Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The low fuel alert pops up at around the 50 miles remaining mark. Does this mean there is ~50 miles of fuel left in total or until reserve is being used?

·
Registered
111 Posts
How many miles you get after the fuel light illuminates is going to depend on the type of trips you do - whilst on a longish trip you will get a reasonable range but if doing short trips the range will be much less.
So yes it is just telling you that the fuel has gone down to a certain amount remaining and to refuel asap.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The low fuel alert pops up at around the 50 miles remaining mark. Does this mean there is ~50 miles of fuel left in total or until reserve is being used?
The former, as there is no reserve, all fuel being held in a single reservoir with no switching mechanism to a supplementary reserve.

It should go without saying, and I'm sure you know this very well, that particularly for diesel car drivers, it is good practice to maintain, always, a level of fuel sufficient to avoid running out. Anyone who has ever been stranded in the middle of nowhere will testify to that!:crying:

Whether or not the quantity of fuel remaining when the low-fuel warning occurs is sufficient for 50 miles is questionable - if it's actually 65 miles, that's excellent but if it's only 45 miles and the nearest fuel station is 50 miles away……and the rain is coming down in buckets and you're stuck on an unlit road on the top of the north Pennines…..:mad:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both. My previous car be design would report estimate mileage conservatively so that there was a 'reserve' 30 miles or so one you hit 'zero' left.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It must be more than 15 years ago since I had my Nissan Sunny so I can't remember if I had the same problem, since then I am on my 4th Kia and all seem to have a dodgy fuel gauge and by that I mean that the needle moves very slowly until about half full then drops away quite quick.

I remember once in my Carens it was showing approx 50 miles to go and even in slow moving traffic it was going down quicker than the mileage I was going then all of a sudden from about 30 it dropped to around 10 miles so I don't trust them as far as I could throw them.

The worst of all has to be the wife's Picanto once it reaches half full I can barely get 60 or 70 miles out of it before the light comes on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Historically many car fuel gauges have not worked in a linear fashion,when we fill our tanks - we are also filling up the filler neck/hose (and possibly some of the Tank Air/Vent space) which of course means we have an extra gallon or 2 on board as any fuel in the neck will be ungauged.
Also many fuel tanks are not symmetrical and just the shape of the tank can affect how accurate the gauge is below half full.
Any 'Range' displayed is 'calculated' from current/recent average mpg,so if you then do (say) a cold start or hit slow traffic then the 'Range' can decrease quite rapidly/dramatically.
I always reset my 'trip' odometer at every fill up and that gives me a known 'safe' range - taking into account ambient temps and expected traffic etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts