Kia Owners Club Forum banner

201 - 220 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nico_GT said:
Thanks for reply. I do let the car heat up and cool down etc I had a focus st previously so understand the importance of turbos etc. Car has only done about 400 mile. On a 2 hour drive last week it didn't go above 80kpa at all during the drive. Just wondering if I have a issue or just needs more time to run in
No problem. There are more knowledgeable people than me that can probably confirm/ offer more insight on here. However, it may just be that the car needs another few miles on it.....

Hope you're enjoying the car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The car will not boost more the 80 regardless of sensor, warm day warm car right gear and revs will see you tickle 85.The garage will not change it under warranty.

The sensor will make it pull away smoother and help with few flat spots it does not increase power by nay measurable amount :)

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
I have the new sensor and the car has done over 10000 miles and is about 3½ years old.

Last time I checked the boost never got above 90 although the power goes to the top.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm just wondering cause I have seen a few videos online and it looks like there gauge goes all the way up. Obv not sure if it's remapped in the videos. Just hearing from different people about it going all way up and some stopping at 80 so just unsure lol

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just for info (although seems obvious) - 80kpa is marked, 160kpa is marked. The line in between is 120kpa.

120kpa is 1.2 bar.

As long as the car feels like it should then there shouldn't be a problem I suppose.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nico_GT said:
Mine defo dosent go above 80 hopefully just need run in

0.8 bar of boost on 1.6L Gamma engine is spot on, as said it may loosen up with some miles on and the weather will have impact. 80-90 is exactly where it should be

Also if your looking for boost in the 0.9 region you should be looking at the road

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
boost is not limited by the gear you are in.. there are actually a lot of limiters built in to the Ecu... but none are based on the gear.. if your car is stock.. than the car has apeak boost is 19lbs.. and a hold boost 14.5 lbs.. now if there is wheel slip the air temp is too hot or too cold. oil temp is too hot or cold the water temp is too hot or cold.. and a few outher matters.. like wheel angle and even EGR temp.. all can effect how much power you get... its all set up to keep.. the motor alive.. if a granny or anoob kid just hammers this car.. Hyundai/ kiatunedthis motor for emissions targets and fuel economy. to over come the performance issues.. you need tune.. to get rideof the boost cuts.. and fuel issues.. the Map sensor update. is the first step in dealing with the factory tune issues... a good intake, 60mm throttle body, down pipe.. and upgraded intercooler and boost pipes take care if the physical restrictions..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Some people are talking about this topic in a Facebook group right now:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/533275903512710/permalink/845860502254247/

Someone there is suggesting that replacing this MAP sensor part without also updating the ECU map can cause some damage. Here are his comments so far:

"I've heard from an inside source that if you dont put the updated ecu map on it makes your car run lean and can cause damage."

"Someone on this group who won't be named works for Kia and after talking to a Kia master tech sold his new map sensor on due to that info he was given"

I know lots of people here have replaced this part themselves without touching the ECU. I got mine fitted by my dealer and they didn't mention the ECU either. So could anyone please comment on whether this is a genuine risk or not? Do we all need to worry about this new MAP sensor now?!

·
Registered
235 Posts
It seems improbable but I'm no expert. I suppose I can only go with my actual driving experience with the different sensors and it's all positive as you all know.

I'm sure I seen a screen grab of an email from Kia on this thread too which indicated that changing parts with OEM ones was ok.

My cars due its 3rd service and 1st MOT next week so will update if any things flagged up but I honestly can't see it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
This whole map sensor thing is becoming really boring.
If Ian has had the sensor ordered and fitted by his Kia dealer why on earth are people still worrying about it.
If they were In the path of hurricane Irma as are friends of mine they might then have something to really worry about

·
Registered
266 Posts
That's what I was getting at. A service is a service that's it. I think some people think this sensor is top secret stuff that if anyone finds out will bring the world crashing down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rogpic3 said:
Page 18 of this thread, 6 posts down. Kia approval in black and white
Thanks Roger. Just to be clear, I know it's not a warranty problem and I'm not worrying about that aspect at all. I don't expect the new part to be detected during service or questioned by the dealers or anything like that! I'm only interested in this suggestion that fitting the new sensor without changing the ECU map can cause the engine to run lean. That's all I was interested in as I hadn't heard that mentioned before, I didn't mean to open up any old wounds/discussions!

201 - 220 of 253 Posts