Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

just a little fyi for the 1.6t gamma guys. Kia has been slowly updating and replacing parts on our cars to fix some factory issues.. one of the latest has to do with MAP sensor replacement and new ECU re flash.. it seems when you take your car in for service here in the states kiais updates the Ecu software and replacing the Map sensor..this seem to be fixing a lot of drivability issues.. with throttle tip in that dip in power that we have found in alldyno runs from thegamma 1.6t. At (4500rpm)either in theVeloster, Optima 1.6 and a few state sideSUV that both kia and Hyundaiput thismotor into.. so it seems Kiais now putting the Map sensor from theOptima ( k5)2.0 Turbo..the new sensor seems to have a better dynamic range and is able to readboost and vacuum more accurately than the old sensor. its seems that when kia fist developed the motor for the velosterit was only rated at 180 hp.. and so the small intercooler and intake andturbo and supporting cooling and oiling system were alldeveloped for that18- HP rating.. well where the car was being induced to the states and The EU..the added weight ofthe us spec bumpers andheaver seats needs to support the air bags made the car no faster than base motor.. so Hyundai.. turned up the power buyremapping the ecu to allow for short command boost levelsof 18 to 19lbs. with sustained boost levels of 10 to 14 pounds.. the mapsensor andwith this new higher boost levelseems to be at the top end of its usable range.. and sometimes default to a closed map sensor.. itswhy the 204HP gamma 1.6tis soo heat sensitive both hot andcold.. and boost seems to be cut a lot. even in normaldriving..
The NewUSElantraSport turbohitting the market.. it seemsall these updates have be incorporated in to the new motor.. bigger intercooler.. larger turbo and the New Map sensor and ecu reflash.. we have actually dyno tested the new 204HPElantra sport and found it actually make a lot moreHp to the wheels.. its makes about 190HP to thewheels wile our cars rated at the same hp level make about 160 to 170.. so Hyundai is under rating the motors.. now..
so Long story short.. you can getthe better power curve with the map sensor update.. we have foundabout a 10 hp gain.. and better overall throttle control andpower curvewith this part..its about 30 to 70 usdollars.. comesstraight form the kia parts counter.. all you have to do is take the old part out put the new one in.. disconnect your negativebattery cablefor about 10 minuets.. put it back on.. now here is the how the computer learns the new part..( this should also be down with any newaftermarket performance part on this platform) get in the car make shure all the doors are closed the windows are up andlights radio are off.. hit the start button but don't depress the clutch just let the gages sweep and yourdummiy lights turn off.. some willstay lit.. wait about 2 minuetsthen car off and restart itwith the clutch depressed like normal.. let itidle down.. and youshould have abetter running car.. with a little more power and just a better driving experience..

photo of the part and part numbersEdited by: Us Forte turbo

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ordered one today. I'll post my thoughts once it's here and fitted. It definetly makes sense in many ways - I mean, we know the turbo needs time to heat up etc but the generally speaking, power delivery can be a little inconsistent at times. That is probably my ONLY criticism with this car tbh.

Edited by: Crocoman

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi,

just looking for a service package for my car (kia/arnold clark seem to be trying to tell me i need a more expensive service than their website suggests! but thats another story!)

But I got this message looking on the kia website, any idea what the service action is? could it be related to this?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here is a link to forte Turbo.. so you can see what some of our members are talking about with this replacement.. it was actually spear headed by a member that would not take no form an answer form KIA .. I know making any change to your car is a bit overwhelming.. a lot of user have had success with this replacement.. but as always do what feels rite.. I know over the years Kia and Hyundai have been lees that forthright with correctingerrors.. I have been actually been running that update for about a month now with no issues and it works great.. but a car is a big investment.. so follow the link for more people doing this upgrade..
http://www.forteturbo.org/forum/19-kia-forte-turbo-performance/2361-map-sensor-update.html

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ok, so the new sensor arrived this morning and I've fitted it already. Just idled the car and everything sounds fine. Will be going out later for a while so will report back on any differences I can tell. I didn't disconnect the battery - I popped the bonnet, locked the car then left the key back in the house - waited 15 minutes and went ahead and fitted it then. It's the way the tuning companies say you do it when fitting their kits. I followed the instructions though re : turning car on (without actually starting engine), leaving it a few
Minutes etc.

