Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So I've got a bit of a strange one and I'm stumped, just wondered if anyone had any ideas...

So basically when my 2012 Rio has been sat overnight or for a while and is cold, when I pull off my drive and get to the end of my street and climb a small incline, and change into 2nd and put my foot down, the engine feels like it's losing power and then if I keep my foot down it makes a clunk and I feel a shudder from the front, however, if I change into 3rd it doesn't do it and is fine again. Plus, once I pull out onto the main road, and it's driven for 1-2 minutes the issue isn't there and it drives perfectly then no issues.

Initially, me and my mechanic thought it could be a faulty DMF as I also get some chattering, however apparently after some digging I don't believe these have DMF and are Solid Mass. Since the problem goes away when it's warmed up a little it can't imagine it's engine-related or a mounting issue otherwise it would do this all the time. So it obviously seems to be something transmission-related as it only does it when in 2nd, cold, and when torque is on it.

I have also tried replacing all the plugs with new NGK's just to rule out a misfire issue.

Beginning to wonder if it could be the Solid Flywheel and/or drive-shaft or something along those lines.

Anyone get any ideas?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes, solid clutches, no dmfs in Rio.
Sounds very much transmission related.
I would check the gearbox oil level, but sounds clutch related eg slipping causing power loss then shuddering when it re-engages.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, solid clutches, no dmfs in Rio.
Sounds very much transmission related.
I would check the gearbox oil level, but sounds clutch related eg slipping causing power loss then shuddering when it re-engages.
The clutch is relatively new apparently, however it seems strange that once it's a little warm, the fault goes and it drives perfectly. However, the clutch does chatter when it's cold too, and again that also goes when it's warm. Strange.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Keep an eye on the tacho rpm whilst accelerating. If rpm rises whilst losing power, then transmission related. If rpm drops then look at engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts