Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm enjoying what very limited driving I'm getting in my new 2020 XCeed 1.4T GDI 3 DCT, but have a few questions, and was wondering if anyone could help with some answers.

1. I notice that the First Edition models have aluminium brake and accelerator pedals.
Are these pedal covers that can be replaced rather than a full pedal with an aluminium moulded end plate?
I ask because my Xceed 3 has the standard rubber-only pedals and I prefer the look and feel of the aluminium type.
I also wonder if there's left-foot footrest that's been made for automatic transmission models that matches the aluminium type pedals?

2. Do the First Edition models have LED fog lights, or are they fitted with halogen lamps?
My car has halogen bulbs.
I find that having bright white LED side/headlights but the warm yellow glow of halogen fog lights is not asthetically great and would be happy to change the bulbs or full units if it's something that is standard on the First Edition.

3. Similar question regarding the rear licence plate lamps.
Does the First Edition have LED licence plate lamps or are they standard halogen?

4. Has anyone had a rear-facing dash cam fitted?
I have a 2 channel Thinkware F100 front camera fitted (not the best or most practicle I know) and wonder excatly where the rear-facing camera would be located on the rear screen and how the cabling has been routed between the rear camera and the headliner, so if anyone has a rear dashcam fiited, the pictures and/or description of where it's fitted and the cable routing it would be very welcome.

With the first 3 questions I'm not really looking for cheap ebay-type purchases. It more about fitting OE equipment if it's currently used elsewhere in other models.

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all,

I'm enjoying what very limited driving I'm getting in my new 2020 XCeed 1.4T GDI 3 DCT, but have a few questions, and was wondering if anyone could help with some answers.

1. I notice that the First Edition models have aluminium brake and accelerator pedals.
Are these pedal covers that can be replaced rather than a full pedal with an aluminium moulded end plate?
I ask because my Xceed 3 has the standard rubber-only pedals and I prefer the look and feel of the aluminium type.
I also wonder if there's left-foot footrest that's been made for automatic transmission models that matches the aluminium type pedals?

2. Do the First Edition models have LED fog lights, or are they fitted with halogen lamps?
I find that having bright white LED side/headlights but the warm yellow glow of halogen fog lights is not asthetically great and would be happy to change the bulbs or full units if it's something that is standard on the First Edition.

Does the First Edition have LED licence plate lamps or are they standard halogen?

I have a 2 channel Thinkware F100 front camera fitted (not the best or most practicle I know) and wonder excatly where the rear-facing camera would be located on the rear screen and how the cabling has been routed between the rear camera and the headliner, so if anyone has a rear dashcam fiited, the pictures and/or description of where it's fitted and the cable routing it would be very welcome.

With the first 3 questions I'm not really looking for cheap ebay-type purchases. It more about fitting OE equipment if it's currently used elsewhere in other models.

Cheers
Jeff
Hello all,

Cheers
Jeff
Hi Jeff, regarding Question 4, I installed on Saturday a Nextbase rear facing camera that attaches to my Nextbase 522GW. The wire to the back runs through the door seal and headliner trim down the passenger side to the rear. I will post a couple of pictures tomorrow as to where I placed the camera on the rear window and how to get the wire there. It was actually a lot easier than I expected and probably only took about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Jeff, regarding Question 4, I installed on Saturday a Nextbase rear facing camera that attaches to my Nextbase 522GW. The wire to the back runs through the door seal and headliner trim down the passenger side to the rear. I will post a couple of pictures tomorrow as to where I placed the camera on the rear window and how to get the wire there. It was actually a lot easier than I expected and probably only took about 30 minutes.
I was wondering about adding the wireless charging option that the First Edition has. Looked into that by any chance?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hello all,

Cheers
Jeff
In my first edition the fog lamps are halogen as are the licence plate bulbs
I changed the license plate bulbs for LED & the boot light too

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was wondering about adding the wireless charging option that the First Edition has. Looked into that by any chance?
I've not looked into that option yet but it does interest me too, although I expect it's not a cheap option to add if you want to go the OE route.
The dealer I purchased from is in Loughborough and very helpful so I'll pose the question next time I chat with them.

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've not looked into that option yet but it does interest me too, although I expect it's not a cheap option to add if you want to go the OE route.
The dealer I purchased from is in Loughborough and very helpful so I'll pose the question next time I chat with them.

Cheers
Jeff
Yes, I would be very interested to hear what they have to say. Especially as Kia is apparently going to be adding wireless Apple CarPlay later this year. Being able to wirelessly charge as well would be nice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my first edition the fog lamps are halogen as are the licence plate bulbs
I changed the license plate bulbs for LED & the boot light too
Thanks for the reply.
It does seem that all Xceed trim levels have projector halogen front fogs - it looks odd and out of place to me, but in reality as they are only used in fog it's just the appearance if taking pictures that I notice it.
Considering the new MOT lighting legislation for retro-fit LED headlights and the possible infraction of a ruling, not to mention the beam cut-off possibly being incorrect with a different lamp fitted into the light unit, I think I'll just have to cope with my OCD.
If anyone can offer any guidance on legality and/or suitability of LED bulbs in front fog lamps I'd be pleased to read their thoughts.

I've had quite poor results in the past with LED festoon bulbs for licence plates as they don't seem to fair well with the shock of a tailgate being closed, and after a short while they just fail.
I have to say that this is generally with older cars though, and not Kia.
Have you had lasting lamp life? If so, do you remember the make you purchased?

It's a good point for the boot light and makes sense.
If I remember correctly there's only a single light in the boot on one side, and with such a large space it could probably do with another adding on the other side.
Have you thought about adding a second boot light, or do you find it's lit well enough with the LED bulb?

I might look to change the interior bulbs to quality LED's but sometimes I find the hard white LED lighting can be a bit too "cold" visually, if that makes any sense.

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you - pictures would help.
I'm not really worried about the location of the camera on the rear window itself, it's more about not seeing a cable-run between the camera and where the cable disappears into the headliner, and perhaps more important and noticable when looking into the boot from the outside.
It's as much about it looking OEM as it is functional.

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not sure how these will look to you. The plastic trim panel that the cable goes behind pops off quite easily and this allows you to hide the cable except for the small section that goes to the camera. In the picture showing the hatch open, the cable goes up through the rubber tube on the right hand side. It was quite easy to feed it through using a plastic zip tie. It is completely hidden all the way to the front of the car.
B06B0ED6-3E19-4872-ACAF-C1A270D113E8_1_105_c.jpeg 78153458-D2B0-425E-BB17-F99A50F309C0_1_105_c.jpeg 52A4D272-5D14-42E0-9CBE-B366662F31E5_1_105_c.jpeg B34046F5-F54A-4DC9-AD08-B6AA291C1CC9_1_105_c.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure how these will look to you. The plastic trim panel that the cable goes behind pops off quite easily and this allows you to hide the cable except for the small section that goes to the camera. In the picture showing the hatch open, the cable goes up through the rubber tube on the right hand side. It was quite easy to feed it through using a plastic zip tie. It is completely hidden all the way to the front of the car.
Thank you. That was what I was hoping for.
I wasn't sure how easy the hard-plastic trim panel was to remove and didn't want to see the camera cable trailing over the top of the trim before disappearing into the headliner.
I've not looked very closely at how the trim comes off but assume it's just a few plastic poppers that need a decent tug?

Hopefully the heated rear screen doesn't weaken the adhesive pad used to fix the camera in place.
Again - thanks for the pics and info - weather permitting I've got my Sunday morning job lined up :)

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think there are about 5-6 plastic poppers holding it in place, a little gentle tug and they start to pop off. I have had it installed now for about 10 days and so far it seems to be adhering good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An update...

Thanks to @sdahl38 the rear dashcam was installed with very little trouble.
The longest time was spent getting the cable through the rubber tube in the tailgate, but I took my time threading the cabling carefully down the upper left-side of the car making sure there was no possible fouling of the sideguard curtain airbags or their cabling or any interference of any seatbelt pre-tensioner cabling at the B pillar.
At the tailgate it was necessary for me to remove the rubber tube both top and bottom and then use a cable tie to draw string through the tube.
I then tied the string-end to the camera cabling and pulled it through.
It's tight at the tube-bends, so straightening the tube to allow the camera cable connector to pass was needed.
The rubber tube on this side carries the water pipe for the rear screen wash, so you don't want to damage that while pulling the cabling through.
I've arrowed the tube in the pics and it removes just like a grommet.
I did try the larger tube (on the left hand side) first, but the large loom bundle already present means there's not enough free space without risking damage to the loom.
I exited the cable connector through the red circled oval area in the tailgate - the blue circles are where the trim-clips fix. The back of the trim piece shows the 8 trim clips.
The Thinkware rear camera is the BCH-660 and it's mated to an F100 front camera.
In all it took me about 2hrs start-to-finish.

WP_20210207_13_46_51_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20210207_13_47_14_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20210211_11_38_13_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20210211_11_38_40_Pro_LI.jpg

It seems the accelerator pedal assembly is one complete unit for the First Edition model meaning the full pedal box is needed to convert to the aluminium pedals - this is a bit of a surprise and doesn't make any sense to me for either cost or production logic, but apparently the First Edition Xceed's ( and the new Trim Level 4 models) have different pedal box assemblies than the other trim levels in the same production group - info direct from a dealership.

All Xceed models have halogen fog and license plate bulbs.

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
8 Posts
An update...

Thanks to @sdahl38 the rear dashcam was installed with very little trouble.
The longest time was spent getting the cable through the rubber tube in the tailgate, but I took my time threading the cabling carefully down the upper left-side of the car making sure there was no possible fouling of the sideguard curtain airbags or their cabling or any interference of any seatbelt pre-tensioner cabling at the B pillar.
At the tailgate it was necessary for me to remove the rubber tube both top and bottom and then use a cable tie to draw string through the tube.
I then tied the string-end to the camera cabling and pulled it through.
It's tight at the tube-bends, so straightening the tube to allow the camera cable connector to pass was needed.
The rubber tube on this side carries the water pipe for the rear screen wash, so you don't want to damage that while pulling the cabling through.
I've arrowed the tube in the pics and it removes just like a grommet.
I did try the larger tube (on the left hand side) first, but the large loom bundle already present means there's not enough free space without risking damage to the loom.
I exited the cable connector through the red circled oval area in the tailgate - the blue circles are where the trim-clips fix. The back of the trim piece shows the 8 trim clips.
The Thinkware rear camera is the BCH-660 and it's mated to an F100 front camera.
In all it took me about 2hrs start-to-finish.

View attachment 9323 View attachment 9324 View attachment 9325 View attachment 9326

It seems the accelerator pedal assembly is one complete unit for the First Edition model meaning the full pedal box is needed to convert to the aluminium pedals - this is a bit of a surprise and doesn't make any sense to me for either cost or production logic, but apparently the First Edition Xceed's ( and the new Trim Level 4 models) have different pedal box assemblies than the other trim levels in the same production group - info direct from a dealership.

All Xceed models have halogen fog and license plate bulbs.

Cheers
Jeff
Looks great!

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Would it be difficult to install myself?
Check out the fitting guide on the page. Only you know your capability.

Just be aware that it will have a effect on your warranty, should you face any electrical issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's fairly simple - you just need a Dremel and few other common tools. It's made for KIA so no warranty issues there either.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts