Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s peoples thoughts experience in Kia dealers disconnecting dash cams when in for service or work

not allowed too as private property or

allowed as part of data protection

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I always disconnect my cams when I take my car in for service or MOT test, regardless of the garage I use. Were I an employee in a garage, I would not wish someone to set a camera so that I was being spied on.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I suggest there are two sides to this:-
Do you trust the garage to do what it promises? versus Are you happy the garage will do what it promises?
We've all seen programs like Rogue Traders with hidden cameras identifying a catalogue of errors and many of us on the forum have had less than ideal treatment by Kia dealers
But if the tables were turned, would you like someone watching over your shoulder when doing your job (or not as the case may be)

I think in future cars will get cameras as standard, and then a main dealer might have to plug in the gizmo to disable it for the duration but then where would that leave indie garages. Pull a fuse maybe, but would that clear settings for radio etc.

Its an interesting dilemma, even before things like data protection start to muddy the water even further.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Interesting question. I for one, just like Indalo, always disconnect my dashcam just out of respect for the dealership. If I had questions over the honesty or integrity of the organisation, I wouldn't take my car there. Maybe that's a naive outlook, but that's my take on the question.

I do however acknowledge that the motor trade itself often "spies" on it's own dealerships using independent personnel equipped with camera/audio technology. I always thought this was pretty underhand, but having once been invited by one manufacturer to accompany such a person, I was told that this was something which most manufacturers do to ensure dealerships maintain standards.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Disconnect or not, the UVO system is also spying for you. Open the car door, bonnet, start the engine. Take it for a road test it will record the duration and maximum speed, then send it all to your phone. You don't even have to request it, if you have UVO activated it will happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
What’s peoples thoughts experience in Kia dealers disconnecting dash cams when in for service or work

not allowed too as private property or

allowed as part of data protection
Certainly will not come under data protection (GDPR) now.

As other I do disconnect mine, as I trust the dealer. As well as it is only on when the car is running. As they will have the car turned on, it is another draw on the battery and just could cause odd readings on diagnostic equipment. They want the car in std form.
As above UVO is our new big brother, unless the dealer goes to the trouble of deactivating it when in for a service. (might be something to check going forward)

Do not think we will see dash cams as standard as they are banned in many countries. So would be a nightmare for a manufacture, as they would have to be removable to sell in certain markets as well as being able to be disabled by users entering these countries. In America it varies state by state.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,436 Posts
Our dealership asks for it to be removed beforehand, but I would have removed it beforehand without them asking. I have always emptied the car of all personal stuff before taking it in. We do this for two reasons, firstly it prevents any light fingered so and so removing something we value, and yes I am well aware that the dealer responsibilities, but it's easier not to get in that situation in the first place. And secondly it's an excuse to remove all the detritus that collects in the car between services, especially my other halves sweet wrapper collection.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
My dealership disconnects the dashcam. I do not like the practice - what are they hiding or embarrassed about?

What I find really annoying is they do not reconnect it before returning the car to me. I drove for several days with it disconnected and had I needed it there could be some liability on the dealer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any device or sticker affixed to a windscreen in either Zone A or B can fail DOT test, so the dealer is legally correct to remove them as they will be signing a legal document that the vehicle is both safe & road legal

·
Registered
912 Posts
I occasionally deliver another brand of car to a that brands dealer and they allways disconnect the dashcam, which wont stop it filming straight away beacuse it has a built in battery and a motion sensor.
However the part I dislike is that they never re connect it, so should I, or whoever collects the car forget to check and reconnect the cable, there will be no evidence. , Even a mechanic on a test may appreciate the evidence one day.
Perhaps they are disconnected to avoid revealing joy riding, trips to the shop at lunch time, errands and such, more than the casual work pace in the work shop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I took my BMW i3 in for service at a main dealer, not only did they unplug the dashcam, they disabled the GPS so you could not track the car when they had it.
They then added 30 miles to it whilst they serviced it.
When they handed it back, they denied it had gone 30 miles and didn't plug the dashcam back in and reinstate the GPS.

BMW dealerships are the reason I don't drive a BMW any more.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I took my BMW i3 in for service at a main dealer, not only did they unplug the dashcam, they disabled the GPS so you could not track the car when they had it.
They then added 30 miles to it whilst they serviced it.
When they handed it back, they denied it had gone 30 miles and didn't plug the dashcam back in and reinstate the GPS.

BMW dealerships are the reason I don't drive a BMW any more.
also not a kia but still This Audi owner tracked his car going 122mph WHILE it was 'being serviced'

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,055 Posts
I understand Tesla cars have several on board and internal cameras for a variety of purposes, so much so that their cars have been banned from Chinese military bases. Interesting how this will carry forwards as most electric cars will have the same soon.

And I always remove my dashcam (if I remember) prior to service out of respect as I used to be a mechanic once upon a time. It's magnetic and takes seconds to do. I fully trust the garage I use.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
I understand Tesla cars have several on board and internal cameras for a variety of purposes, so much so that their cars have been banned from Chinese military bases. Interesting how this will carry forwards as most electric cars will have the same soon.
Kia already have. & most other manufactures have.
If you have road sign recognition & other features.

I guess China are just as paranoid about US products as the US are about chinese.

Reactions: Drwho2 and phil866

·
Registered
912 Posts
The father of a colleague was told his car might be ready the following day when he went to collect it after a routine service, all day for just an oil change he asked? After walking around the rear of the large building he spied his new Peugeot inside with the hood, grill and a headlight missing.
Turned out it was crashed into a lamp post during joy riding in the large car park, and was now being hastily repaired. The dealer had done their best to keep it a secret.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts