Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Can anyone help with some advice?

Just in the process of buying a lovely Sorento. Unfortunately when I did an MOT history online (dealer said he did not have previous MOTs) it showed the mileage as 63,000 in May 2010 and 59,000 in May 2011. The dealer assures me that this is a mistake and the 2010 reading should have been 53,000. The rub is that the service record in May 2010 has also been changed from 63,000 to 53,000. Don't know what to do... Have already parted with a deposit but after raising some other issues, the dealer now thinks that I'm being a nuisance and has treated me so.

Am I being pedantic or is this a real issue?

Any suggestions most welcome

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Its possible its a mistake. I take it the garage that mot'd it also serviced it and thats why there has been the mistake with mileage if they are from different garages then it would appear to be dodgy and I would refuse to take it and get the deposit back and go and find another one that is genuine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Davy

Yes, it was the same garage that serviced the car also did the MOT. We spoke with them but they said they would need the previous owners name, which the dealer has been reluctanct to provide... Last excuse was that the key to their filing cabinet has gone missing..

Will let you know how it goes.... It is a lovely car though but if it has done an extra 10k then we should expect to pay a little less maybe.

Thanks again, most appreciated

S

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a quick update.

Phoned VOSA, DVLA & Consumer Rights Bods.... Chocolate Teapots spring to mind
Waste of time and the cost of the phone calls.

S

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Lost keys, not giving you previous owners name etc is not good. Is this garage a big outfit like Arnold Clark or a small time dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sort of a medium-sized dealer. They have a couple of branches in our area. They have their own service and valeting bays etc. but are not able to do MOT's. They are also providing us with a 3 month/3000 mile warranty.

We have decided to run with it because the car is quite a nice example and if there are any problems the dealer is only a 10 minute drive away so... could be worse. However, when we collect it we are going over it with a fine-tooth comb.

Thanks again for your help

S

·
Registered
195 Posts
ITs pretty rare to make a mistake with the computer on the MOT test. My advice is walk away...lost keys to the filing cabinet? Sounds like they don't want you doing too much digging before you have collected...walk away!

Also, the service book has been adjusted?? They make the mistake on both the Mot and the service book? Deffo walk/run away!Edited by: chris_1d

·
Registered
9 Posts
This seem to be happening often when you go to look for a car.

When wewere going to change our car, we went to Bristol Street Motors in Barnsley. On the Monday we were offer a Kia Caren for £4995 and was ordered to leave a deposit as it had to be fetched from Edinburgh. When we said we wanted time to think about it, the salesman got really aggresive. When we went back on Wednesday the car had jump £1000 to £5995. We walked away and went to our local Kia dealer.

I would certainly walk away from one were mileage is wrong, if the garage will not provide youwith detail, then they are hiding something and that is not good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys

We stuck with it and bought the car... The VOSA bod told us that they have many instances where the 6 and 5 have been misread on the odometer. Then we managed to speak to the owner of the service centre who made the mistake on the MOT. He remembered the car as he had serviced it for the last four years. He seemed a nice genuine guy and was really helpful.

We're just about to hitch it up to the caravan, which is why we opted for a Sorento in the first place. Wish us luck on our test run

It's such a minefield buying a used car so thank you all for your very valued input. Will let you know how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts