Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 sedona V6. In the last two weeks I have had 2 lamda sensors changed, both rocker covers replaced spark plug change all by local kia dealership. There is a constant engine management light on, there is a huge oil leak front end. Been to three mechanics so far three days ago a mechanic did:

stripped engine down including all belts and cleaned the entire engine flushed the engine replaced oil filter and put in new oil. Ran the engine for over an hour and assured me that there is no leak coming from the engine plus he checked power steering pump that seemed ok.

went out in the car again today as i have for three days. The engine which was tappety is purring like a cat however there is a huge oil patch again today. The car is stuttery sometimes and my mpg is right down however the variable airflow mass sensor has packed up and i am awaiting new one. The car sometimes loses power on acceleration. All liquid levels are still at the full mark as it was topped up three days ago so no obvious loss of fluid. This has cost me £800 so far and the problems are still here. I have 4 kids and am at uni so cant afford new car and not anymore garage bills.

Any suggestions other than blow it up would be of great help, thanks in advance.
Edited by: cra16

·
Registered
662 Posts
heard this v6 called lots of things but Leakey's not one
suggest garage puts in some ultra violet dye and then traces leak with ultra violet lamp as this is a better way of tracing the source with out mass deconstruction also suggest you go back to the last guy and tell him its not fixed as i am sure you paid him to fix it not just have a look

would suggest that if he genuinely had all the cam belts off then the invoice should have been a lot more and the job would have taken his about a day and a half look for a good dealer or someone local with the good garage guide status

mass air flow sensor will be the fuel consumption issue as it will be on a rich default setting

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply the mechanic had the car for 2 days he stripped it and asked me to come see all parts stripped as he could find no evidence of a leak using a purple strobe lamp which I presume is what you are talking about. At the end of my tether with it. The car has been fatastic for the 4 years I have had it and is fairly low milage for its year currently 71,000 miles. Today on top of everything drove the kids to school when I came back to the car there was no power at all like there was no battery. Got it jump started and drove to kwik fit to test the battery which is only a few months old and was told it was fine. The car then went and died again along the road, free wheeled it to the side where the same happened again. Ten minutes later in frustration (waiting for someone to come jump the car) tried to start it and it fired first time. Hmmmmmmm its such a shame the car otherwise purrs like a kitten and bodywork fantastic.

Ps the mechanic originally quoted me £300 plus parts but changed it to £120 due to him not being able to find anything, seems a reasonable bloke and came highly regarded.

·
Registered
192 Posts
hi the mechanic didnt spill any oil when filling it did he also check the oil filter wasnt loose if you spill any it will run down the front of the engine and drip for a week, put a piece of cardboard under it leave it overnight and hopefully that will give you a rough idea where its coming from .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply

Phoned the mechanic and he said that although he cleaned all the engine to find the leak and found none all the oil spillage is from when he flushed the engine and didnt clean the underside. The old sump oil has been dripping onto the chassis and running along to the front of the car and dripping. Thats the first problem solved, air flow mass sensor coming today or tommorow and then all I have to do is figure out why the car has started cutting out.

Thanks for all your help so far peeps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
hi bud if your maf sensor is broken then that would cause the car to cut out but dont rule out summat else cheers bud

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awaiting for mass airflow sensor to arrive (new from the well known auction site £31) and will update

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aaarrrrrrrgh:

Fitted new mass airflow sensor.

1) engine management light nows goes out however does pop back on when hard acceleration i.e getting onto a roundabout.

2) There are no error codes anymore.

NEW PROBLEM:

car starts on first turn of key as always however now intermittently the car on turning off and on again will have no power whatsoever ie no dash lights no door pinging etc. Tested battery and is fully charged will not jump start will not bump start. After a while of taking terminals off battery and reconnecting approx 15 minutes connection of terminals will give me full power back again. So as my statement at the top aaarrrrrrrrgh someone please help me.

Ps - The car has done it twice prior to the new mass airflow sensor so I dont believe the new sensor is a cause.

·
Registered
192 Posts
check your earth sounds like a connection of some sort ?battery ok must be a connection no power to the starter .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was an earth problem cheers however sedona has to go it struggles now to drive anywhere without kangarooing up the road and seems to have no power in the engine taking it easy or not cost me too much so going to have to buy a banger for the meantime heyho.

Thanks for everyones advice but the car is still poorly

ps car now gets up to 8mpg which is sickningly expensive to run and is no good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts