1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Just took ownership of my 2015 sportage 2.0 Diesel CDi
lovely car, but has anyone had the following

on the odd occasion the engine revs will fluctuate at low speed then it sort of goes into limp mode, its only done it twice now and has been fine for the past 2 weeks,
if i turn the engine off and back on its back to normal, i use to have this on my old VW but after using premium petrol on that it was fine, could it be the diesel im using.

got a scraping noise from the rea brakes at low speed when breaking, could this be pads.?

Its still got 3 months warrant so i think a trip back, but wanted some thoughts on this

Many Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
1 Sounds like a bigger issue than fuel, you haven't mentioned what sort of journeys you are doing?
I would not normally say this. Although not fully functional, use an elm device to see if you have codes, if you do then it will require proper dealer diagnostics.
May well need a bit of a motorway blast.
2 The pads have wear brackets on them that contact the disc when low, which would give the scraping sound.

If you have warranty then take it back, before you eat more time trying figure it out, as it may take more than trip if you are unlucky. 3 months will soon go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an OBD reader but nothing has come up, its on short journeys into town and back but its only done it twice , i have been on long journeys on the M11 and up to 70, 80 mph and its running great,
only just started, taking back to dealer on Monday see if both items are covered. love the car bit disappointed as we have only had it a few weeks.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You are probably discovering why the previous owner got rid of the car. Might be a good idea to reject it if you are within 28 days of purchase.

Since its less than 7 years old the 3 month warranty is a bit pointless (unless its been poorly maintained and the warranty has lapsed). If it is still under warranty the previous owner probably discovered that the fault was untraceable and as I said above simply sold it on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sending it back is a bit over the top, I'm not a believer in don't work send it back, i like the car and it drives great, its had a full service history and 1 owner from new so cant see them suddenly selling off because if this issue. I'm not a mechanic so ill see what the dealer says. but thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sending it back is a bit over the top, I'm not a believer in don't work send it back, i like the car and it drives great, its had a full service history and 1 owner from new so cant see them suddenly selling off because if this issue. I'm not a mechanic so ill see what the dealer says. but thanks for the advice
Your choice but just consider how expensive and time consuming sorting a troublesome modern car can be. What appears to be a simple issue can easily write the car off when the cost of fixing is more than the cars value.

There is a free alternative but as I say its your choice.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My 2013 KX 4 2L D has played up a bit recently. That is first time in the 2 odd years I have owned it. It coincides with the ultra-low journeys I have started doing since getting a new job. I do try and take it for longer trips if possible at weekends, just to hopefully get regen kicking in.
My tick over, however, is rock solid.
If it's in limp mode it will do about 30 MPH tops, that's how mine behaved. Starting and tick over was fine. As you say turning it on and off kinda reset it until the engine light came on, that was about 3-4 weeks ago, I used a bluetooth elm device to reset it, it's been fine since (that's the kiss of death for me now). o_O
You haven't said if the problem is in between the M11 trip, or as a result of the short journey, and the longer journey makes it work better for a period.
Supermarket fuel had a profound effect on mine about a year ago (local Sainsbury's in Harlow), I had to use an additive and a few tank fulls of Esso premium to flush it through.

I do kind of agree don't get stuck with a dud, as you would probably end up annoyed that you didn't get rid sooner. That is just my thoughts though. If you can get it fixed I am sure you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Supermarket fuel had a profound effect on mine about a year ago (local Sainsbury's in Harlow), I had to use an additive and a few tank fulls of Esso premium to flush it through
I have used supermarket fuels in all of our cars pretty much exclusively since the mid 80's and never had a single issue. All retailers can have a bad batch but it can happen to the big brands as well.

Just remember that branded fuel and supermarket fuel come from the same tanks at the same depot. The only difference is the snake oil additives that are put in at the depot, different brands have a different cocktail.

So far my car has only had one non supermarket fill up and that was because the village we were in on holiday had no supermarket. In over 3 years the wifes car has been fuelled exclusively at supermarkets except for 2 gallons that were added for convenience last March.

The 4 major supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrison and Asda) account for about 45% of fuel sold in the UK. If the fuel caused any issues there would be cars breaking down all over and reports in the Daily Mail about the scandal of the poor fuel they sell. But the truth is there is no widespread issue.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not wanting to take over the OP thread related to his car...
I have been using supermarket fuel since it came to the town. I too have never had an issue, until that one time. The car sounded like the cam was about to fall out after about 1/4 mile from the station. It then proceeded to not want to start hot or cold.
Once it had an additive and was flushed out with premium fill-ups, all was and has been good ever since.
I still use the same filling station. It is only my experience at the end of the day.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
350 Posts
Problem is. If you don't beleive in send it back. Your consumer rights dwindle the longer you leave it. If you bought it in the last 30 days they have a legal obligation in the first 30 days to rectify it or your can return it for a full refund. Id expect a working car, used or not. You're also covered for 6 months with the burden of proof on faults being on the garage. After that you'd have to prove the fault was there before you bought it. So dealer warranties are a bit of smoke up your bum in reality. They are usually alot more legally obliged than the warranties they write.

My car had a slight noise going into 4th. Turned out it needed £2000 of work doing which I would have got stuck with had I left it

·
Registered
213 Posts
Out of interest where did you get the vehicle from?
I brought a car from a local dealer, turned out that it was a pig. In honesty, they did try to repair it but failed. Refused to refund money, within the stipulated time frame. Luckily I had paid a fair bit on a credit card, so made a chargeback and managed to get a fair bit of it back.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Out of interest where did you get the vehicle from?
I brought a car from a local dealer, turned out that it was a pig. In honesty, they did try to repair it but failed. Refused to refund money, within the stipulated time frame. Luckily I had paid a fair bit on a credit card, so made a chargeback and managed to get a fair back.
I got mine from a website called carzam. They had their own warranty policy but I knew I had better rights by law.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The trouble is small dealers know that to get money back is going to be a court route via small claims. that costs and is a pain in the proverbial.
Most won't stand the coats. You approach trading standards/consumer rights who will issue a warning before it comes to a court proceding. In which they will lose if they haven't adhered to the law. They dont have a choice. Most garages will know this and the preconception that they will not comply is usually unfounded.

·
Registered
2017 2.0 Diesel AWD KX3
490 Posts
A lot depends on whether you want the hassle of taking to dealer with a 'cant find anything wrong' scenario where you are backwards and forwards with increasing frustration levels.

As regards fuel my 14 plate 2.0 diesel from almost new developed a slight hesitation at 2000 revs. Took it back a couple of times and even managed to demonstrate it to the chief mechanic (or whatever his title was). Next step was to fit a 'black box' and have a long period of data recorded to send to Kia mothership.
I'd religiously been filling up at the same Esso garage. Changed fuel garages and the hesitation disappeared.
You hear stories of contaminated tanks with all sorts of issues.

·
Registered
350 Posts
A lot depends on whether you want the hassle of taking to dealer with a 'cant find anything wrong' scenario where you are backwards and forwards with increasing frustration levels.

As regards fuel my 14 plate 2.0 diesel from almost new developed a slight hesitation at 2000 revs. Took it back a couple of times and even managed to demonstrate it to the chief mechanic (or whatever his title was). Next step was to fit a 'black box' and have a long period of data recorded to send to Kia mothership.
I'd religiously been filling up at the same Esso garage. Changed fuel garages and the hesitation disappeared.
You hear stories of contaminated tanks with all sorts of issues.
I think all garages get their fuel from the same refineries. I literally once followed a tanker that delivered to my local jet garage to asda where he filled them up too.

Although I do agree, every once in a while I put premium diesel in the car, i think the only difference is that it has no biodiesel (b7 on the pump being 7% biodiesel) that or I dump a can of normfest ct60 in the fuel filter housing when it gets changed. Not done my own servicing on the kia yet though. I'm currently on a tank of premium diesel and it does drive alot better. I think its 5p a litre more but I prefer the smoother drive so so pay it. I tend to get a blip at low revs when the car isn't warmed up and the air con is running. Not as noticible when I'm on the better fuel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
don't know why, seems to have resolved, maybe being stuck on the forecourt was an issue?
Drove to Somerset and have done over 1500 miles in past week with no issues, may put some redex down it to give it a bit of a clean,

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
799 Posts
Millers is a pretty good diesel additive - I put it in our Diesel Sportage occasionally (ie when I remember :) )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.