Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 GDi Level 3
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up my new Kia Sportage a couple of weeks ago I did ask generally about map upgrades and I believe I was told that there was an annual charge. I have now noticed on the Kia Website a webpage that states....
Enjoy the 7-year map update As part of our quality promise, each new Kia factory-fitted with an LG navigation device is entitled to six free annual map updates*. A unique offer that ensures your navigation system is always up-to-date.

I have emailed Kia Customer Care to see if this applies to my car, but has anyone else noticed this or knows if (now) Kia is offering this for new purchases?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Normally, in the UK, there is a (reasonable) charge of £40 - increased this year from £25. It maybe that there is a current offer in place for new customers or you are not looking at a UK website as I believe Kia in the EU do offer some free updates AND customers can install them themselves.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
There will be people on here who disagree with what I am about to say, but in for a penny etc.
This may sound like I am being pedantic, and maybe I am, but the map and software updates are free. What you are paying for is the dealers time for doing the update. And the fee is supposed to be £40. The official Kia updates are usually released in the second quarter of the year (April to June), but that was delayed last year until the September.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Moved to KCS section to let them comment.

But agree with above. The update is free, you just pay for the dealers labour.

But do wonder how many update after year 6?

Anyone got a link to the page that says Free updates?

But from experience even the annual updates are out of date compared to google maps.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
Kia Sportage 1.6 GDi Level 3
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received a very quick reply from Kia Customer Services.. They said (as mentioned in several of the comments on this post) Quote "The 7 year mapcare programme applies only in some other European regions and is built into the retail cost of new cars. The website you've seen would have originated outside the UK. Here, map updates are additional product enhancements and whilst maps are provided free, dealers can charge for their workshop time for installation." Unquote
It cannot be that difficult to download a map upgrade. In fact, I believe that I may have seen a YouTube video showing how it is done.
Does anyone know how to find the Map Updates from Kia?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Does anyone know how to find the Map Updates from Kia?
You won't find an official Kia link. If you search this forum there are a couple of posts that give instructions and pointers on where to download the necessary files. These are all unofficial so following those instructions may well result in a sucessful update or bricking your Nav unit.

The anual update addresses map data AND system firmware/functional updates, I dont think there are any map only updates as the map data has to match the system firmware changes.

TBH the £40 charge is very reasonable so why risk bricking your unit and invalidating your warranty? (and I say that as a computer and electronics geek who is always tampering where others may fear to tread LOL)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts