Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm a newbie so hello to everyone.

I have a '56 Sorento with manual gearbox. I bought the car at 6 months old and have been very pleased with it until now. In August we went camping with the Sorento and during the 2nd week a vibration started at about 45 mph. We realised that the vibration only happened in 5th gear and that speed wasn't relevant (we initially thought it was our roofbox causing it).

As we weredue to returnhome the following day I avoided using 5th gear and took it straight into the garage I use for servicing. They emtied the gearbox oil and found 2 pieces of broken teeth in the sump. We are not aware of any occassions of 'crunching' and certainly not in 5th gear.

Has anyone come across this before as we are having problems re warranty and repair. The car has done 50,000 miles.

Any info would be appreciated,

Cheers,

Edited by: Foster Dad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to fill this story out a bit more.........

The problem with the gearbox happened a matter of days before the warranty ran out. I took the car into my local Kia dealership on the Saturday morning (the warranty ran out the following Monday), I saw a chap in the service department and showed him the broken teeth and explained that the warranty was due to run out in a few days and that I was not going to be able to bring the car in on the Monday due to a family funeral. he said that I should come back the following week and see the chap who dealt with warranty claims.

I went back first thing on Tuesday morning and was told with a smirk that the warranty had run out at midnight and that I would have to pay for the gearbox to be stripped and then hope that Kia woulld look kindly on me and possibly make a gesture towards the repair. I said that was unacceptable explained about my reporting of the problem prior to the warranty running out, but the agent refused to acknowledge that fact, even though the chap I spoke to on the Saturday agreed that I had been in, spoken to him about it,and showed him the broken teeth. It was obvious that I wasn't going to get anywhere with them and so eventually I left as they continually refused to acknowledge that I had reported the problem before the end of the warranty. Their whole attitude was ''tough s**t'' When I said that I would be writing to the directors of the agency and Kia customer service I was told I could do what I liked and the man walked out of the departmment and left me standing there.

I wrote a letter outlining what had happened to Kia customer service some weeks ago and have so far had no acknowledgment of my letter or any reply. This is my second Kia ( I had a Sportage previously) and to be honest I have never had a problem with either vehicle until now.

Is this normal? I am feeling very let down and rather cheated by Kia at the moment and if this is typical of the customer service then I won't be having a Kia ever again.
Edited by: Foster Dad

·
Registered
887 Posts
Kia warranty tends to be VERY good, seems you have an arse for a dealer however.

If you had got a job card raised dated prior to end of warranty, i.e on that saturday, your case would be cast iron, swift and easy warranty repair.
There is a facility for a dealer to request goodwill, however for this to be looked upon, you will need to have a solid KIA dealer history, 100% goodwill payments won't get through without a KIA dealer history, no dealer history, and you are in the gods of kia cs to offer what they will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply: The car was serviced at a kia dealer and a hyundai approved service garage. The dealer I visited refused to accept that I had reported it before the warranty ran out because, as he said, he wasn't there. My argument is that there was a service department employee there. I can't be blamed because the one man who can raise the job card isn't there. I'm dismayed that Kia haven't even bothered to write back to me.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Anyone in service dept can raise the job card, I too am appalled kia cs have not had the decency to even reply!
Have you tried calling them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts