Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY19 Ceed SW 1L T-GDi.

Some of you may remember that I had problems with oil starvation to a timing chain tensioner when the car was parked on an incline with engine at the higher point?

Well here's another classic for you all - the aircon drain leaks into the cabin when the car is parked the same way.

Reason - the drain tube is 10-20mm too short. Park on the flat - no problem. Park on a slope with engine at the lower end - no problem. Park with the engine at the high end and if you look underneath you can see it no longer drips entirely on the ground, it mainly drips onto a cover under the car. We're not talking about a mountainous slope here guys, just a gentle slope on a drive.

This manifests itself as a wet patch on the drivers side carpet - in line with the brake pedal but about a third of the way towards the driver. Its a very specific spot and is also repeatable on the neighbours MY68 Ceed 1L T-GDi hatchback. Took me a while to notice because of rubber mats I fitted.

Dealer knows about it although they won't admit it's a manufacturing problem.

Starting to think this car (and Kia Slovakia) is all fur coat and no knickers frankly.... :(

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
975 Posts
Starting to think this car (and Kia Slovakia) is all fur coat and no knickers frankly.... :(
Never thought of a KIA as a "...fur coat...", more of a sensible anorak from Millets...

Anyway, it reads to me you need to trade in the KIA and try some other manufacturer. They won't have any of the design 'issues' you describe!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Vestas , were you getting any noises etc from the oil starvation to the timing chain tensioner ?
Yes, there's a loud rattle from the car when cold and it gets MUCH worse the older the oil is. Its bad enough that pedestrians turned around to see what the noise is.

Had to change the oil after only 9 months and provided its parked "the right way" its not particularly noisy. Kia obviously know about it as there's a small piece of padding on the wheel arch immediately opposite the timing chain case which can serve no purpose other than to muffle the rattling somewhat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks Vestas , getting rattle intermittently on my Sportage and wife’s Ceed only when parked engine up on our drive, quite loud when it happens (tractor starting as my lad says) recorded it and the Kia tech watched the video and said it’s loud but acceptable 😂😂😂

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have rattling issues with my 19 plate Ceed. The dealer kept the car for 5 days and told me there is no problem. I have decided to sell the car but still struggling to find what I want and at the moment thinking of Corolla hybrid.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have decided to sell the car but still struggling to find what I want and at the moment thinking of Corolla hybrid.
The Toyota (and of course Lexus) hybrids are excellent; seamless integration and as reliable as you can get. I have looked at Corrolla estates at my local dealer, and they are very handsome cars. But.... you really need to test drive one first. They are a very different experience to a manual or even TC automatic. Some people love them, others hate them.

Personally, if I could justify running two cars, I wouldn't hesitate to have a Corolla hybrid for commute, shopping, holidays and tip runs, and keep the Proceed for road trips and occasional blats.

If you are after a rattle free hybrid experience, may be a UX or (used) CT might fit the bill?

·
Registered
189 Posts
@gdh300: Thanks- I drive in a very ecofriendly gentle fashion, so I don't mind driving/adjusting to Toyota/Lexus CVTs. Also, most of my driving is local. I will check Lexus UX- I think their service cost will be very high?!

·
Registered
975 Posts
@gdh300: Thanks- I drive in a very ecofriendly gentle fashion, so I don't mind driving/adjusting to Toyota/Lexus CVTs. Also, most of my driving is local. I will check Lexus UX- I think their service cost will be very high?!
Local driving is a hybrid's forte; once you get onto the motorway the fuel advantage wains. And, yes, Lexus can be expensive service, and buy!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem is that whatever you change to now is going to be premium price if its second-hand and anywhere near decent.

At some point new cars will start to hit the market in volume and anything bought second-hand now is going to lose probably 25% of its value overnight. How long that takes - who knows?

Caveat emptor peeps - used car market is like the wild-west it used to be some decades ago :)

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I like to look at how the market is doing on second hand car sales and was surprised to see how high the price is on this little red one.. I guess the low mileage helps..

·
Registered
189 Posts
@Phil in Wales : i am almost getting the same price for the ceed that I bought in November last year so was thinking to change. But I guess whatever I change will be more expensive. Considering the inflated price now, I am likely to pay more than what savings would come from non depreciated cost of ceed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Vestas : Totally agree. May be I should wait then
Well what's wrong with your Ceed then?

I'm at the stage with this one that I'll probably stick with it - I understand the issues I've come across (or there's at least a logical explanation for them) and while I'm somewhat annoyed with the reasons for some its probably best to stick with it.

I can get the tube on the aircon changed easy enough, just annoyed someone decided to cut 10-20mm off all the hoses because "its aircon & it'll dry out because the car will get hot anyway" (and it probably got them a bonus).

Frankly it drives fine with clean oil and "parked the right way" every night. I think it (1L-TGDi) really does need a 6 month oil/oil filter change if your journeys are averaging 10 miles or less over anything over a couple of months.

The manual says this but a synthetic oil needing changing at 6 months? Bit like a blast from the past but that's the way GDi's seem to be. Well this engine anyway.

I have to say that the suspension is tremendous for a car of this price range. If you get your tyre pressures right for the weight you're carrying and have decent tyres it'll be a smooth ride but it'll "pull" you into the corner via the electronics. What isn't electronics is the rear suspension and that leaves the rear end firmly planted even on a SW (estate car). Tyre pressures too high for the weight you're carrying and "bouncy bouncy" :) It'll still hold though.

The engine is interesting.

I think its tuned for max fuel economy at just under 2k revs and if you use cruise control with a bit of manual intervention its capable of some surprisingly good figures even in urban areas (50+mpg). That's with ISG on obviously and accelerating at slightly faster than average when compared to other lanes/etc

If you floor it then its a different beast. You aren't ever going to get great 0-62mph (0-100kmh) figures on an estate car with a 1L engine as it doesn't have the torque but the mid-range (35-70+) acceleration is entirely different if you're willing to up the revs to the point at which the turbo "wakens up". Probably a lot more fun in a lighter car like a Picanto.

This was intended to be my last (pure) ICE car. I think it probably still will be.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Phil in Wales : i am almost getting the same price for the ceed that I bought in November last year so was thinking to change. But I guess whatever I change will be more expensive. Considering the inflated price now, I am likely to pay more than what savings would come from non depreciated cost of ceed.
Mine came out at 2k more than last November but I think that's the paint (Dark Penta) pushing it up.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Here is my Venga.. he paid me £5,500 for it so making 2k on me if he sells it at that.. when I bought it I paid £6,200 so lost £700 on it.. could have been worse I suppose

·
Registered
189 Posts
@Vestas: My car has the 1l TGdi engine, and i drive like 7 miles a day. Your point on oil change is making me uneasy now! The car was serviced in April. I bought this to be my last ICE car as well. Don't like the idea of plugin hybrids and can't afford pure EV, so was thinking of Toyota.
What is the problem with my car- probably my inability to tolerate unwanted noise. The erratic rattles drive me crazy. I like the cabin to be quiet. I don't even put any radio when I drive. I can tolerate tyre or road noise which are like constant white goods noise but not rattles. Hybrid or EV would be very quiet, so should be good for me- just a belief at the moment.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
@Phil in Wales Your car looks in a great condition tbh
Yes this one is far better than the Red one I had.. and was enjoying my ownership of it.. I fitted new pads/discs and pad locating clips on it and that's the only thing that needed doing.. whoever buys it will be getting a good one.. had a rattle at one stage that I could never locate and that disappeared around 6 weeks before I sold it.. so all's good with near zero body damage.. just one scratch on the front bumper near the towing eye cover which has probably been buffed out..

WAX ON WAX OFF..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.