Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone reading my previous psost on the 50/60k mileage thing will know what I'm talking about.

Firstly my car went in to a new dealership for a 60,000 mile service.
I wasn't convinced that anything had been done, and after numerous phone calls it transpire that I was correct.

Giving the dealership the benefit of the doubt, I assumed a clerical error between front and rear of house.

So It's booked to go back in today, to do what they should have done two weeks ago.
It's 10am and I'm calling asking what time they are picking it up.

The service desk tell me that the driver is setting off any time now, then preceeded to ask me where they are collecting it from. Also asked for my Mobile number, which they must have had and used about a dozen times now.

If the driver is setting off in 5 minutes, how does he know where to collect the car from when the service desk havn't even arranged this yet.
Again, me giving them the benefit of doubt, maybe their policy is to call 5 minutes before the driver sets off.

Have I been too trusting in this dealership ??

I'm not going to name and shame the dealership as maybe I'm just being too cynical, my first dealings with them were pretty flawless but this service saga has riuned my confidence in them.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I haven't had any experience with my Kia yet, but with my previous car the dealer's driver would never set off to collect my car much before 11. I can only assume he was multi tasking, but it did always work out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ours tried it on with tyres.

They said in the vehicle inspection all 4 tyres needed changing. I knew the fronts were in need of change soon but the rears had plenty of life left in them given we don't do much mileage in ours. They also wanted a ridiculous price for the replacements. They wanted about £40 or £50 a tyre more (than our local Kwikfit) for a like for like replacement.

The girl on the sales desk then said - they could offer us, what was essentially an inferior tyre for cheaper. And they were still more......

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
They wanted about £40 or £50 a tyre more (than our local Kwikfit) for a like for like replacement.
About 5 or 6 years ago, while I owned a Hyundai i40 Tourer, it was in for service one day and I got a call from the dealership to say that they had completed the service but the technician had noted that the two front tyres would almost certainly need changing before the next service. As they had the correct size of Hankook in stock, the front desk receptionist asked if I'd like them to fit new tyres at a price that I can't remember today.

I immediately said no as I knew I could save a fair bit by shopping around the major tyre suppliers. Sadly, when a week or so later, I decided to price up tyres, I discovered that the price they had quoted me at the Hyundai dealership was better than I was being quoted by 'Black Circles' and all the other usual suspects.

In the end, I decided to change to Michelins, tyres that I have never found fault with on many cars over many decades, because Costco were doing a promotional offer at that time. To be fair, I thought the Hankooks were thoroughly decent tyres if perhaps a little noisy. My choice to migrate across to Michelin was partly because I travelled a lot through France, Germany and Spain in those days and Michelins are available everywhere whereas trying to locate Continentals in France proved to be very difficult when I suffered a major high-speed blow out on a French motorway.

When I purchased my current Optima, I was delighted that it came equipped with Michelins.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
876 Posts
Ours tried it on with tyres.

They said in the vehicle inspection all 4 tyres needed changing. I knew the fronts were in need of change soon but the rears had plenty of life left in them given we don't do much mileage in ours. They also wanted a ridiculous price for the replacements. They wanted about £40 or £50 a tyre more (than our local Kwikfit) for a like for like replacement.

The girl on the sales desk then said - they could offer us, what was essentially an inferior tyre for cheaper. And they were still more......
I found this as well. Price quoted through Kia local dealership is about £50 more per tyre compared to all the other local tyre places. It’s a shame as I would prefer to get tyres changed when needed at garage along with service but cannot justify the huge mark up in price.

Whenever you read what the fully fitted tyre price is it always says about new valves but if you have the tyre management system which all newer cars do then the valves wouldn’t be replaced would they?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
the valves wouldn’t be replaced would they?
Standard practice is to replace the valve innards on changing tyres. The whole TPMS valve assemblies are pretty robust by all accounts so they are not replaced but should be inspected.

·
Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
876 Posts
Standard practice is to replace the valve innards on changing tyres. The whole TPMS valve assemblies are pretty robust by all accounts so they are not replaced but should be inspected.
But I assume the valves aren’t same as the sensors then on the wheels the show pressure etc?

·
Registered
2017 Sportage GT Line S - 1.6T DCT
522 Posts
Service staff at dealers are incentivised to "find" upsell on cars going through their workshops. Brakes & tyres being recommended for replacement well ahead of when necessary is a common tactic. And then they're not competitive price either but work on the "hassle" factor that people won't shop around and will just get things done while in the dealer.
The other common tactics for "upsell" is air con service, oil flush, oil treatment etc. Usually which result in something being added to your bill without you actually having anything done to your car.

If they hit their targets for upsell, they get nice bonuses which is why they're so keen to try to talk you into unnecessary works.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've just had my 60,000/5 year service and MOT yesterday, as was explained to me prior as its a diesel it's only due an inspection service. (I was also given a tick sheet of what had been checked) I've read your other thread and if you are requesting a full service each year, this may not have happened if that request wasn't passed on, or they just went off the service schedule due.

I would ask for the copy of the check sheet to see what had been completed and by whom, if you weren't given it at collection.

·
Registered
203 Posts
But I assume the valves aren’t same as the sensors then on the wheels the show pressure etc?
The valve body does have the pressure sensing module built in on the inside of the wheel. So to avoid having to replace a relatively expensive item when new tyre are fitted to a TPMS vehicle it is standard practice to only replace the readily replaceable valve insert.

Eventually the entire valve fitting - including body and TPMS module - will need to be replaced though because the battery will expire.

Reactions: Daveyboy123
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.