Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys ive recently brought a 2003 sorrento with the tod system. after reading around the forums i would like to fit a mod kit for better control. where would i buy the kit is my question

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
This is something you will have to make up yourself as when switching of the unit you basically have to fool the controller that it is still connected. If you do a search on forum you will find fOster has done mod on his, or you could message him through the forum for details.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
hello I have done mine with the mod that is made from two relays and a couple of other components, I need to emphasise that this is a "very" worth while mod, in fact it is essential on the TOD system, I recently fitted four matching tyres, the difference in the tread depth front to back is hardly noticeable and yet I now find that the TOD is starting to cut in again slightly, this causes premature wear of the transfer box plates, this mod allows you to mix and match tyres any way you want, and it only selects 4x4 when you want it to, and saves the life of the plates, the options are, auto, 2wd low, 2wd high, 4x4 low fully locked, 4x4 high fully locked, the best bit is you get access to 2wd in low for moving trailers or caravans etc, as I am sure you know you are not supposed to use these on hard ground in 4x4, this mod really does solve a lot of issues on these cars, there are three different circuits you can build from a circuit diagram, the one I have done uses two relays, another circuit is basically a rocker switch and a 5w resistor (this version gives you 2wd high and 2wd low and auto) the transfer box controller requires a large resistor to give it something to play with while the mag clutch is disconnected, other wise it throws its toys out of the pram. the third circuit is just a switch that switches off the supply to the transfer controller,

·
Registered
29 Posts
unfortunately there is no one around that makes them right now, so its make it yourself or leave fuse 13 out until someone that has the talent can and sells a few. wish I was good with a soldering iron - I'd make a mint. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Put me down for one too please!!!! I'm desperate for one and would pay good money, as would many on this forum, I'm sure.
Alternatively - does anyone have a shopping list I could take to Maplins? I'll then hand the bag of bits to an auto electrician and tell him to work his magic. I can't spend the rest of my life with fuse 13 sitting in the ashtray, especially living in the country with winter looming...

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Is it possible you have a circuit diagram for the mod you have done?
We have recently bought a 2005 Sorento XT which seems to be displaying all the symptoms described
Although the concept of an "Automatic 4WD" selection is great in principle, I would prefer the control of being able to decide myself what mode the transmission should be in.
Feel reasonably confident I can build it, just need a diagram to work from
Would be grateful if you can point me in the right direction
Many thanks
Mike

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
You don't need a diagram for an 2005 motor it is that simple. Take fuse TCCS out.Put test meter on each side of holder to determine which is the live side. Put a wire in this side on a spade connector and run this wire to a switch wherever you choose to put it and fit a in- line fuse. From other side of the switch run a wire back to the other side of the fuse holder. Job done
Edited by: BIRDMAN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi

Thanks for the info guys

I will get the fuse out tomorrow and check that it solves the issue, although I thought that there were other circuits running off that fuse, ABS or similar??
f0ster, sadly I cannot read the images, they are too blurry to make out. Do you have the original pdf's?

Appreciate all your help
Mike

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The early model is wired different to the 06 onwards face lift. It is the 06 0n that combines the ABS ect circuits your motor does not. That is why it is simple,just remove fuse or replace with a switch so you can change to 4WD when needed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Birdman
I have tested it this morning with the fuse out and is running perfectly
I'll wire a switch in tomorrow and that should solve the problem
Many thanks for all your help guys, until I read through the forum I as thinking faulty diff or transfer box
Great relief
Mike

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would like to know how much the clutch pack is to buy (47368-H100KKT)....There are posts about how to prevent the magnetic clutch from engaging but I haven't read a post about repairing one from someone who's done it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi again
I have had the fusebox out from the side panel this afternoon, but cannot establish which wire and connector is the one relating to fuse 13
I do not have spade connectors that are that small to be able to simply push into where the fuse come out. Mine has the really tiny fuses.
I see from some of the other threads that the question has been asked before, but cannot seem to locate an answer
I guess I am going to have to pull all the fuses and separate the casing on the fuse box tomorrow to try and figure it out, unless anybody happens to have had the same problem???
Having said that, I might go into Halfords and see if I can read through one of the Haynes manuals!!
If it's got the diagram in it, i'll probably buy it too :)
Update to follow, hopefully
Mike

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Pull TCCS fuse 13 out and put test meter lead on one side and then the other lead east to body. If you get volts reading that is the live side. If not the other side of fuse holder is live. Run the live wire to your switch with an inline fuse in between. Run wire from other side of switch to the opposite side of fuse holder. If you have not a spade connector narrow enough just file one down to size, I have done it times. You won't find any manual at Halfords. If you do it as I suggest you won't need to remove fuse box or worry about which wires,as just plug spades into fuse position.
Should add when checking for live side you will need the ignition onEdited by: BIRDMAN

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi Birdman

would this work on a 2009 xs model ? once the switch is fitted is it simply on for 4ds and off for 2wd is it a special switch a certain wattage or would any switch be ok and could i change tyres without having to replace all of them at once ? thanks in advance

·
Registered
441 Posts
No...on the face lift model that you have, the fuse also controls other things and you will get warning lights on the dash with the fuse removed..there is a modification for the control system on yours here on the forum.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
you have to disconnect the feed to the mag clutch and place a resistor in place of the mag clutch so that the controller is kept happy. you do this with a relay.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts