Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acquired an extremely annoying rattle a little while back. Definitely a "something on metal" sound. And enough of a nuisance - to me at least - that I spent the whole weekend trying to find out what it might be - but only at first checking the car interior. Sounded like it was coming from the back - maybe around the hatch or back seats so the obvious thing was to check the latch, alignment and stoppers and seats. All were perfect. After spending that whole weekend on and off failing to find the culprit, this morning I put the car up on ramps on the theory the sound was generated outside of the cabin and being transmitted inside of it.

Within two minutes under the car I found the culprit (confirmed with a later test drive). A large stone had somehow managed to lodge itself INSIDE the plastic fuel protector. Funny thing is the stone was the absolute biggest that could ever possibly have gotten inside there AND it would have had to orient itself only one particular 3 dimensional axis to even make it there. Makes me wonder how many other stones have "tried" and failed.

Anyway, removed the protector and removed the stone. Test drove and the noise has now gone. Only thing is the round clips used to secure it have to be renewed - they are just too difficult to get off with any normal tools including clip / trim tools. Maybe Kia have a "special tool" since trim tools and a Philips head did not work. At least they are only $2.50 each and Kia does not require you to buy the entire protector. And Australia has them in stock. I have bought 12 of them because where I live, crappy roads and gravel are constant companions so this certainly will not be the only time I am going to have to remove something from the protector.

Makes you wonder how well it protects though when a stone with a relatively sharp edge can get inside and run alongside the fuel lines every time the car is moving. I have actually informed Kia about this since I think it could potentially cause issues if it happens and is not diagnosed. I only noticed it myself because I am very attuned to extraneous noises and have the music down low.

Picture below.

Wood Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain Gas

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
582 Posts
Amazing job!
Well done for persevering and finding the culprit and the solution.
useful for future reference too.

Reactions: Cold Sausage

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interestingly, looking at the Rio service manual that portion of the underchassis is protected by undercovers from what I can tell. Though that may not be the case for all markets. But the Picanto is "naked" down there apart from the very front undercovers in front of the engine. I'm not quite sure why Kia only decide that about two feet of the fuel line run needs this particular protective cover - alot of it is not protected at all. Perhaps they think either front tyre kickup hits that area in particular or maybe it is because it is near the fuel tank part of the run and the exhaust at that point is within maybe 18 inches of it. It would be interesting to see all the cars in the Kia and Hyundai ranges and which ones have the lines exposed like the Picanto versus under covers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts