Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody asked Kia if a LPG conversion would affect the warranty on there cars if so what did they say?.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There are no KIA Approved lpg conversions out there.
You would certainly have a hard time should you need engine work doing in the future, as lpg can damage heads if they are not setup for lpg.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, I contacted Kia back in 2004 about having my Carens converted to LPG, with questions about warranty, they were o.k. about the conversion, though they did point out possible conflicts should a mayor failure occur. Anyway I went ahead, and all has been great, no problems at all.
At the time of my conversation with them, they did admit that other customers had gone down the same route with success, and indeed today the Kia Range in the Netherlands is offered with a factory fitted LPG system, should customers wish to order it.

Cheers Gasman.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi just a up date I have spoken to kia and have a letter back saying the warranty would not void but if a fault of the conversion then it would not be reasonable.No I got to work out what could go wrong with the engine it is said that lpg burns hotter and this could affect the valve seating but trawling the internet I find very few problems reported I intend to keep the car for the time of the warranty so it would be worth doing it but not is the engine could be put at risk?.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kia's own site for the Netherlands lists all the options on there range of cars, inc LPG. Unfortunately its in Dutch, with no option to change to English, may be worth a look see though.

If you go ahead with the conversion, beware cowboys and second rate systems, fit a top of the range, do the research, look at the LPG Association Web Site. Fit the best, forget the rest, and look forward to years of cheap motoring, with no worries about engine damage........

Cheers Gasman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that Gasman I am looking at a stag system have you any thoughts about I see there is a romano system as well what make of system would you recommend

·
Registered
41 Posts
I couldn't recommend a particular manufacturer, I can only speak from experience gained over the past 6 years of talking to and listening to what many LPG engineers have to say..................plus my own experience with my own car.

Fit the wrong system, and in the long term it will be a serious false economy. As I suggested look on the LPG Association Web Site, click on I already own a LPG car, click on your county, or part of the country, enter the systems you mentioned and see what comes up..............................
The very best systems are Full Sequential Multi Point Injection, which in no way rely on the cars ECU for instructions. Indeed these systems fool the cars ECU into believing that the engine is always running on petrol, hence no interference with the manufacturers set up. They monitor all the functions of the car, and the LPGs own computer runs the engine, only allowing the engine to change to gas once the safe operating temp has been reached, this prevents valve damage.

My own system, which has preformed faultlessly over the years is a 'Prins', when my next car is converted, again it will be a 'Prins', or possibly a 'BRC', whose system is very very similar.

Just a little thought to help you on your way, I save over £1000 every year by using LPG as opposed to petrol, and have done for years past. My total petrol bill for the year is no more than £30, LPG powered cars start on petrol, and turn to gas when warm, normally 2-3 min, or slightly longer in the winter. When its a warm engine restart, the changeover is virtually instantaneous.

Hope this helps, any questions please ask.

Cheers Gasman.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Might be worth fitting an upper cylinder lube system, such as flashlube, as lpg doesn't lube the upper cylinder like petrol and you get valve seat recession, I've seen a lpg sprtage with this problem.
Ford had big issues in holland with it, and have a 'lpg specific' head for it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, it may be a good idea to fit a 'flashlube system' while having your LPG system fitted, if your concerned about valve seat recession. Though the normal cause is gas being introduced into the engine before its at optimum working temp, often a problem with the cheaper systems out there.
I have done 60000 miles with no flashlube, and no problems, but if your not sure, for peace of mind the extra £100 or so would be well spent.

Happen the Sportage which Murphwiz refers to could have a cheaper LPG system fitted...........

The Ford problem, if memory serves, was that the materials they used in the manufacture of their heads was inferior, hence they were prone to problems.

Cheers Gasman

·
Registered
887 Posts
Some engines are happy with it, some not.
Ford, volvo, honda to name a few I know had a lot of issues over in holland where lpg is a widespread thing, typicaly heads lasting arounf 60k miles.
The older the engine design the happier it will be with much harder valve seats, modern engines with thier super thermally efficient designs do need a upper cylinder lube to slow the problem down.
My old 406 was great on lpg, good old rover v8 loves it to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts