Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a saga...!

I bought a Kia Soul from a dealer in Wales. It had been owned by an old man who only did about 4k a year...then became ill and couldnt drive. It sat unused for 2 years before the Kia dealer bought it.

Along i came and bought it because of the very low mileage for a 6 year old car. But it now has the orange engine warning light on. I rang my local Kia but they said they would not repair it without seeing the service record book. First ive heard of this as we were not given one. Reading the 7 year warranty small print it is void if the service schedule is not complete: 1st service at 20 k or 12 months then annually. But the car has only done 20k....but is 6 years old! So not only am i stuffed as it would appear the schedule has been missed...i dont have the required service record book.

Anyone else anything similar? Lost their warranty after missing the schedule or losing the record book?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
From what you have described I think that unfortunately any warranty claim is doomed to fail, despite the low mileage. With that in mind you are free to take it to ANY garage that you trust and ask them to diagnose the problem, or indeed a Kia dealer who doesn’t really need to see the service book if it isn’t a warranty claim. Did the dealer you bought it from give you any kind of warranty, apart from the Kia 7 Year Warranty?

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

Sadly you are not the 1st or be the last to get caught out by this. Which is the same as pretty much all manufactures warranties.
Car should have had 6 services, not matter how many miles done each year.

How long have you had the car?
Which Soul is it?

Any issues other than the warning light?
Might be worthwhile just taking it to local independent & see what faults are brought up. Could be something very simple & cheap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, both.

Car was bought in January. Fell for that crazy mileage. Turned out the speedo was broken. So i questioned the garage and they said it happened with the previous owner. So I had no idea what the real mileage was.

I took it to my local Kia dealer and after examination refused to repair it. They said it looked like the speedo guts had been taken out and put back in so they wouldn`t cover it under warranty...!! But their diagnostics did reveal it was only a few hundred miles above the display mileage.

My dealer collected the car and repaired it. But, as I say, the orange engine symbol is now lit up. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and accept the warranty ain`t ever going to apply and just pay up. but dreading anymore surprises. They have given me a two year extension on the warranty at their garage 100 miles away...so not sure how that will pan out. Might check that small print...

I did study the Kia warranty small print. It says if you have a major engine failure they won`t pay up if the offside rear tyre pressure is 1% under inflated. Clause 67b / 5a states that if you sneeze on the bodywork the warranty is null and void.

I should have been a lawyer...

Thanks. Link

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think you’re main problem with the warranty is that it sat unused for 2 years. T&Cs of the warranty are it should be serviced every 10,000 miles (assuming it’s petrol) or every 12 months whichever comes sooner. I can’t really see any way round that. If you belong to the AA you should be able to call them out to the warning light and they can hopefully, at least, tell you what’s causing it. It might just need a blast to clear out the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Your claim is with the dealer who sold the car. They should have sorted the clocks, not expected you to go to Kia. Maybe they tried. Which would explain why Kia would not touch it. Kia would have replaced it at your expense through.
Kia Warranty is over & above your legal consumer rights.

Bodywork warranty requires an annual check.

Look at it like this. Had it have been just about any other manufacture. The car would have been well passed any warranty.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Put yourself in the Kia dealers position
A car sold outside dealer network, with no record of regular servicing.
And then you come along expecting a warranty fix for a car that additionally has been stood for two years where all manner of things could have seized / perished etc
Would you fix it under warranty if you were the dealer?

I'm not saying the Kia warranty is as clear as the adverts make out, (and don't get me started on the hire car issues), but they have to put some protection in otherwise they would very soon have any Kia owner with a less than 7 year old car turning up with all sorts of questionable claims.

You aren't the first and won't be the last to get caught in the Kia warranty trap

It might just need an "Italian tune up" if it is something like a sticky EGR (had this with my daughters Corsa)
But as others have said,maybe use an independent garage to read the code (or buy a basic code reader and read it yourself)

Incidentally a low miles car can be worse than a high miler despite what dealers might say. Any low miler needs to have evidence of regular servicing which should ensure things haven't seized or perished.

I would advise maybe run premium petrol / diesel through it. It's possible if you've got old fuel in it that it needs some "champagne" to get things happy again.

·
Registered
Xceed 1.5 4 DCT
895 Posts
Your claim is with the dealer who sold the car. They should have sorted the clocks, not expected you to go to Kia. Maybe they tried. Which would explain why Kia would not touch it. Kia would have replaced it at your expense through.
Kia Warranty is over & above your legal consumer rights.

Bodywork warranty requires an annual check.

Look at it like this. Had it have been just about any other manufacture. The car would have been well passed any warranty.
As @iooi says its the dealer you bought the car from who is legally responsible to you, nothing to do with Kia at all.

From what you have said I would get some legal advice (from your insurance, house or car, if you have their legal protection option, or citizens advice) just so you know your actual rights rather than speculation here.

If as I suspect you find that the dealer has sold you a car that has essentially been clocked take it back, and either demand a full refund or repair the car & give you a discount for selling you a car with more miles than were stated at the time of sale if you are happy with that. They will undoubtedly squirm but hold your ground and remember they may have acted fraudulently, if so they won't want you reporting it to trading standards or whatever they are now called.

One other thing start communication with the dealer by email so there is a written record of what is said

·
Registered
Sportgage 1.6 t-gdi AWD DCT GT line
534 Posts
How long ago did you buy the car? The consumer rights act means the selling dealer should be helping you out for the first 6 months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put yourself in the Kia dealers position
A car sold outside dealer network, with no record of regular servicing.
And then you come along expecting a warranty fix for a car that additionally has been stood for two years where all manner of things could have seized / perished etc
Would you fix it under warranty if you were the dealer?

I'm not saying the Kia warranty is as clear as the adverts make out, (and don't get me started on the hire car issues), but they have to put some protection in otherwise they would very soon have any Kia owner with a less than 7 year old car turning up with all sorts of questionable claims.

You aren't the first and won't be the last to get caught in the Kia warranty trap

It might just need an "Italian tune up" if it is something like a sticky EGR (had this with my daughters Corsa)
But as others have said,maybe use an independent garage to read the code (or buy a basic code reader and read it yourself)

Incidentally a low miles car can be worse than a high miler despite what dealers might say. Any low miler needs to have evidence of regular servicing which should ensure things haven't seized or perished.

I would advise maybe run premium petrol / diesel through it. It's possible if you've got old fuel in it that it needs some "champagne" to get things happy again.
Car was purchased from a Kia main dealership. But we were not given the entire back story on the car until things stared to go wrong.......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you’re main problem with the warranty is that it sat unused for 2 years. T&Cs of the warranty are it should be serviced every 10,000 miles (assuming it’s petrol) or every 12 months whichever comes sooner. I can’t really see any way round that. If you belong to the AA you should be able to call them out to the warning light and they can hopefully, at least, tell you what’s causing it. It might just need a blast to clear out the exhaust.
RAC advised car is OK to drive with the warning light on and to get it to a garage. They basically said they would come out but not worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what you have described I think that unfortunately any warranty claim is doomed to fail, despite the low mileage. With that in mind you are free to take it to ANY garage that you trust and ask them to diagnose the problem, or indeed a Kia dealer who doesn’t really need to see the service book if it isn’t a warranty claim. Did the dealer you bought it from give you any kind of warranty, apart from the Kia 7 Year Warranty?
They assured me I had one year left on the Kia 7 year warranty after the problem with the speedo not working...and when I was told it had been off the road for two years I demanded and got for free an additional two years warranty. But reading the small print on that agreement I doubt they will be eager to pay up if they can find a get-out clause.... Used cars, eh...?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
They assured me I had one year left on the Kia 7 year warranty after the problem with the speedo not working...and when I was told it had been off the road for two years I demanded and got for free an additional two years warranty. But reading the small print on that agreement I doubt they will be eager to pay up if they can find a get-out clause.... Used cars, eh...?
If you’ve got the extra 2 years warranty in writing you’ve done very well and you should be OK. Good luck, I hope you get it all rectified

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
520 Posts
On the service book. I was getting 3rd service today and duly the service stamp was done but they hadn't stamped the bodywork 3rd. I went back in and they said they normally only do that every 2 years. However the previous 2 bodywork years had been stamped. They then stamped it for me.
So should it be every year or the 2 years they are saying ?

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Car was purchased from a Kia main dealership. But we were not given the entire back story on the car until things stared to go wrong.......
So if car was purchased from a "Main Kia Dealership" why had they not fixed the clocks before selling. Was it this dealer that rejected the warranty claim?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
So if car was purchased from a "Main Kia Dealership" why had they not fixed the clocks before selling. Was it this dealer that rejected the warranty claim?
If they are one and the same I would wonder what else is wrong with the car

·
Registered
Kia Piccanto "Shadow"
11 Posts
Well if it was Kia who sold it to you it is down to them as it should have had full service history, take it back to the dealer you bought it from, I assume it was Kia approved?

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Well if it was Kia who sold it to you it is down to them as it should have had full service history, take it back to the dealer you bought it from, I assume it was Kia approved?
from OP.
It had been owned by an old man who only did about 4k a year...then became ill and couldnt drive. It sat unused for 2 years before the Kia dealer bought it.
So apart from Kia not having a central database.
Unless the dealer that sold it had serviced it. They would never know it's service history unless the book had been stamped.
As well a good guess would be it had not been serviced for the last 2 years, if stood for that period.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I doubt if it was an actual KIA Franchised Dealership, more like a car selling place that sells all makes of cars and also sells KIA models and happen to strike lucky by buying a KIA car and trying to offload it under the idea that with a KIA there is a 7 year warranty without checking the service history until the OP had a problem, then offered a 2 year extension ( which is worthless if it`s a KIA extension as none of the service history tallys up due to a lack of service history..

There may be a way around this for the OP is if the warranty offered is not a KIA warranty but a garage warranty and the garage could get the problems sorted and claim from the garage warranty and not from KIA

1 - 20 of 51 Posts