Which brings me to the next point - the tuning box I have is connected through the MAP sensor (and the Turbo one) so that's interesting. Anyway, slight bit of oil on the old sensor but reading the Forte forum and that's normal

Will report back later or tomorrow....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bet you will find a crisper throttle application and the car will just pull better through the rev range.. ill be the first to tell you my car didn't feel faster.. but it just had a crisper pull.. rite off the bat.. something my car never had even when it was factory fresh..
" its interesting that the only tuning solution for your proceed guys is some form of tuning box.. and not a direct ECU reflash.." all the tuners here in the states say stay away form the add on boxes.. and just go ecu flash.. we actually have one tuner that' has built in launch control and lift off pops and burbles programed in to the exhaust overrun.. like a wrc car

Edited by: Us Forte turbo

·
Registered
493 Posts
Crocoman said:
Ok, so the new sensor arrived this morning and I've fitted it already. Just idled the car and everything sounds fine. Will be going out later for a while so will report back on any differences I can tell. I didn't disconnect the battery - I popped the bonnet, locked the car then left the key back in the house - waited 15 minutes and went ahead and fitted it then. It's the way the tuning companies say you do it when fitting their kits. I followed the instructions though re : turning car on (without actually starting engine), leaving it a few
Minutes etc.

Which brings me to the next point - the tuning box I have is connected through the MAP sensor (and the Turbo one) so that's interesting. Anyway, slight bit of oil on the old sensor but reading the Forte forum and that's normal

Will report back later or tomorrow....
Very interested to know what it's like!

·
Registered
235 Posts
First of all, thank you to US Forte Turbo for bringing really good knowledge and experiences of modding and cars in general. I usually rely on my older brother for that and he always gives me his approval when I have any thoughts about any diy jobs in relation to the GT.

Anyway, have done probably over 100 miles since yesterday, with the new MAP sensor and wow, is how I'll sum it up! It's 100% ironed out the hesitating the car done particularly low down the range. Done some testing of sitting in 2nd gear in traffic and just seeing if it was smoother (and didn't stall!) and I feel it was as it should be. I know low end torque has been an issue.

The delivery of power through the range just seems as it should be and I'm really pleased with results.

On a side note - my first journey last night I actually took the old sensor with torque wrench in the car just I n case I broke down!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Search on google for the serial number 39300 84400.got mine on order today from Herko international on ebay. Cost 69 pound when converted from dollars.checked mine on car and it is a different serial number.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yeah, that's how I found mine. Just googled it and got it off eBay. It will be good to hear what othe peoples thoughts are with the new one....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crocoman said:
First of all, thank you to US Forte Turbo for bringing really good knowledge and experiences of modding and cars in general. I usually rely on my older brother for that and he always gives me his approval when I have any thoughts about any diy jobs in relation to the GT.

Anyway, have done probably over 100 miles since yesterday, with the new MAP sensor and wow, is how I'll sum it up! It's 100% ironed out the hesitating the car done particularly low down the range. Done some testing of sitting in 2nd gear in traffic and just seeing if it was smoother (and didn't stall!) and I feel it was as it should be. I know low end torque has been an issue.

The delivery of power through the range just seems as it should be and I'm really pleased with results.

On a side note - my first journey last night I actually took the old sensor with torque wrench in the car just I n case I broke down!!

I'mvery happy you guysare have success with this part... if you know any one with a Veloster turbo.. or any kia running our 1.6 turbo gas motor.. let them in on it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My 2p's worth;

Fitted today and did the same procedure as above. Left ignition on for a few mins before starting the engine.
Car definitely feels smoother and easier to drive. The hesitation on part throttle seems to have disappeared but I'll give it a proper test in the morning on the drive to work to be sure.

Gets a thumbs up from me!

1 - 20 of 257 Posts