Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I have to admit I haven't read the manual as I know if it's anything like my wifes car it's going to be a pain.
So the light came up and I stopped and visually checked the tyres. All ok so suspect one tyre is down a fraction in pressure triggering the warning. So how do I determine which one it is apart from checking all the pressures.
What is the tolerance, I have the diesel, 2016 hatchback, how do you reset it?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Surely the first reaction would be to check tyre pressures ??
Takes 5 mins,just the ambient temp dropping will lower tyre pressures.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Easiest and most accurate way to check is the old fashioned way, go around and check all four tyres with a pressure gauge and re-inflate any that are low. The TPMS will reset when the pressures are inflated back to normal.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Check all the pressures. I will bet that they all are low. Also check the spare (if you have one) - that will be low too. It's colder now so the pressures will drop.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok as expected I checked all the tyre pressures and they were as follows
Both fronts 35psi
One rear 32
Other rear 26
Looking at the plate inside the door they should be 32psi all round.
They are now and guess what the light is still on, on the dash board.
On my wife's Merc you just reset the computer to accept the set pressures.
The kia manual just states take it to the dealer.......or have I missed something?
Pressure gauge I used was a good quality electronic one.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Oh and I started the car 3 times to reset the computer still the same.
Have you been for a drive? The pressure sensors don't reset until the car is driven a short distance, take it around the block. Also try over inflating by a few pounds, drive around the block and the drop them back to the correct pressure. If that doesn't work you may have a faulty sensor.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oh and I started the car 3 times to reset the computer still the same.
Are you sure there is not a TPMS reset button?, on the Stonic it is on the lower right switch panel below the steering wheel.

To reset the tyres need to be correctly inflated, the engine running, and the button pressed for over 3 seconds, the warning lamp should blink for 4 seconds to confirm the reset.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 2014 Ceed estate you can determine the tyre at fault by checking the illumoinated diagram on the centre dash top that shows which door(s) are open.
Tyres not at correct pressure will display a little dash alongside where the tyre is located.

Also The sensors have always needed a short drive to reset after inflating tyres.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info chaps, I will work my way through it all and come back and update you all.
Right a drive round the block to with.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I frequently get the odd tyre coming up on the display, my trick is to take the tyre pressure down (after checking no obvious defects) to 10-15psi and then re-inflate to normal pressure. TPMS light always goes off after a re-inflate.

Seems to come after having been sat for a few days of inactivity or driving through big puddles when it has rained a lot.

·
Registered
679 Posts
... take the tyre pressure down to 10-15psi and then re-inflate to normal pressure
Because air heats up when compressed the final pressure will drop a bit again after it has cooled.

Whatever filling techniques are used, it can be a good idea to over fill the tyres, for ex. On the trip home in the evening. Then early next morning while they are all equal temperature, before the sun warms any of them, go and check the pressures letting out some air to drop the reading to the correct value. No pump required.

Wall mounted digital displays at gas stations are usually as accurate as the gauges that can be purchased in shops.
Avoid the hose mounted gauges that get thrown about on the ground.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everybody for your information and tips. I found another section in the manual detail what Roger TE was saying, and found the tyre indicators on the dashboard. I did a drive of 1/2 mile which sorted out the dash board warning light as Mr.Macspot advised.
Much appreciated information thanks all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts