Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I only noticed this last night and it’s also apparent during the day. However, seeing a outline which is a different shade around the main controls.

I’ve adjusted the brightness, hasn’t made any difference. Looks like some level of light bleeding from the back panel which is horrible.

Is this the norm?

Automotive design Vehicle Audio equipment Personal luxury car Font

Automotive design Vehicle Audio equipment Personal luxury car Vehicle audio

·
Registered
On Order: Sportage GT Line S PHEV in Infra Red
194 Posts
That's the back-light of the panel being visible isn't it?

Can't say I've seen that on any of the review videos...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a rectangular box of a lighter shade of colour, looks like light shadow around the touch buttons. It isn’t on the controls on the left but is present on the other side, between Map and Setup.

I would expect the light of the buttons to only be visible for the buttons

·
Registered
194 Posts
I thought it was just a clever LCD panel with both sets of controls on it, but I realised it was a true LCD when I spotted you can change which one it defaults to and that shows some text instructions on it. Therefore a too bright back-light will do this.

I presume there is a dimmer control for the dash lighting, does that not alter how bright the back-light is at all?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct, the dimmer impacts the main dash panels but not the centre controls.

I am not sure if it’s a defect on my panel or just the norm. It’s annoying especially in the night.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I haven't seen this effect on any YouTube videos I've seen, and that includes some night drive ones from the far east too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nor have I, but its difficult to see as it depends on the video quality and pictures. Not sure if I have the correct terminology used to describe the problem panel.

Hoping anybody who has received their sportage can share their experience.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Maybe the brightness level of the main display also affects this display? Try reducing that and see if it helps. Also there are settings for night mode and auto brightness, at least there are on my Niro, so try experimenting with those as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe the brightness level of the main display also affects this display? Try reducing that and see if it helps. Also there are settings for night mode and auto brightness, at least there are on my Niro, so try experimenting with those as well.
Setting the brightness to lowest possible makes it acceptable, it’s still present, however, then makes all other display in the car very low light levels.

Does your Niro have a similar problem?

·
Registered
2022 Sportage Launch Edition
65 Posts
These pictures were taken just now (3:15pm), I haven't altered any settings (so presume factory). I can see, albeit faintly, the box you have - but it's clearly not as visible as yours
Car Vehicle Steering part Automotive design Personal luxury car

Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Audio equipment Auto part

:unsure:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I took one shortly before with 'night mode', and it looks exactly like yours!
Yes, a camera will be able to pick up light levels that the human eye can't see - or at least digitally enhance the light levels it does see.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, but if I drop the brightness then it helps, only slightly.

I'll re-check check when I go home this evening, following the update.

Is 'night-mode' a feature on the Kia or on the phone itself when taking pictures? I am using an iPhone

1 - 20 of 21 Posts