Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to Kia and bought a Sorento XT CRDi last week. The garage put a new tyre on the O/S/F as it was on the limit.

While out driving it the last couple of days I have felt a bit of a misfire or kind of judder around the 2000-2500 rpm range, as I am accelerating up through the gears. Kind of like the engine is holding back a bit on me.

There is a post on the forum that also speaks about a judder and goes on to talk about tyres and their wear. I have two Hankook's on the rear and two cheapo brand type tyres on front, a Barum and something else that is the brand new one - ALSO I feel while sitting on the dual carriageway and also many other roads it feels like the car is almost vibrating slightly, even when i was going down a hill I slipped it into neutral and it never disappeared as I thought it was the engine that was causing it. It just isn't a smooth ride at all.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Another query can anyone point me in the direction for second hand Sorento parts, I have a few faults I need to fix, electric folding mirror inop, rear wiper poor motor like its on the way out and the electric aerial isn't retracting properly.

Thanks in advance
Ian

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am no expert mate
but in simple terms your Hankooks on the rear need to be put on the front if
even in tread depth, you then need another of the brand new budget tyres and
have them both on the same axel on the rear,

Ideally you should have all 4 brand new
and replace in pairs with the same make again and always put the new on the
rear, your actually better off with 4 budget tyres than 2 premium and 2 budget,

What I think your feeling is the
clutches in the transfer box overworking due to it trying to find the best grip
all the time,,

I am happy to be over ridden by more knowledgeable
persons but I would start there..

Good Luck..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have ordered another budget tyre, gets fitted tomorrow. I removed all wheels today and swapped front to rear and vice versa, that juddery feeling has gone so must have been the tyres. Ideally I would love to just fit 4 brand new premium tyres like Good Year but I cant afford it right now. I still feel like it is a hard bumpy journey even on smooth roads but hopefully replacing the tyre tomorrow will make a difference. The tyre being replaced is a mud + snow tyre which really wont help at all.

Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a very nice 2004 Kia Sorento SX 2.5 diesel manual. All was fine until we noticed a slight juddering under load (heavy acceleration and pulling up hill). At first it felt like the engine was missing, but a fuel filter replacement did not help. I noticed OSR tyre was a bit low - once inflated to correct pressure the problem improved, but is not completely eradicated. I'm guessing the problem is transmission related - has anyone managed to fix this??

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Have a good look at the tyres for remaining tread depth and check all tyre pressures are set correctly. Pre 2009 should have the best tyres on the rear to avoid false triggering of the 4WD. Post 2009 should have the best tyres on the front.

If all is OK and the problem persists then this might be the becinning of the TOD problems - lots of threads on here about that so have a search in the Sorrento section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts