Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wondered if anyone else out there is bothered about the price of fuel!!!!!!!!!!!

Had my 2003 Carens converted to LPG, professionally, and am saving at least £100 a month. Maybe worth thinking about..............

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi gasman, welcome to the club and forum.

I take it that was a petrol engined Carens.............Most of us have bought diesels for economy, although a well converted petrol version will be cheaper to run than the equivalent diesel, a lot of people dont want to lose valuable boot space or their spare wheel. Also not everyone wants to spend an extra £1500-£2000 on top of the purchase price of the car.

A few years ago i had a 3.9 V8 Range Rover converted to run on lpg and it was great, smooth, powerful, and very cheap to run. All in all a much better package than the diesel version. Back then the conversions were rather basic compared with modern electronic multi-jet systems but i was well impressed with it. However modern diesels have narrowed the power/refinement gap considerably and unless i needed a very large car to do long journeys i'll be sticking with diesel for now.

This is in no way a post against lpg, just my personal view of the current status quo.

Keep enjoying your KIA, all the best.....jamie.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi goldfish66, thanks for your thoughts on gas conversions, you are correct in that my Carens is petrol powered, and the conversion cost best part of £2000 when I had it carried out, a few years ago now. My gas tank, 66litre, is positioned in my spare wheel well and normally I carry a couple of cans of instant tyre repair, just in case, though on long journeys I can take the spare in the back of the car.
My average milage is 11000 a year, which at currant prices would cost me on petrol about £1,980, whereas on gas its about £750.

However, perhaps the other considerations could be felt to be more important, my emmissions are basically zero, no harmfull anythings, which means no congestion charge payable, road fund licence falls by one or possibly two levels, hence cheaper to tax, plus power unit runs much cleaner & the exhaust cat becomes redundant. Great when its M.O.T. time.

Lots of plus factors, no downside that I'm aware of.

Same M.P.G. as petrol and increased performance, especiallly acceleration.

My first Kia, not my last...............

1 - 3 of 3 Posts