Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just on the brink of leasing a Niro phev 3, all finance arranged just need to confirm the go ahead with the leasing company, I unfortunately are in the high risk category ( Leukaemia) and haven’t even seen this model in the flesh, but it ticks all the boxes for us, and the owner reviews have really confirmed that we are making the right choice. I wonder if you good folk out there could answer a couple of questions, is the boot space big enough for a medium sized dog and are there still deals to be had with getting a charging point installed ?

·
Super Moderator
3,220 Posts
The last of our 3 Irish Red Setters died in October and we had planned to get another puppy this April and as I have a Stinger I bought a steeply sloping dog crate to go in the boot in readiness.

But then we took a 5 year old rescue female and there's no way she'll fit anywhere but in the back of the car.
So the moral is not to decide on your new car until you can actually see both car and dog together!

CiaraEating_DSC_1017.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The last of our 3 Irish Red Setters died in October and we had planned to get another puppy this April and as I have a Stinger I bought a steeply sloping dog crate to go in the boot in readiness.

But then we took a 5 year old rescue female and there's no way she'll fit anywhere but in the back of the car.
So the moral is not to decide on your new car until you can actually see both car and dog together!

View attachment 6818
Thank you for your response, I agree and in normal circumstances we would go look, and test drive etc, but due to Our particular circumstances We need to arrange a new car without the normal Procedures taking place, we do own a dog hammock that fits over front and rear Seat headrests, so if she has to go in the back she will not be sitting on the seats. Just not quite as convenient as in the boot space.

·
Super Moderator
3,220 Posts
Don't know where you live but if you can wait until 1st June the dealer showrooms should be open and I'm sure a dealer with a Niro would bring it round for you/another to put the dog in the boot so you could see/take a photo.
(I'm assuming the boot is likely to be the same in the phev 3 as the normal model?)

(I've got a rear seat dog protector I bought a number of years ago that fits round the front and rear headrests and means a dog can jump in/sit on the rear seats. It has a zip in the middle so one person can still use half the rear seat.
Think it came from Aldi but Halfords (still open as they sell bikes!) and similar should also stock them.)

PS Moving this thread to Niro forum!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't know where you live but if you can wait until 1st June the dealer showrooms should be open and I'm sure a dealer with a Niro would bring it round for you/another to put the dog in the boot so you could see/take a photo.
(I'm assuming the boot is likely to be the same in the phev 3 as the normal model?)

(I've got a rear seat dog protector I bought a number of years ago that fits round the front and rear headrests and means a dog can jump in/sit on the rear seats. It has a zip in the middle so one person can still use half the rear seat.
Think it came from Aldi but Halfords (still open as they sell bikes!) and similar should also stock them.)
Thank you, I also have one of those dog rear seat protectors, they are very useful, we used to have a Skoda, octavia saloon, so she used to go in it then, and being only the two of us will be in the car 80% of the time we also have the option to fold the rear seats down. The boot size on the Niro phev (371 litres) is slightly smaller than the normal Niro because of the battery positioning, and I can’t visualise sizes given in litres. I will contact A dealer as soon as they are open and see if they will drive one over for me to look at, I also have a neighbour who has a friend that has one and as soon as he is able he will drive over in it, so it might not be the same model but will give me a rough idea, i did see a photo on the web with a Dalmatian in a Niro boot, so all could be good. I have been told by many people that Kia’s are really good well built cars, so looking forward to owning one sometime in the future.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Niro. I can carry pallets in the boot. These are 1m wide and they will sit flat between the wheel arches. With the seat backs up there is probably 80cm from boot lid to the back of the seat at the base. They rake back so less room at the top. I don't own dogs but I reckon my mates Staffy would fit in easy with probably enough room for another. It is late now but I will happily run a tape measure over the boot tomorrow if you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your reply, would certainly be most useful if you have the time to take some measurements, is yours the phev ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Width: at it's widest point 105cm, narrowest 102cm (due to battery "bulge")
Height: 41cm from floor to top of seats/luggage compartment cover, 70cm to top of roof
Depth: 75cm from boot lip to back of seats at floor level, 45cm from top of seats to tailgate.

There's also a storage compartment under the boot floor for bits and bobs such as the tyre inflation kit, warning triangle and the charging cable, and a cubby hole in the back left corner.

So all in all, not huge, mainly due to the batteries under the boot floor. I think on the ordinary hybrid, as opposed to the PHEV, the batteries are smaller or placed elsewhere, so the space is higher.

I really like the car, very relaxing to drive, especially in city traffic, but have had little chance to really try it out for obvious reasons!

IMG_20200518_131542.jpg IMG_20200518_131549.jpg IMG_20200518_131555.jpg IMG_20200518_131605.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Width: at it's widest point 105cm, narrowest 102cm (due to battery "bulge")
Height: 41cm from floor to top of seats/luggage compartment cover, 70cm to top of roof
Depth: 75cm from boot lip to back of seats at floor level, 45cm from top of seats to tailgate.

There's also a storage compartment under the boot floor for bits and bobs such as the tyre inflation kit, warning triangle and the charging cable, and a cubby hole in the back left corner.

So all in all, not huge, mainly due to the batteries under the boot floor. I think on the ordinary hybrid, as opposed to the PHEV, the batteries are smaller or placed elsewhere, so the space is higher.

I really like the car, very relaxing to drive, especially in city traffic, but have had little chance to really try it out for obvious reasons!

View attachment 6842 View attachment 6843 View attachment 6844 View attachment 6845
Thank you so much for taking the time to do that, boot space will be perfectly suitable for our dog, I best go ahead and get a Niro on order then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I test drove an e-Niro in January. The salesman was happy for me to head home and try my dogs in the boot as I was concerned above it being smaller than my current Honda CR-V. I have a (large-50kg) Doberman & a Labrador. It was a bit of a squeeze for the Doberman when he was standing up, but good enough for both dogs sitting/lying in the boot as the width & depth are fine. As a package I was very impressed so went ahead & ordered the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I test drove an e-Niro in January. The salesman was happy for me to head home and try my dogs in the boot as I was concerned above it being smaller than my current Honda CR-V. I have a (large-50kg) Doberman & a Labrador. It was a bit of a squeeze for the Doberman when he was standing up, but good enough for both dogs sitting/lying in the boot as the width & depth are fine. As a package I was very impressed so went ahead & ordered the car.
Thanks for taking the time to reply the boot on the phev is slightly smaller than the e Niro because of where the batteries are situated but as my dog only weighs 20 kilo I think she will fit fine, she better as I have now ordered the car lol, but I can always fold the back seats down if needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts