Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old 03 Rio keeps building up a yellow/whitemess in the oil filler cap. It's not in the rocker cover, just inside the cap. I checked the two pipes on the rocker cover and they seemed clean.

I am hoping this is just because the car mainlyonly gets used to travel a few miles each day and it's not getting warm enough...but I'm worried it could be cylinder head trouble.

The coolant is clean and there doesn't seem to be any loss. Do I need to dig out the compression tester?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife runs a 52 plate Rio and I run an 04 plate. Both of them have a little 'mayo' inside the cap. None of them arelosing water or oil and I think it's just a characteristic of this engine (1.3). I think it's possibly caused by condensed air in the rocker getting oily and producing an emulsion.
I've stopped worrying about it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's good to know. The cap I suppose is the coolest part of the rocker cover and that's where any water would condense. Looks like it's another part of the maintenance schedule...tyres, washer fluid, oil, water, mayo...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Changing the oil seems to have reduced the mayo production significantly, though I still get a bit. Probably should change the oil every 5,000 miles instead of 10,000 when used for lots of short journeys.
The filler cap has a deep recess inside it which is likely to be significantly colder than inside the rocker cover, so allowing the condensation of water. I wonder if filling the inside of the cap with foam would solve the problem...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts