Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am looking to swap my current car to a Niro PHEV. With lockdown and working from home then I no longer need a thirsty Jaguar diesel and think that for the amount of mileage that I will be doing in the future then a Niro PHEV makes sense. After doing an average of 20+K miles a year I have only done 4K since last March 2020.

I have managed to obtain a brochure for the PHEV and it seems to be pretty good and loaded with tech. Is there anything that other owners have found or items that I need to be aware of when looking at a used Niro PHEV?

I am also looking to charge the vehicle at home as msot of my mileage at the moment is school/nursery run and shopping. Does anyone have any good recommendations for home chargers that they have had installed at home and work well with the Niro. I would hope to be able to schedule charging for overnight so that feature would be great.

Finally, does anyone know what the warrenty is on the batteries? I spoke with my local dealer and he said that its all covered under the 7 year warrenty but when you start to look at the warrenty the they have different dates/years for various parts. They also stated that the batteries would deteriorate and this would be classed as Wear & Tear.

Apologies for all the questions and many thanks for your help here.

·
Super Moderator
6,215 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

In terms of charging at home you have 2 choices. Do you go for the 3.7kW or 7kW (later giving some future proof if you go full EV)

Warranty this is from KIA FAQ. Last section is the important bit as covers battery capacity.
Electric (EV) and Hybrid Vehicles
Kia covers the components of the EV and Hybrid vehicles for unlimited mileage up to 36 months, and for 100,000 miles between 37 and 84 months, from the date of first registration.

This specifically covers the following items not fitted to our standard car range:

Electric Vehicle (EV) System
Electric Motor
Gear Drive Unit
Battery Pack
Electric Power Control Unit (EPCU)
On Board Charger (OBC)

Hybrid Systems (HEV & PHEV)
Battery Pack
Hybrid Starter and Generator
Hybrid Power Control Unit
Auto Transmission & Traction Motor (including housing case, clutch and all internal parts)

Capacity Coverage of the High Voltage Battery Pack for Hybrid/Plug-in Hybrid (HEV/PHEV) and Mild Hybrid (MHEV 48v)
Capacity deterioration coverage is based on on-board diagnostic system information (DTC-Diagnostic trouble code). This HEV/PHEV battery capacity coverage is subject to the exclusions listed under the section “What is not covered”.

EV Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery
The Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery warranty covers a minimum capacity for a period is 84 months or 100,000 miles from the date of first registration, whichever comes first. This warranty covers repairs needed to return the battery capacity to at least 70% (65% for cars shipped after 01 August 2019) of the original battery capacity. Where possible, the original EV battery components will be repaired and will be returned to the vehicle. If unrepairable, the EV Battery will be replaced with either a new or remanufactured Lithium-Ion Polymer Battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd be curious to hear how easy it is to find a used Niro PHEV now - it seemed basically impossible last year, and I ended up leasing it instead.

I'm very happy with the car, also the PHEV comes only in somewhat luxury trims, so it's full of nice little touches/features.

As for home charger, I went with the EO Mini and been happy with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,215 Posts
I'd be curious to hear how easy it is to find a used Niro PHEV now - it seemed basically impossible last year, and I ended up leasing it instead.

I'm very happy with the car, also the PHEV comes only in somewhat luxury trims, so it's full of nice little touches/features.

As for home charger, I went with the EO Mini and been happy with it.
Must admit when looking for my new car a PHEV was what I wanted, but they are rarer than hens teeth... Especially when wanting top trim level.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have jusat gota ~PHEV2 and the ifo I was given about charging was that a 7..5Kw charger would charge the battery in just over 4 hours and the 3.5Kw in just over 3 hours. So I now have a 13 amp weather proof double socket installed on the front of our bungalow at the cost of less than £100 as opposed to several hundred for the 7.5 charger. On a sunny day I can get up to 2.5Kw from the PV panels on the roof and I am not going to argue about it taking an hour more to charge for that price.

At the moment the biggest problem I have is that because of the lockdown in the 2 1/2 weeks we have had it I've done all of about 20 miles! I am dying to see what it's like to drive more than a couple of miles?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have jusat gota ~PHEV2 and the ifo I was given about charging was that a 7..5Kw charger would charge the battery in just over 4 hours and the 3.5Kw in just over 3 hours. So I now have a 13 amp weather proof double socket installed on the front of our bungalow at the cost of less than £100 as opposed to several hundred for the 7.5 charger. On a sunny day I can get up to 2.5Kw from the PV panels on the roof and I am not going to argue about it taking an hour more to charge for that price.

At the moment the biggest problem I have is that because of the lockdown in the 2 1/2 weeks we have had it I've done all of about 20 miles! I am dying to see what it's like to drive more than a couple of miles?
John, are those timings correct? They seem the wrong way around.

·
Super Moderator
6,215 Posts
Timings I found when looking were.
Regular electricity outlet2.3 kW4h00m
EVBox 1-Phase, 16A3.7 kW2h45m
EVBox 1-Phase, 32A7.4 kW2h45m

As Niro can only charge at just over 3kW anything else is just future proofing.
Given most will charge overnight at home, the actual time to charge is not a issue, only if out and about does it become a issue. But then a bigger issue is cost of charge for 30 ish miles compared to the cost of petrol for the same distance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m trading my 2018 in at the end of the month for an eNiro.

The car has been a pleasure to own, only done 23k miles in three years. Only issue I had was a duff 12v battery.

Short journeys have been idea for the battery and charging, fuel economy is great.

Best bang for buck car I’ve ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just making sure that you are paying attention Graham :rolleyes::unsure:

I can't help being old? But it does save a lot of beer tokens. With the type of journeys we do we won't be going much further than Westonbirt Arboritum, 9 1/2 miles away or when I go flying my RC model gliders on the slopes around Stroud, max distance about 20 miles, so the petrol won't be a major factor.

Future proofing in our case is going to be for the next owner of our house me-thinks :cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just making sure that you are paying attention Graham :rolleyes::unsure:

I can't help being old? But it does save a lot of beer tokens. With the type of journeys we do we won't be going much further than Westonbirt Arboritum, 9 1/2 miles away or when I go flying my RC model gliders on the slopes around Stroud, max distance about 20 miles, so the petrol won't be a major factor.

Future proofing in our case is going to be for the next owner of our house me-thinks :cool:
Cheeky beggar!!
Sounds like my old stomping ground. Used to live near Wotton Under Edge before we got married and bought a house in Yate, and I used to rally in the lanes around that area with Dursley Motor Club.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Small world. My son lives in Dursley and we used to live just outside Stroud until we moved to France for 13 years. Now in NW Wilts.

Up until now the only real attery charging I've done is the LiPo jobbies in my RC models. LiIon batteries in the Niro PHEV are very similar, but a bit bigger! The thing that really surprised me was the way that the 13 amp cable just leaves the charger out in all weathers! Well, at least mine does?

I assume that it's weather proof :unsure::unsure:

·
Banned
513 Posts
I leased a Niro phev last year it’s a great car and as I only do local journeys really cheap to run, feels very well built certainly comparable to the Mercedes and jags I have had in the past. I used smart home charge for my charging point they were recommended by octopus energy, who is my electric supplier as I get cheap electric for four hours every night so it costs me 45p to charge the car, and also they give interest free credit to purchase the charging point, which I thought was an added bonus, if you want any further info about OctopusEnergy or smart home charge give me a shout. I got the Ohme charger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. All of this has been very helpful - too helpful as I took the plunge today and bought a 67 plate PHEV. Its being delivered next Wedneday. Its going to be a very long 6 days😂

I think once I get used to the charging situation then I will look for a home charger.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Well done I hope like many of us you will love the Niro, just remember if you need to use an extension lead to charge it with the three pin charging lead it needs to be of a quality capable of handling the load. Best of luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts