Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the MAP Sensor thread with interest. My late 2017 GT has the 39300-2G000 on it. I've been disappointed with the oomph of the car compared to my previous Fiesta ST and our 200 bhp Astra K. So much so that during lockdown I have added the basic Race Chip S and a Jetex filter (about £200 in all) as well as filling up with Tesco Momentum 99 and some new Pilot 3 front tyres. What a transformation! The car is fun at last. I've done about 800 miles over the last couple of weekends. Throughly enjoying the fast A and B roads around the South Downs, plenty of grunt and returned 35mpg. (Struggled to beat 30 previously.)

Questions therefore are - is there any further improvement to be gained by swapping to the 39300 84400 MAP Filter if I am already using a tuning box? New genuine Kia part is £70ish, a used one £25. Anyone else running similar mods? New v used - at £25 worth a punt?

Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interesting...what is the boost reading on your car now, as far I have seen and read most are just above 80kpa as stock.

What has always been a bit confusing is the torque gauge it reads to 300nm which is 221lb/ft but the stated torque from Kia is 265nm or 195lb/ft, my car hits 300nm easily so is the gauge an accurate reading or just for show...same with the boost gauge..???

I'am tempted to connect a pressure gauge up to the car and take an actual reading v's the electronics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldn't be using any el cheapo tuning box to be honest, get it a proper remap with dyno print out. And the Jetex filter does nothing other than a very very slight increase in noise, I still have one upstairs lol, I replaced mine with a proper CAI and noticed an increase in MPG and the engine revs more freely, and massive turbo intake noise "if you like that"
As for the MAP sensor, I haven't changed mine yet either as the car drives fine without the updated version, I'm not sure how it could benefit me.
Some have reported an improvement with the updated sensor though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting...what is the boost reading on your car now, as far I have seen and read most are just above 80kpa as stock.

What has always been a bit confusing is the torque gauge it reads to 300nm which is 221lb/ft but the stated torque from Kia is 265nm or 195lb/ft, my car hits 300nm easily so is the gauge an accurate reading or just for show...same with the boost gauge..???

I'am tempted to connect a pressure gauge up to the car and take an actual reading v's the electronics.
Both gauges still read the same. I think they are as fake as the sound produced by pressing the GT button

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't be using any el cheapo tuning box to be honest, get it a proper remap with dyno print out. And the Jetex filter does nothing other than a very very slight increase in noise, I still have one upstairs lol, I replaced mine with a proper CAI and noticed an increase in MPG and the engine revs more freely, and massive turbo intake noise "if you like that"
As for the MAP sensor, I haven't changed mine yet either as the car drives fine without the updated version, I'm not sure how it could benefit me.
Some have reported an improvement with the updated sensor though.
I know there are varied opinions re tuning boxes and I did think long and hard before buying one, but it was either a small outlay of £159 (which I can still return) or loosing several thousands trading the car on to get something less disappointing. Living day to day with a car is never like the test run. In it's current state I can live with it a little longer.

So returning to the original question has anyone done a MAP change with theier tuning box?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts