Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Manual Gearbox 1999 Sportage Problems

9K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  AlfA01 
#1 ·
Hello!

I started experiencing some problems with my manual gearbox yesterday on a road trip. At first, the gearbox was a bit noisy and sounded like the gears were dragging a bit. I was traveling at about 100km per hour in 5th gear and suddenly a loud hammering noise started to happen. After that, I couldn't shift into 5th or it would grind, make a lot of noise and throw the shifter out of gear. I continued traveling until the nest roadside stop and topped off the transmission oil. It was not apparently low, not was there any need of service. I continued on my journey very slowly until I arrived home.

Other symptoms: when the engine is idling and the transmission is in neutral, a hammering and rattling noise is present. When I depress the clutch, it goes away and returns as the car starts moving. It grows in intensity with speed. I don't seem to have any problems with reverse.

I am curious what can be causing the noise. Did I lose 5th gear and need to replace/rebuild the tranny?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.