Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not wanting anyone to do anything ilegal...but just wondered if anyone had ever maxed out their Rio CRDi? In the spec it says 110 mph, but considering the power it has, that seems a bit low. I suppose it's more a case of it not having the gearing to go faster.

I got mine up to the ton on the Autobahn last month, but hadthe other halfin the car, so didn't want to push it (that's on the GPS, not the onboard speedo which is about 10% out at 100 mph).

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have heard that 110mph is about top whack out of these.

For my own experiences, I do not think the Rio diesel is a fast car, but by god does it get there quick for what it is.

I think the most enjoyable way to drive the Diesel Rio is to plod along the motorway at 70mph just enjoying life, then when needed to over take, just prod the right pedal at the right moment and catapult past.
80mph can come up surprisingly quick !

I think the Rio would be quite happy to do 100mph on the autobahn all day, day in day out.
If the Rio had a 6th gear then probably 120mph would be achievable but then since the dynamics of the car are wrong for faster speed, I would not be comfortable doing this sort of speed.

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
120mph easy with the tuning box on. In fact I have had the rev limiter kick in in top gear as it hit the red line. I have only done this speed a couple of times. If I want to do mad speeds I take the bike out.
Edited by: davy

·
Registered
328 Posts
oh dear 120mph must be really scary in the Rio.

Saying that my previous car (Astra 1.6l sxi) had dangerously light steering at this speed.
I.e. the steering became lighter as speed increased.
One slight twitch of the steering wheel and I was in the next lane.

I once had to brake really hard once on the motorway in the Rio as some idiot pulled out in front of me.
the ABS kicked in but braking from 70mph to 20mph really was scary as the back end started to wobble.
Very unnerving.

I would Hate that to happen at 120mph

Edited by: diddy1234

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
No not scary its quite stable but I have 195/55/15 tyres rather than the 175/70/14. I found the car handles a lot better with the 195s. With the 175s it felt like they were pealing off the rims when cornering fast so I purchased a set of brand new Rio alloys off ebay and fitted the 195/55/15 to give the same speedo reading as the skinny originals

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 195s are good, although it still feels very twitchy at high speed. I would not like to have 175s on this car!! However, fuel economy would be better with the narrower tyres.

The car is very camber sensitive and also lurches dramatically with rapid changes in direction. I think the anti roll bar is not stiff enough.

This means it's a poor car for cornering, not because it can't, but it gives the driver a poor feel of the road and makes you think there is no grip when there is plenty. It reminds me of driving on ice. The Hankook 195s do grip well. I've tried putting on max revs in the wet on a roundabout and the front end did not slide out. I've learned to turn into bends far farlater than I normally would. The steering is great for town driving, but not for country roads.

The other gripe I have about the handling is when you are in a bend and hit a pot hole or a rut in the road, the back end moves sideways suddenly. I've never had the back end break away, but it's a bit un-nerving whenthis movementhappens unexpectedly. I think this is due to the trailing arm bushes being too soft.

I have to say it, I think in terms of handling, the old 2003 to 2005 Rio (which has 175 tyres - although 65 profile, not 70) is better than the 2005 on Rio.

Davy, was that 120 mph indicated on the speedo, or by GPS? My speedo is about 5 mph out at 70 and this gets worrse as you go faster. At 100 I think it was 10 mph out.

The red line starts at 4500 rpm, but in my Rio you can feel the acceleration dropping off once you get past 4200. When you had the box running, was that still at it's lowest setting?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
M4trundler. I do agree with you on the handling, its not the best probably due to not being independent on the rear. There is also alot of nose weight 860kg inc driver so the car isn't balanced too well. I think if it were lowered and heavier anti roll bars it would certainly handle better. You do get used to it and know what its limits are.
It was reading just about 123mph when it was at the limit and that was speedo reading. The tuning box was set at one turn up from the original factory setting.
If you have the car in 5th gear and drop the revs down to 1000rpm and read the speed then that will give you your mph per 1000revs. I cant remember what it does off hand but the speedo is usually more accurate at the lower speeds. That way you can work out the speed at say 4000revs and see the speedo error. Tho' the easiest way is by GPS or sat nav.
I still say it was stable at 120 and didn't cause me any concern.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think that's about right.

Something like 360kgs at the rear wheels would work out right for 1220kgs

Regarding your tyres, I bet the Rio handles better with those tyres on.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The tyres are Falken ZE912 and I find them good in both wet and dry conditions but they still spin up if you give it some welly.
My weight being 95kg plus the 1220kg so 1315kg tops. That would give round about 460kg on the back. I will weigh the car the next time I have it in work. But it is very nose heavy the car.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'll be putting the winter tyres on next week. They're 185/65s as it's difficult to get winter tyres with low profiles. Hopefully won't affect the fuel economy too much...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes I had a look at them. The cheapest I found for the tyres I wanted was Camskill and I got a cheap set of alloys from Rochford.

NowI need to get the tyresfitted on the wheels and balancedso I can use them.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I paid £200 supplied and fitted inc balance at my local tyre depot. Which is a good price I thought.
Camskill are doing them for £175 inc P&P but I still need to get them fitted and balanced.
Edited by: davy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts