Kia Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cug,

What year and model is your car? Is it the pre-facelift 2003 - 2006 model with 140 bhp engine, or the facelift 2006 - 2009 model with 165 or 170 bhp engine?

1. If it's a prefacelift model then just follow Birdman's advice and put a switch between the two contacts of the TCCS fuse 13 in the fusebox behind the kick plate next to the throttle pedal.
2. If it's a facelift model then use one of fOster's wiring diagrams to build a circuit that does the same job, but which fools the ABS into thinking the fuse hasn't been removed.

I personally have a pre-facelift model with the 140 bhp engine, so I followed Birdman's advice and put in a switch. Took me about an hour to remove the front panel under the steering wheel, drill a hole, and fit a simple ON/OFF switch, with a wire going down to either side of the fuse holder. I didn't have any spade connectors that were small enough so I filed a couple down till they fitted. I also didn't know which was the live side of the fuse, so I put in an in-line fuse on both sides of the switch. Works perfectly!

For me the hardest part was drilling the hole so that it looked as though it should be there, and not like an afterthought. Here's a picture showing what my car looked like after I fitted it. By the way, that little red light mounted above the 4WD switch is something to do with the alarm system, and flashes every few seconds when the car is parked.

As you can see I fitted an illuminated switch from Halfords. I was hoping that when switched on it would light up. However, the voltage that goes across the switch is quite low (about 5v), and only shows up in the dark.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I fitted a switch as detailed above and it works fine...in reality, I have found that I need 4wd rarely ..we live in a rural area that is quite hilly and yet the mk1 will go most places without any bother.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I had the XE for 10 years from new. Actually only needed it twice, both on wet caravan sites with caravan on. Did select it occasionally just to keep things freed up and working

·
Registered
432 Posts
I might see about a 5volt supply to just switch the mag clutch as it would be handy to just have 'low' when reversing the trailer.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I might see about a 5volt supply to just switch the mag clutch as it would be handy to just have 'low' when reversing the trailer.
Hi
Which yellow wire did you cut on the tod controller there are three on the left hand plug one on it's own and two opposite each other in the plug.

·
Registered
40 Posts
unfortunately there is no one around that makes them right now, so its make it yourself or leave fuse 13 out until someone that has the talent can and sells a few. wish I was good with a soldering iron - I'd make a mint. :)
CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WERE THE FUSE IS

·
Registered
432 Posts
On the drivers side footwell, there is a cover behind that is the fuse board...on the mk1 it is fuse no.13 marked TCCS.(20amp)

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's fuse 13 in the small fuse box behind the vertial plastic panel just to the right of where your right foot rests when on the throttle. The inside of the cover plate shows where fuse 13 is, it's half way up on the left bank of fuses, i.e. on the left hand side as you look at it straight on, or at the back if you (like me) can only get your head part way round to see it. As a tip, use a mirror! Take the fuse out and the car becomes a 2 wheel drive, but if you do it with a facelift car (2006 - 2009 with the 165 or 170 hp engine) you'll need to follow the advice above to fool the ABS system into thinking the fuse is still there.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
it only selects 4x4 if it sees a difference in prop shaft speeds. incorrect tyres also causes this.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts