Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi has anyone had any clutch noise problems with the soul, mine has a "moaning noise" when you have it in reverse only, I just start slowly to lift my foot and this moaning/whine noise starts.It came on and then seem to go for a couple of days and there it is back again. No noise in forward gears ,clutch works fine.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Reverse gear is usually a straight cut gear, so the gear itself will be naturally more noisy than a forward gear.... maybe this is what you hear?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Tempest this is a noise that is not there all the time and starts when you lift your foot off the clutch pedal before the car moves,only in reverse and sounds like something catching.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The moans I have heard in the past are usually the clutch thrust bearing, the part that puts the pressure onto the pressure plate. Although why it would only do it in reverse is unusual as it will still spin in the same direction as in a forward gear. Does it only happen on the first movement of the day, meaning could it be coming from the rear brakes as you start to move back.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No Ron it is the clutch and is very peculiar ,it is not there all the time,I have just been out and it is not doing it now though yesterday it did it on and off.When you lift your foot it starts to make the noise,I thought thrust bearing but I do not see how it could be that .

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same problem on my previous car. Although the cause was never confirmed, it was suspected that the clutch bearing was on the way out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
thrust bearings a favourite with these symptoms, could be the power steering pump if the steering lock is on , ive heard a few times rear suspension bushes etc can give a few odd noises when reversing but as this happens before the car moves its odds on its transmission related with the fact its only reverse is a bit of a pointer to the fact a bit more is going on when in reverse id have the gearbox oil level checked first maybe the oils not happy at this temp or maybe a bearings picked up and is complaining ,good thing is though boxes usually give lots of vocal notice about their eventual demise.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have a moaning wife, anyone know how to stop that?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
some of them cant seem to beable to pull away on a wet road without wheelspinning.... where has the art of clutch control gone???....no wonder Auto trannys rule.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yep there's alot of trannys in the states.

I worked in the car rental business for about 10 years a while back and you should have seen some of the state the cars were in when they returned them after their "vacation" here.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
there is a well known tale of a little Citroen AX driven from london to brighton in just the one gear (it was a semi auto!!!)......the car got that hot - the plastic bonnet melted.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's the same in Canada , they areterrible drivers most of them,my daughter in law had a "stick shift" diesel VW which was a double wammy in Winnipeg as they are somewhere around 1958 to 64 in the time warp. I don't know what they do with thier cars but I hired an open top car which I think it was a Chrysler that drove like a boat in a storm,corners were alien to it and it was suppose to have a V6 engine of around 3 litre which by the time it had gone through the slush box just about moved it along.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Going back to the moan. It is probably the bearing. It will be one of those sealed for life jobbies and nothing is sealed for life, bit like the moaning wife. Get it to the dealers, then you can tell us all about it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Ron, yes I have it booked in for Thursday at 8.30 but it stopped doing it again now !
Does anybody have any issues with the gear change at all, my clutch has always had to go right to the carpet to disengage and the box does not like to be rushed,if you do it catches and crunches.I have got used to it now and it's fine but still not sure if itneeds adjusting,I did ask them to double check on the 12k service and they said everything was ok.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts