Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
It's there to warn you of ice on the roads or a risk of slippery roads ect. I think 99.9% of cars have it set firm nowadays, although mines 4 degC.

·
Registered
536 Posts
But it only beeps once when you turn the ignition on and when the temp drops to the set temperature right? That's all my passat did. One quick, half a second beep and a snowflake appear on the tachometer...... And that was it. I could live with that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Fergus, mine did the same last week. I'd had the car less than a week and it was the first time the temp had dropped so low, but it kept flashing and bonging at me as the temp fluctuated. I never actually saw anything other than 5.0C, but that's what must have been happening.I thought something was wrong, and the handbook only mentioned it coming on, not making all that noise!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strange number of alarms today. The temperaturewas -6.5C then moved between -6 to -3 during the journey to work.
When the temperature raised from -6C to -4.0C the alarm sounded and the orange light went on. When the Temperature dropped below -4.0C the light went out??

The system seems to be programmed to alarm at + 5C and switch off alarm at - 4C??

So below - 4.0C there is no danger of Ice on the roads...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would guess that the rationale is that at 5c you could be lulled into a false sense of security regarding the conditions whereas at -4c it assumes that any sensible human being would automatically realise that dangerous conditions are expected !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
So people are actually complaining about a safety precaution that informs us of something we take for granted, in turn potentially saving our lives and the lives of others?

...wow...I feel so sorry for you all having to endure a couple of beeps/bongs every now and then. It's people like you who are the reason these systems were installed, so in fact, that system is there because YOU need it...huh!?...go figure

Edited by: Bradley_H

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bradley_H said:
So people are actually complaining about a safety precaution that informs us of something we take for granted, in turn potentially saving our lives and the lives of others?

...wow...I feel so sorry for you all having to endure a couple of beeps/bongs every now and then. It's people like you who are the reason these systems were installed, so in fact, that system is there because YOU need it...huh!?...go figure

Agree, mine comes on at 4. But I dont know all you guys in your safe cages, you want to try riding a bike in the snow and Ice like I did today LOL.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Bradley_H said:

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">Like everything, it is horses for courses. If a safety feature irritates then there is a danger that it may become distracting enough to increase the risk of an accident.
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">I like to have the warning lamp there but I'd rather it bonged once and then shut up. I like to think that I am intelligent enough to take heed of the warning without constant repetition.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Techno said:
Bradley_H said:

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">Like everything, it is horses for courses. If a safety feature irritates then there is a danger that it may become distracting enough to increase the risk of an accident.
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">I like to have the warning lamp there but I'd rather it bonged once and then shut up. I like to think that I am intelligent enough to take heed of the warning without constant repetition.
Well I can't recall a time where I have been warned more than once in one journey of the temperature being low. Either it's been convenient that the temperature has never negatively passed the limit twice in one journey for me, or there's something wrong with your sensor going off every time as opposed to going off the once in a single journey, regardless of how many times it passes limit.

But seriously, how many times are you having to 'endure' the bongs going off in a single journey? I think the risk of the bongs causing you an accident due to distraction, is completely outweighed by the risk of accident due to not being warned properly.

If it bothers you that much, find the sensor and cut the cable causing the bong, leaving the indicator only.

Edited by: Bradley_H

·
Registered
35 Posts
belgrave said:
Yes that's right - cut the cable, have an accident and put your insurance at risk= bonkers !!
I am in no way endorsing the cutting of the cable, I too think it's ridiculous to do such a thing, but apparently this is quite an issue for some people...

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Bradley_H said:
But seriously, how many times are you having to 'endure' the bongs going off in a single journey? I think the risk of the bongs causing you an accident due to distraction, is completely outweighed by the risk of accident due to not being warned properly.
It can bong up to twenty times on our journey to work as the temperature rises and falls.

If it bothers you that much, find the sensor and cut the cable causing the bong, leaving the indicator only.

That would permanently disable the bong. If you had read my post, you would have seen that I am not averse to an initial bong. I think my own car gives an initial bong and a written warning on the dash display then just shows a snowflake on the dash. It resets every journey.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Techno said:
Bradley_H said:
It can bong up to twenty times on our journey to work as the temperature rises and falls.

That would permanently disable the bong. If you had read my post, you would have seen that I am not averse to an initial bong. I think my own car gives an initial bong and a written warning on the dash display then just shows a snowflake on the dash. It resets every journey.
Hmmmm...20 times?! Are you sure if isn't faulty then? There must have been a time when I was in the car and it has passed the limit more than once...

I did read your post but as far as I'm aware, there is no way to alter the sensor or change any settings for it. I think you may just have to deal with it unfortunately.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine went off 6 times on a journey from Penrith to York last Thursday as the temperature varied from 4.5 to 5 to 5.5 and back. It is quite annoying and we ended up shouting "shutup" at it.

I am more concerned that, once it has sounded, it doesn't tell you the temperature has gone down to 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, -1 where the risk of ice is increasing - as it did today on the way back from York - started at 2.5 so it sounded once, got down to -1.5 on top of the Pennines.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts