Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boringbiker (Tim) asked this:

I'm interested why Supacabby had to have a new flywheel. I know the dmf type can be troublesome but what are the symptoms? My 08 Mk3 was ok at 15k when I bought it, but now at 21k all the clutch movement is at the bottom of the pedal movement. Pumping the clutch pedal helps but when I do that, the pedal when held downpulsates like a brake pedal with warped discs. And where on earth is the clutch fluid reservoir? The handbook talks about brake/clutch fluid checking. They're not combined are they? Surely not!
The symptoms of my failure were simple really, it got stuck in gear & shuddered to a halt! RAC lifted & towed it to the dealer, they dropped the box& confirmed the dmf had failed. As I said on the other topic, Kia UK replaced the flywheel under warranty & covered all the labour costs but I had to pay for a new clutch (my choice) or they would have happily replaced the old one but I didn't want to take the risk.

I know of several others who have had dmf problems, this is also commonplace with the Skoda Octavias too so not just a Kia trademark, mind you a solid flywheel is now available for the Skodas so they're 1 step in front of Kia there!

Main symptom from other owners seems to be a shudder/vibration when engaging gears, not quite sure if this is what you're describing, certainly sounds similar.

Haven't got a Mk3 at the moment so can't comment on the reservoir, have you tried the kgis website? http://www.kiatechinfo.com/You have to register but it's a good source of anything technical for reference purposes.

I'm sure Viking Paul will pop up shortly withsome "inside" info.

HTH,

Mark.

·
Registered
662 Posts
its very common for clutch and brake systems to share the same fluid reservoir and most manufactures have gone that way
personally i am not a fan of DMF's but its used to smooth the take up and stop that surge/ engine pulse that you used to get on early diesels at low revs Fords have massive issues with transits and they offer solid conversion was not aware that Skoda were doing the same

personally give me a light weight steel flywheel with a twin plate paddle clutch 800 Hp 4wd and i am happy andNO it does not do the advertised MPG figures

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks to you both for informative replies andI'll check out the website mentioned. I'll also take the car back to the dealership pronto.
And finally, who/where do I ask for help on either showing or cancelling my avatar?

Thanks again,

Tim

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At the top of the page is the "member control panel" - you can edit your preferences there.

Good luck with the clutch problem.

Mark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts