Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,having looked at at a similar problem on this forumwith the malfunction light I amsuffering the same problem with my 2006 CRDi Sportage (25000 Miles).The differance being that it only comes on when towing my caravan sometimes after only 10 miles or up to 80 miles into my trip.
The indicator light will flash for approx 2 to 5 mins during which there is a loss of power this appears to occur when on an incline or when I call for extra power to pull out to overtake at an intersection etc. This situation however does not prevent me from completing 200 to 300 mile trips the indicator light staying on but not flashing until the next day when driving solo it will go out and not return until towing my caravan again.

Taken to local KIA garage who checkedout during aserviceand reported that it was a Turbo UnderBoost Problem and told me to keep an eye on it?

Have since returned to the garage for advice, have mentioned the EGR valve which they think unlikely they say it could be the "Control Boost Solenoid Valve" or a leak on turbo pipework .

Sorry but it appears they have no idea I don't like the idea of trial and error at £300 to £400 a time has anyone anyone had a similar problem.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi MikeP
If its showing a MIL then it should be logging a code of the fault, would be helpfull if you know the fault code.

Bob.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bob
Thanks for the reply my last service bill receipt states that they found a fault code P0299 Turbocharger Under Boost Present, Erased Code And Roadtested, All OK AT Present !!

MIKE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Murphwiz
Thanks for your reply the two services that I have had (3rd & 4th year) since owning the car there is no mention of fuel filters being changed only Fuel system cleaner being usedon each service!

I have no knowledge of what was covered in the two previous services?

MIKE.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi MikeP
Maybe worth having the fuel filter changed, make sure its a KIA one, been reports of persons having problems using none KIA filters.

Bob.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a 56 sportage xs with the same problem i have not been towed a caraven but the ecs light came on and there was a sudden lack of power last year I had to have the turbo renewed as it packed in only 2weeks out of warrenty
so I thought it was that again so I took it to the dealer who put it on the diagnostics and I have had to have the EGR replaced at a cost of 280 now a week later the light has come on again only this time there is no lack of powerso back to the dealers again tomorrow and bet there is another 300 or so to fork out

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Kenny we have not heard any more from Mike P, not sure if he has cured his problem?

If your MIL engine light comes on and stay's on the engine management system will have put the enginein limp mode, which are settings for the engine to run safely for a short time.
It will have logged a fault code in your ECU which you need to let us know so we can at least point you in the possible problem area?

Bob

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had the light come on going up hill...it flashed, then stopped flashing at which point I had a lot more power. After some driving it went out. A week later it came on again...in exactly the same spot!...and repeated the cycle but this time stayed on. I took it to the garage....after 20 minutes the service manager called my through to the workshop...the 2 mechanics were in fits of laughter. They'd removed the plastic engine cover and the insulation under it had been shreded...by a mouse. The same mouse had started to eat the turbo control cable....£52 later the problem was fixed with a bit of insulating tape (the bill was all for labour of course).

I installed a battery powered sonic alarm under the bonnet. Several days later I headed down the driveway and washed the screen.....no fluid but I could hear the pump. Bonnet up....water dripping out of the under bonnet insulation.....yes, the mouse had eaten the washer pipes. I removed the bonnet insulation to repair the pipe and decided to leave it off as it clearly was too tempting...I then spotted a nose poking out of a hole in the bonnet reinforcing...a quick touch with the pressure washer evicted 3 of the little bu**ers. I removed the engine cover to find more chew marks. Anyway, the vulnerable wiring is repaired and armoured with fine wire mesh. All insulation has been removed. As well as the sonic alarm, a bait tray goes under the bonnet overnight. Dead mice litter the landscape! But if this is bad. one of them ate it's way through the hard plastic brake fluid reservoir on the wife's Panda!

I suspect the loss of power with the ECU light mentioned above is a poor wiring connection...hopefully not cause by a wee timorous beestie!

Richard

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am having a strange problem with my indicators, I have a 2004 sorento auto fitted with 13 pin towing electrics, some mornings the indicators dont work, the hazards are fine. After about 6-8 miles they start to work again. At first it was just the offside that didn't work, now it is both sides. I am thinking it might be the towing electrics, maybe the socket, otherwise it might be the switch.
Has anyone else had a similar fault, The towing electrics are about 5 years old, when the 13 pinsocket was fitted

1 - 10 of 10 Posts