why it's easily seized up.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The Handbrake on our Sportage had never been much good and with long travel on the lever.
I replaced all the rear brake parts a few months ago,and I could see by the angle of the handbrake cable compensator/lever under the centre console that there was probably a cable problem.Sure enough there was a small split in the little rubber bellows at the rear end of the LH handbrake cable - hence the cable was completely siezed and not allowing the little rear Hub Lever to go 'off'.
It has been an MOT advisory for 2 years (Parking Brake Binding but not excessively on one side).
I eventually managed to source a new cable and the handbrake is much better than it has ever been LOL,now we have done a few thousand miles I need to 'tweek' up the cable adjuster as obviously all the brake components have worn in and the lever now travels 'up' further (more 'clicks')

·
Registered
31 Posts
My car had a full service history, so it's presumably something that gets "overlooked" by many mechanics.
I suspect it's expected to be serviced when the brake shoes are replaced, the trouble is with the rear shoes only being for the handbrake they don't wear out quick enough. My Volvo has the same arrangement of rear brakes and I recently did a full overhaul of the rear brakes, calipers, discs, pads and shoes to overcome these problems, and I'm sure the brake shoes were the 20 year old originals which needed replacing because the linings had become delaminated rather than worn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update guys! The new mechanic said it will be at least £500 because he needs to work a lot on the hand break as it's the old style of how it works.

He said he might need to change calipers, and pads and all that and that will take a lot of labour time, especially for the hand break.

What should i do? I was expecting less than that, but they are a company and obviously the repair will come with warranty of some time.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Really depends on what needs changing Alex,shame you do not know a trustworthy local garage or car mechanic,it is fairly unusual to have to change the calipers as siezed rear brakes are often fixed by cleaning all the components,however you really do not know the condition of the brake components until you strip everything down.
At £55/£60 per hour it does not take too many man hours to get the repair bill up into many hundreds.
I probably spent £350 ish as a DIY project on our sportage rear brakes although that did include both back plates and one handbrake cable,the back plates were £100 each and the handbrake cable was £70 ish

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.