Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Optima Sportswagon was delivered this morning and I am going through the manual to understand stuff. Seeing as there are 3 trim levels (so I believe), I am sick of reading about a system which is described “if equipped “, surely they could have stated, 2; 3; or GT-line, etc.
I keep reading about an option, then having to run out, get in the car and find out that I don’t have it!!!
Can anyone tell me if my map is the latest update and if not how I can get it and is it free? The car is 2018.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
553 Posts
Welcome to the forum Philip!

I think the thing with the manual is fairly common, if infuriating. It means they can cover all markets which will have different trims and not have worry about having to individually translate all of them. Specs can change quickly and it will preserve the life on the handbook. The take away lesson from this is always buy the top spec model... ;)

You should be able to press and hold the cog button (I think that is right) to reveal the version of your car's software, including the maps. This thread is about map updates from KIA Customer Support which should identify the latest available version. The map update is free, but a KIA dealer will charge you for the workshop time; about £40 iirc, but as part of a routine service they may reduce or even drop this charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Thanks for the reply, I must admit when I first saw the manual I thought ’what a great doorstop’!
So I guess you just don’t go online and download to the SD card or a USB stick updated maps? Previous car was a Captur.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
553 Posts
So I guess you just don’t go online and download to the SD card or a USB stick updated maps? Previous car was a Captur.
I think everyone but UK residents can do it themselves, don't ask me why. There is a website (it might even mention it on your car's info screen) but I believe it doesn't support UK mapping.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome to the forum Philip!

I think the thing with the manual is fairly common, if infuriating. It means they can cover all markets which will have different trims and not have worry about having to individually translate all of them. Specs can change quickly and it will preserve the life on the handbook. The take away lesson from this is always buy the top spec model... ;)

You should be able to press and hold the cog button (I think that is right) to reveal the version of your car's software, including the maps. This thread is about map updates from KIA Customer Support which should identify the latest available version. The map update is free, but a KIA dealer will charge you for the workshop time; about £40 iirc, but as part of a routine service they may reduce or even drop this charge.
I have just paid over £330.00 for a major service and still had to pay £40.00 on top of that for the sat nav update, but as I mentioned in another post I wish I had saved my cash as the update isn't worth bothering with as the screen colour is now dreadful. I will continue to use my dash placed Tom Tom.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Let;s be honest car manuals are pretty crap across all brands. The only way to find out what happens is to press the buttons and see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts